Hookspur's 2016 Spring Tour

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I can't believe it's over so soon. Does anyone else feel this way? Seems like it was only last week when the first of these pictures were taken. Man, I think that I may have a turkey hunting problem...at least, that's what my now-ex-girlfriend told me in our last text. She may be right, but I can live with that. The gobblers were generally more silent this spring than in years past, but come rain or shine there was no way I wasn't gonna be out there in hot pursuit of 'em!

As y'all know, I always start out guiding in FL. Once again I went down early to scout, but after 5 days I hadn't found much to get excited about. After 15 years on these properties you'd think I'd have known better than to be worried, because once opening day arrived the turkey killin' commenced just like it always does. In the next 8 days all 7 of my guys got their Osceolas, and it only took that long because the final tom was an evil old rascal that fooled-n-schooled us for 3 days before sneaking in silent right before an intense thunderstorm that drove us from the woods.

The first 3 fellers were actually from my home town in Indiana, and we had BIG fun both in the woods and in camp. Here's Heath, his dad Gary, and Brian with Gary's unique tom (check out his tailfan...the middle feathers are shorter than the ones on the outside).

I didn't get a pic of Heath's opening-day bird, but Brian's arse-kicker of a tom is the next photo....he killed this bird in late afternoon, and in exactly the same spot as Gary had shot his in the morning.

Next up was a father-son team, and they were also a ton of fun to hunt with. John insisted that his son Chad got the first shot, and the hunt couldn't have transpired in a better, or more picturesque way. However, if people tell you FL doesn't get cold, then you can inform them that they don't know what they're talking about, because the three of us had to stand around for 20 minutes after the kill before we could stop shivering long enough to take pictures! The next morning John shot his tom from the exact same ground blind, and that gobbler walked within 10 feet of us before attacking my DSD strutter and getting a load of shot to the "all-over" for his efforts.

Then came Gregory...a 13 year-old young man out to get the 3rd leg of his Grand Slam. We had a classic hunt where we roosted a tom that walked away from us gobbling clear out of hearing range the next morning, so we then had to work hard and stay after it until calling in a pair of beautiful toms at 11 a.m. Gregory shot this one as he stuck out his neck in mid-gobble...as verified by excellent video footage his Dad Greg was shooting.

My final client for the year was Bradley, and we had a great 3-day chess match of a hunt which culminated in a memorable final episode and another very fine limbhanger.

These next few pictures are of FL also, taken as I traipsed around on public land and dealt with those evil, hainted Osceolas that I so-much love to hate. I'm telling ya, there isn't anything else quite like FL turkey hunting, and I eventually shot a couple birds in gorgeous surroundings. Being an El Nino year, it rained a LOT and I had to work my tail off for 13 days to get r' done. Yes, public land turkey hunting in the Sunshine State can be tough, but oh-so rewarding!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

As I was leaving FL I stopped to see if my Grandparents old house on the St John's River was still standing. This was a very special place in my life while growing up, and the flood of memories was almost overwhelming when I walked down the long driveway to find that it hadn't been bulldozed-in and replaced with a million dollar mansion (as most of the neighboring places have been). My Dad and I built what's left of this old dock out into the river, and he actually died in this house, so I'm sure you can imagine the thoughts and emotions that were running through my head. It was hard to see the old house in its present state, but it also felt like I was coming home.
ImageImage

Next stop was Virginia, where I was asked to guide for the VA One Shot Turkey Hunt. My 9-year-old hunter should've killed a bird, but his "ace" guide failed him terribly by not bringing a blind...thus forcing a fidgety kid to try and sit still long enough to get the drop on edgy birds in very open hardwoods. Five spooked gobblers later, I was really kicking myself for that boneheaded lapse in judgment! It was a great event though, and my little guy won a gun at the post-hunt banquet. I also gave him one of my books, so he is definitely hooked on this turkey hunting thing! After that I got down to some serious turkey hunting with my two good friends, Doug Pickle and Ken Greene. We had a blast in some of my favorite countryside in the nation, but I was only able to shoot 2 of my 3-bird limit before having to travel a whopping 2 hours to Delaware, where I had drawn a Season C permit on State Forest land. The first picture is Doug and I with birds we killed the same day in different spots, and the next picture is Ken and I with a tom we sorta lucked-into. There's no other way to explain a tom gobbling on his own at 75 yards in the middle of an extensive pine plantation when you haven't heard anything else for an hour! The 3rd pic is of a nest Ken found near the last picture site that had 17 eggs.
ImageImageImage

I wrote in my book that Delaware is one of my least favorite states to visit, but that's not because of the actual hunting! No, I've had a number of wonderful adventures in her turkey woods, and I've met some really top-notch people, as well. Spring of 2016 would provide more of the same, and this fine old gobbler below was icing on the cake for yet another memorable trip to the land of chickens and garbage. The feathers at the base of the tree are something that I do quite often...sort of a tribute to the bird. The three shotgun shell brass driven into the tree are also a tribute....to my screwing up the initial shot, then having to shoot the tom again as he ran by at 10 yards. Despite a 3-inch hole punched through his side at the top of the legs, he still had his head up after going down so I administered a coup de grace; thus, three shells for one turkey. Oh, well......shappo happo, and he was an excellent tom with 1-3/8" spurs.

