Hunting with a partner.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hunting with a partner.

Post by pedro »

This past Sunday my best buddy and I set out to kill some public land Wisconsin longbeards. He roosted one last Saturday and we were gambling on some birds being in the area. This is the first time we ever set foot on this piece of property. We set up not to far inside the edge of the trees and waited for the gobbling to start. A few birds sounded off the property for about 15 minutes before a bird less than 150 yards gobbled. After about five gobbles I Yelp softly and he answers. He continues gobbling on his own and continues to answer me. This went on for about an hour after shooting time, when he does not answer my call I assume he is moving. Not a few moments go by and I hear him spit then he comes in to view. He periscopes his head and my buddy lays him down with his 20ga m500 tss 30 yards. It amazes me what the other guy can hear when hunting together. I heard him spit but not drum, he heard the drumming but not the spitting. The next day I was Yelping on my pot call, when I finished he said "did you hear the gobble?" I did not. He gobbled on his own but took a few more gobbles for both of us to pin his location down. We worked him for a good hour and he went silent and never showed up. Got one within ten yards, but could not get the shot off due to brush. Awesome day and a half. Get back at em soon. His bird had a nice beard and 1 1/8 Spurs.
The Mossberg Mauler

Re: Hunting with a partner.

Post by The Mossberg Mauler »

What amazes me is what a difference of a couple feet will make in what you see and your partner see. Totally different. I watched a gobbler at 35 yards last week for 10 minutes. My buddy was about arms length from me and he never laid eyes on him.

Good luck on the rest of your hunt!
No Need To Count Holes In Paper. My Mossberg And Lead Kill'em Dead!!!!

I've wined and dined with Kings and Queens, and I've slept in the alley eating pork and beans.

Fox Trot Pro Staff Wannabe
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

We also had a hen ten yards out in the field and he could see it and I had not a clue. He is left handed and I am right. We got most angles covered.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Don't feel bad .. I'm headed to the hearing Doc. on Fri. and can't heat a gobble over 100 yds away :banghead:
Good goin' on land you've never hunted before :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

The Mossberg Mauler wrote:What amazes me is what a difference of a couple feet will make in what you see and your partner see. Totally different. I watched a gobbler at 35 yards last week for 10 minutes. My buddy was about arms length from me and he never laid eyes on him.
I am amazed at the ingenious instructions I give my buddy in this situation such as whispering "he's right there!" which really narrows it down in the woods. lol
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I always feel like im at a big disadvantage when I hunt with a partner. because, ive never got a gun. :cry:
El Sicario
hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

It is crazy the difference in what two people hear. I hunt with my dad some and he is almost 70. We were sitting in a bottom and I heard a gobble but it was jumbled probably a jake which sounded pretty close to where he was sitting. I asked him after the hunt if he had heard the gobble he responded no. He is yet to here a gobble this season. He was with me when I killed my first gobbler and he actually spotted him first. Hopefully I can return the favor this year. As I get older I know I will probably invest in some game ear devices to help keep my hearing on the level it is now.
Andy S.

Post by Andy S. »

The Mossberg Mauler wrote:What amazes me is what a difference of a couple feet will make in what you see and your partner see. Totally different. I watched a gobbler at 35 yards last week for 10 minutes. My buddy was about arms length from me and he never laid eyes on him.
I agree 110%. A few feet, horizontally or vertically, can make or break you, which we all know to be the case with turkey hunting.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”