A Hawk in the Windbreak

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

A Hawk in the Windbreak

Post by HunterGKS »

I looked out 1 of my west windows around noon on Monday, 10/31/16 & spotted something under the pines in my west windbreak. I couldn’t tell what it was. I had seen a cat at the north end a couple of days ago. It finally moved enough so I could see that it was a hawk & it was eating something. I was able to get my camera & put on the long lens. I dropped the upper window & was able to take quite a few pics. I checked later &, based on a few feathers, it was a dove it had for lunch.

I’m not really sure what type of hawk. I think it’s either an immature red-shoulder or an immature red-tailed. Can anyone clarify?

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

crenshawco

Re: A Hawk in the Windbreak

Post by crenshawco »

Looks like a turkey poult killer to me. I hate those things
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Around here that would have been his last meal right before he felt the wrath of the 12 gauge.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

HunterGKS wrote: I’m not really sure what type of hawk. I think it’s either an immature red-shoulder or an immature red-tailed. Can anyone clarify?
Looks like a Coopers Hawk.

Last edited by hawglips on November 2nd, 2016, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I once saw one catch a bat out of the air.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx Hal. I've had 3 different responses on other sites. I contacted the Ohio Ornithology Society for help but haven't heard back from them yet.

I saw a redtailed take a squirrel out of a tree top, a baldy snag a snake, & an osprey harass a baldy into dropping a fish & then catching it just as it hit the water (on Fisheating Creek no less), all down in FL. Raptors are pretty amazing critters.

I have had a Coopers launch from the shrubs at my front door twice as I was walking out. I had to walk back in & change my drawers, if'n you know what I'm saying. LOL
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

This is the response I received from the Audubon Society:

Hello George,

I am replying through Western Cuyahoga Audubon in regard to your hawk ID. First of all, great photos. What you have taken photos of is a Cooper's hawk still in juvenile plumage. The bird was hatched this spring and has not gotten its adult plumage yet. Sorry, I can't ID what the hawk was eating, but it must have been something yummy for the hawk.

Here is what I am looking at on this bird, generally slim in shape. Red-tails and Red-shoulders would tend to be bulkier and as for Harrier, just not the right habitat. Note the white "eyebrow", note the long tail with distinctive bands and the tail ends with a light/whitish band, but not like the black and white bands of a red-shoulder and also note the puffy white feathers on the body just before you look down the tail. In addition, the teardrop shaped markings on the breast feathers.

Cooper's hawks regularly hunt our neighborhoods and pick up a meal in backyards where birdfeeders are stocked. Hope this was helpful.

Nancy Howell
Western Cuyahoga Audubon
George

Return to “Gobbler Talk”