From there I hurried back over to try for my final VA tom. Ken and I got to experience a spectacular afternoon hunt on the first day when you could stay in the woods past noon, and at 3 p.m. he pulled the trigger on a tom that gave us a great show. An hour and a half later I did the same. Then, we forgot to take pictures!

Finally, I came home to Indiana for a brief 3-day spell. There is something absolutely enchanting about walking out your own front door to go turkey hunting, and it gets even better when you spend the next 4 hours dueling with a fine old tom before finally calling him in and pounding him in the face. The ridgeline I shot this bird on is also just about the prettiest place in the whole world to me! I don't own it, but it's public land that borders my own little slice-of-heaven homestead.

Up until this point my season had gone pretty well. Little did I know that things were about to change dramatically, due to a trip to Rhode Island. I hadn't been there in 7 or 8 years, so I was anxious for the chance to hunt there again and visit with my old friends Mark and JP. I figured it might take 3 or 4 days to get a bird on this state's heavily hunted public land, but then I could go on to hunt MA, VT, NH, and ME before season's end. Well, Rhode Island might just as well have been the twilight zone for me, because in 12 days of hunting I heard exactly 3 gobbling birds....and one of these turned out to be a group of 5 jakes that I called in on the 4th day! Finally, on Day 11 I found a tom willing to gobble and act right, but another hunter boogered him as he was headed toward a showdown with my Benelli. The next day it was 9:30 before he gobbled from distant private land, and 11:00 before he worked his way back across the road to ground that I could hunt. At my first yelp he raced in, only to swing out around me so fast, and in laurel so thick, that I couldn't get a shot despite the range being just 15 yards! After he kept going on a hard march (gobbling like crazy the whole way), I got depressed and frustrated in thinking that my only chance in 12 days was over and done with. There were now only four days left in the season as well, and I figured the possibility of having to eat tag soup was very real...and I hate tag soup! But, there was still some time left on the clock before Delaware's 1 p.m. shooting hours ended, so I still had a glimmer of hope. It sounded like this tom went directly toward a trackhoe moving boulders on the neighboring private property, although as he neared this heavy machinery I could no longer hear him gobbling. I strongly suspected that he went right on around it and up onto the public land ridgeline above, which was scratched to pieces and where he'd roosted the previous day. However, I couldn't be sure so I sat awaiting confirmation. Finally, the trackhoe operator quit for lunch at 12:20, and within a minute of his machine shutting down I could hear the tom gobbling....right up on that ridgeline like I'd suspected. A quick sprint and a couple calling sequences later, and my RI tom was flopping at my feet. I shot him at 12:45, with 15 minutes to spare! The second picture is with my good buddy John P Smith (JP, or The Jeep'er). Yes, the hunting was oh-so-tough in RI, but we had a great time hanging around and eating LOTS of icecream in hopes of bringing us good luck!
ImageImage

Rhode Island took up far too much time, so I had to then alter my plans a little. Last spring I found a great farm to hunt along the Connecticut River Valley in Vermont, so that's where I headed next and once I got there it was not a problem finding turkeys....just ones with long beards! Every day I saw anywhere from 16-22 jakes, but for the first 3 days I couldn't find any adult toms. Then, I got on a longbeard that flew out onto an island in the river and gobbled from there all morning. I figured he'd eventually come back, so I left him alone and later that morning I found another tom north of there about a mile. I shot him after a short, intense hunt near these railroad tracks in the first picture. Later that afternoon I got to finally shake hands and visit with none other than the famous Cove, who had just finished up his own US Slam in NH the day before. We had a great time talking turkey and driving around looking for birds, and then we stayed up way too late in camp continuing to yack about this sport that so-drives our very souls. It's good to occasionally find other people who are as crazy as I am, and believe me....Dave Owens is certainly turkey-nuts!! The next morning I shot my island-hopping tom and headed for Maine, while Dave stayed around and harassed those VT gobblers.
ImageImage

With time running low, I then chose to finish up the season in Maine. Here are my host and hostess with the most'est....Henrick and Marivi, along with Alex the Dog. They are great folks, good friends, and we share a lot of laughs and good times. Marivi is also an aspiring huntress, so I was really hoping to help get her first turkey. I shot two good toms in the first 2 days, then spent a day hunting with another great friend of mine, Les Peters, a fellow turkey man (I say that as a high compliment) who works at LL Bean. Then, with only one more day to go before I had to leave for home with 30 live lobsters in the coolers, Marivi and I gave it a last great effort. At noon, with the temperature up around 88 degrees, we finally got a tom gobbling and coming in fast, but he hung up directly behind the stone wall we sat against, on someone else's property. He was only 15 yards away from us, where he gobbled, spit, drummed, and carried on for 25 minutes before wandering on down the wall and finally crossing into land where we had permission to hunt. But, he wouldn't come back to us, and eventually faded away. I asked Marivi if she got excited when the tom was gobbling virtually in our back pocket, and she told me that she thought her heart was gonna pop out of her chest. Maybe we didn't kill that tom, but there's no doubt that we have another turkey hunter amongst our midst!!! I can't wait to come back next year and see her smile when we make it all come together.
ImageImageImageImage

