Mushrooms

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
RapscallionVermilion

Re: Mushrooms

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

A fellow hunter I met lost one of his labs, and almost lost a second one, to a bloom of LBMs the dogs gobbled up. Best guess is that they were some species of Galerina of which one Galerina marginata is a honey mushroom look-alike. The book Chanterelle Dreams, Amanita Nightmares has several chapters on poisonous mushrooms, mushroom poisoning, and how to avoid it. The whole book is a fun read of mushroom lore.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Sounds like an interesting hobby. I'm not really aware of edible mushrooms here in central AL; anyone know if we have any? Everyone used to say mushrooms were poison when I was growing up and I never really tried to learn about them. I know we have some of the psychedelic type, but not sure if we have any good to eat.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

We have a few edible ones. Fun to hunt and cook.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Steve, are you above the fall line? Probably have morels and without a doubt, chants which are pretty much everywhere. Gil
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Another internet source for identification and to learn about edibles is a link on the Missouri Dept, of Conservation website. The book I ended up getting is .." Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America". I don't have any other books to compare it to, but it does list all of the edibles and any look a like that could be harmful. It also has a pile of recipes. There are plenty edibles but I don't think they are all worth eating.....So far the oysters are my favorites.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

GLS wrote:Steve, are you above the fall line? Probably have morels and without a doubt, chants which are pretty much everywhere. Gil
Gil, I live well above it, but my farm is right on it. I'm sure I've spent my life walking right by edible mushrooms, but I grew up under strict orders to never touch them so I've never really researched them. I'd like to do that.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

poorcountrypreacher wrote:Sounds like an interesting hobby. I'm not really aware of edible mushrooms here in central AL; anyone know if we have any? Everyone used to say mushrooms were poison when I was growing up and I never really tried to learn about them. I know we have some of the psychedelic type, but not sure if we have any good to eat.
I've found morels while hunting near Talladega.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: I'm sure I've spent my life walking right by edible mushrooms, but I grew up under strict orders to never touch them so I've never really researched them.
Same here, and thats probably true for most folks. In the book recommended by RV, Arora describes our culture here in the U.S. as "fungophobic". I'd say that's pretty accurate. I'm trying to become an anti-fungophobe :D
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”