WILDCAT CALL

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
quavers16

WILDCAT CALL

Post by quavers16 »

ANY member here ever hear of the WILDCAT CALL? I bought THE TURKEY HUNTERS DIGEST and I tried pulling a peg from slate tip to slate tip to get the sound that the Author was talking about. He said to use it while FALL GOBBLERS are still in their morning roost or if you don't know where a gobbler roost is. It sounds to me like 2 (slowed down--KEE KEES). Anybody here have LEON JOEHNNINGS book?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: WILDCAT CALL

Post by Hoobilly »

I am gonna look it up on youtube and see if theres any videos of one
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I have read about it, but never heard it, and I have spent many days in the woods over the last 62 years. If it exists, its gotta be extremely rare. I first read about it in a book written in the 40s by a guy who had been a fall turkey hunter all his life. He said he had heard only once, when a flock of gobblers had been separated just before dark the day before. He said the turkey did it on the roost and he said it sounded like a bobcat scream.

Maybe I have heard it and just didn't know what it was? Interested in seeing what others say about this.
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

The old time PA gobbler fall hunters used to use the term "wood-wits" when I first started talking turkey back in the 60's......wonder if this is not the same sound being talked about here in the male version ...???
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

It is possible many Fall hunters have heard the wildcat call -- including me and did not make the connection to roosted gobblers. My Fall turkey season in NY starts on the 15th and New Jersey starts on the 29th. I am going to a high point very early in the morning and try the wildcat call out. Don't know if I have it right though.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I was out this morning and since there was nothing roosted close to where I was-- I used the --wildcat call . Been trying to practice this call the way Leon Joehnning wrote in his book-- The Turkey Hunters Guide. I used a Knight And Hale OL YELLER pot with a rosewood peg. Went rim to rim twice as Twice is what Joehnning wrote about. I got some spaced out -deep clucks in reply! I moved in the direction of the clucks and saw where turkeys had just flown down and were now gone. I think it was a gobbler flock as I only heard 1 bird give those deep clucks. I am going to use this call again!!
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Since that book is rare--I got mine from Jim Casadas site--- I will write how LEON JOHENNING wrote when he used big and bold black letter. Here it is---QUE-E-E-E--ICK---QUE-E-E-E--ICK. i PRACTICED BY GOING FROM POT RIM TO POT RIM--NOT TOO FAST AND BEARING DOWN SOME ON PEG.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

WILDCAT CALL

Post by davisd9 »

Never heard of it. Would be neat to hear what the call actually sounds like, maybe I have heard it and just did not know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DC1.

Post by DC1. »

I have a video on my phone of a tame gobbler making a sound that may or may not be the wildcat call. Don't know how to post it but, if someone knows how and wants to post it PM me a cell number.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

I sent you a PM Quavers
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Here's the sound file Dale was talking about.

Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

I don't think many would associate that with fall gobblers...I'm sure we'll all heard it just never tied it to turkeysounds...
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I did some looking for mention of the WILDCAT CALL in my book collection. Around 25 or so now. Lovett Williams mentions the wildcat call on page 141 of his book- Wild Turkey- Hunting And Management. He wrote- to my knowledge, nobody has attempted to describe what the call sounds like other then to claim it sounds like a wildcat. He did mention Leon Johenning's-- Calling manual of 1962. That must be -- The Turkey Hunters Guide--1962. But Johenning did describe the wildcat call on page 34 of his book! I sounded it out- practiced some and used it right before sunrise. I got a quick reply of deep gobbler clucks. Perhaps 5-6 of them over 5 minutes. I got over to that area too late for a shot. The wildcat call works. I am going to try it again just before sunrise before my season is out.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

VAturkey--did not see ur pm.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

quavers16 wrote:VAturkey--did not see ur pm.
I sent you another PM !
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Hey there VATurkey-- I did read your 2 pm---I have no idea how to send a pm to you on this site. I might be interested in what you have at tax time.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I found another way of practicing the wildcat call. I really stretch out the word-"quick" by going clockwise on the Knight And Hale-- Ol Yeller pot from 12 oclock to 8 oclock. This gives quite the scream and is probably pretty close to what Johenning described. I hike year round -- often at sunrise- so I might hit the wildcat call at times while hiking.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”