So ended the 2016 season. I spent 68 days out in the turkey woods and yet again confirmed for my soul that there is absolutely nothing else in the world I'd rather be doing. I hope y'all had good seasons too, and have enjoyed this little pictorial.
Last edited by hookspur on June 19th, 2016, 7:39 am, edited 11 times in total.
britton40

Post by britton40 »

Great Season!!
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hookspur's 2016 Spring Tour

Post by hookedspur »

WTG Doc sounds like a great season...
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

U' B' Rite Doc, U got a problem ... but it may be more that you're lookin' a tad bit older every year .. so it must be the strain & stress of all the huntin' :LMAO: :LMAO:

Congrats on another great year & thanks for sharin' those wonderful times you had :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fer'got to ask how the new "ride" preformed & handles with all the miles driven?? Could you have used to extra space the other one had??? :lol:
Last edited by soiltester on June 8th, 2016, 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

Great work Doc. Fine season indeed
Uncle Nicky

Post by Uncle Nicky »

I always look forward to reading your recap of the season Doc, glad to see you were able to put young Gregory on a bird. :salute:
MAK

Post by MAK »

Great season - living the dream - I'm envious! - Congrat's
MAK
KYFrid

Post by KYFrid »

MAK wrote:Great season - living the dream - I'm envious! - Congrat's

Same here! Congrats Doc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Awesome job, Doc!!! Even with the 12 day break you had another great year. You missed all the fun here in Pa. we all took a swing and strung out on a white winged stroker Next year.
I had a blast at camp in Fl. and met some pretty amazing people.
Take care buddy
Cove

Post by Cove »

Awesome Doc! It was a pleasure sharing a camp with you in VT. Look forward to catching up in a few weeks.

Your pictures "sit well" with me. . . those Florida palmettos and cypress heads make me itch for spring 2017 already. And that Indiana ridge top you're allowed to call home, man, one of the prettiest places I've ever had the pleasure of yelping to a turkey.

Congratulations on another fine season brother!
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Never seen that many eggs in one nest.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Awesome. Fantastic pics and write-up. That picture of the old mossy oak tree in Florida is a knock out. Thanks for sharing your turkey hunting travels. It was a "small world moment" when I learned from Les at LL Bean that I had just missed you in Maine.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Very nice I guess the shoulder must be all healed up to carry out all of those turkeys !
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

hookspur wrote:I can't believe it's over so soon.
Congrats on another great season Doc. I've been watching for your photos.

I can't believe it's over already either. I suppose it seems like I didn't hunt enough because I stayed in Montana. Although I hunted varied terain from one end of MT to the other, I sure could have used a shot of some hard gobbling Easterns. Both yours and Cove's posts are fantastic but remind me how much more time I wish I could have spent chasing the King of Spring, especially up and down the hardwood ridges.

I suppose I'll make it alright though chasing bugling bulls this September :D , but I'm already looking forward to spring 2017.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Congrats on yet another great season! I've always admired the way you will stay with an area for days at a time when conditions are tough.
milkman

Post by milkman »

Great post as always Doc
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Nicely done, Doc.. You are the master guru Samurai!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

You da man Doc. Love seeing those pics and reading those stories. One of these days we will share a tree together in the spring. Congrats
Eph 2:8-9
Burney Mac

Post by Burney Mac »

Nice season as always, Doc!
snapper1982

Post by snapper1982 »

Awesome!
strutnva

Post by strutnva »

Doc is the man no doubt, I had a great time with him 'this spring and am sooo glad our bird wasn't a pushover and took a while to get. I wanted to opportunity to watch him a little and work his magic. Some of his magic includes taking a little nap in the afternoon that I happen to have pics of and was cussed and accused of posting on the internet killing his business. I planning on sitting on these until I need a favor. Seriously it was a great time that I'll never forget. Congrats Doc on a great year!!!!
Earl

Post by Earl »

Living the dream.... Great pics and recap of a fun year!!!!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

congrats on a great season :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Lookin Good Doc!!! :thumbup: Looks like you've healed up pretty good, and back in the swing of things.
Congrats on another great season.
BTW,.... you turkey hunt much???? :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Thank you, everyone. I had a blast every single minute and can't wait for 2017!
BTW,.... you turkey hunt much???? :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
That STILL cracks me up, Tommy! :toothy7:
Some of his magic includes taking a little nap in the afternoon
Now Bradley, I do that to make the turkeys think I'm not paying attention...it's an old trick I learned long, long ago. ;)
Fer'got to ask how the new "ride" preformed & handles with all the miles driven?? Could you have used to extra space the other one had??? :lol:
The Transit does well Charlie, but I do miss the extra room. Despite trying to cull unused items, it seems like I carry more gear every year instead of less! :dontknow:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”