Alright Fellas

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Alright Fellas

Post by Shooter »

Let's talk Cushions!!!
I've been putting this off way too long.
My younger years, no problem with any of em, but now that I'm older and decrepit, it seems I'm gonna have to find something better.
Had my whole leg go numb several times last year on some long sits with gobblers roaming around for hours right in front of me, waiting for the right one to give me a shot.
The last time was horrendous. couldn't move an inch. It flared up my sciatic nerve, and took a week to get feeling back in my leg and foot.

Any suggestions on a killer cushion. I've had air cushions, always leak after some use. Hot seats, they were ok when you had nothing.
Cushions that come with vests, ain't near enough padding.

I'm all ears!! What's the best???
Fatmo

Re: Alright Fellas

Post by Fatmo »

Shooter I had the same problem, but I have 2 things that make it better. ! is a little stool with webbing for a seat I got at Cabelas. 7"
The other is an air cushion from awhile back, it is made of a car inner tube like bladder, don't see them anymore. I will try and lookup the name. I just use one or the other, depending how I'm hunting.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Small fold out green nylon webbed, w/black tubing seat(no back rest) that has a slight incline so you fit comfortably to the tree and has a carry strap :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
crenshawco

Post by crenshawco »

Hunt comfort makes the best cushion out there IMO. I think the one I have is called a fat boy or something like that.
Last edited by crenshawco on January 14th, 2017, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I have been on the search for the perfect cushion for many years. None that I have bought are even close to perfect. I really wish I knew somebody in the business that could make exactly what I want because I don't think it exists as of now.
My perfect turkey hunting cushion would be wearable seat. By that, I mean...I want a cushion that I can wear like a backpack(shoulder straps) with about an 8" wide back pad for leaning against a tree and a flip down seat cushion sorta like on a vest. Since I haven't worn a vest in many years, this would be perfect for me.

Good luck in your search.
Ultimate Predator
tazmo

Post by tazmo »

Hunt comfort fatboy
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I tried more cushions than I care to count & then got a seat like Charlie mentioned. 1 set of legs is shorter than the other so you can sit facing up or down hill. I have back issues so needed extra padding for my back that I stuck in the game pocket of my vest.

Then, several years ago, I found the Redhead Turkey Lounger. It sits up off the ground, has a back, & folds up for easy carrying with a strap. It is a little heavy but that equaled out when I got rid of the seat & back pads. You don't need to find a tree to sit against (except for safety reason) & it sets up quickly & easily. They list at $30 but I have bought them on sale for $20 or less.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Turkey-L ... 605235017/
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

The most comfortable setup I have used so far is definately the gobbler lounger from cabelas with a cushion from my Mossy Oak Super Elite 3 vest in the seat as well. Supports your back, sits low to the ground, and the cushion helps with comfort. Only downside is that they are a little heavy. I had a custom sack for mine made years ago by customgunsocks, they go by another name now, to carry it around on the run and gun days. I haven't found anything better for me. Hope it helps.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I heard of a guy in NY who just drives his truck in the field and sits in his truck. And he kills over the limmit. How comfortable are th seats in your truck?
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I have a gobbler lounger. It's been used A LOT more at ballparks than in the woods. Yes, I'm the redneck at the ballpark with a camo chair. It is just not good for my hunting style. I walk far too much and don't stay in one place long enough to justify carrying a chair. They are comfortable though.
Ultimate Predator
202P&Y

Post by 202P&Y »

This will be my 3rd season toting a gobbler lounger, wish I woulda started yrs ago. Dropped the vest and got a fanny pack so the weight is not an issue. I added a gun sling to it and did away with the factory strap. So comfy I had to get my wife one!
Proverbs 3:5-6
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

guesswho wrote:I heard of a guy in NY who just drives his truck in the field and sits in his truck. And he kills over the limmit. How comfortable are th seats in your truck?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arkansas Dave

Post by Arkansas Dave »

Gobbler lounger is by far the way to go. Let's you bend your knees. Gets you up off the wet ground. Has a nice back rest. No tree needed. Keeps you from slouching. Keeps you from sliding down a slope. I bought one and used it and thought "damn why I haven't I done this already." Won't leave without it now. I even bought a second to have as a spare, just in case.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Stool Softener,,,,seen it in a drug store once.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Hands down the Gobbler Lounger ! BUT theres one down fall ! You Will take a nap in one !
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

MKW wrote:I have a gobbler lounger. It's been used A LOT more at ballparks than in the woods. Yes, I'm the redneck at the ballpark with a camo chair. It is just not good for my hunting style. I walk far too much and don't stay in one place long enough to justify carrying a chair. They are comfortable though.
Exactly!!! We have two Gobbler Loungers, one with the carry case and sling. Nothing is more comfortable.
If I know where one is roosted or know where I'm going, it comes along.
But I spend more time than not out easing through the woods, looking for a gobbler. Going light, in other words.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Shooter wrote:
MKW wrote:I have a gobbler lounger. It's been used A LOT more at ballparks than in the woods. Yes, I'm the redneck at the ballpark with a camo chair. It is just not good for my hunting style. I walk far too much and don't stay in one place long enough to justify carrying a chair. They are comfortable though.
Exactly!!! We have two Gobbler Loungers, one with the carry case and sling. Nothing is more comfortable.
If I know where one is roosted or know where I'm going, it comes along.
But I spend more time than not out easing through the woods, looking for a gobbler. Going light, in other words.
Well find somebody to make a durable backpack cushion...and let me know where I can get it!
Ultimate Predator
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Damnit! Look at me posting stuff... Y'all have sucked me back in!
Ultimate Predator
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Well, just ordered one off of ebay, called a Beard Buster Jumbo. 3" thick, very wide seat, 12 oz. $25
Went on Hunt Comforts website, and looked at all of theirs. The Fat Boy looked promising. All kinds of different types of foam in the seat.
3" thick, nice and wide, almost 3 lb. $80
If this cheaper one doesn't work out, I'll drop some more money. :shock:
Nothing worse than your butt being uncomfortable.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

MKW wrote:Damnit! Look at me posting stuff... Y'all have sucked me back in!
now if they could just get you sucked back into making trumpets... :lol:

Tommy.. why don't you have MKW speak with you source (Lilly) and have some seats made across the pond?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

don't know what to recommend. i hope you find what you are looking for though.
El Sicario
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Sorry it took so long getting back to you Breedloves cushion and Cabelas stool. Never used a gobbler lounger but I may get one after reading all these posts.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote:I heard of a guy in NY who just drives his truck in the field and sits in his truck. And he kills over the limmit. How comfortable are th seats in your truck?
Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie!!!! smh
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

By far the gobbler lounger style chair is the most comfortable. You can usually get them from walmart in a mossy oak version for $19.99 or less at the end of the season. The only down side as others have stated is the weight. If you are wallking around all day they get heavy but for long sits they are a must. I use them while predator and deer hunting as well and you can sit for hours in them with no problem. If you are running and gunning a lot then it would be tough but if you are having issues with your body I would suck it up and carry it.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”