Welp, I'm retiring Little Nellie

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

But only for the last two weeks of the TN season. She has been a wonderful girl this year, and the first time I've ever batted a thousand.
Have not shot one over 30yds either, but I doubt that had anything to do with, since I usually miss 20yds and under.
Just took great care with my shots this year. Even caught myself squeezing the trigger on the waddles, instead of just jumping on the trigger from excitement. Got most of my AL tag filled and most of TN. Got to watch 10 Toms die in front of me, from me and some close folks that hunted with me. Had a wonderful year in my book. A lot better than last year. I could barely walk then, and had trouble turning on birds that came in from my sides and behind. Had to just let those go.
I just pulled out my 3.5" Beretta and put it together. Have not even layed eyes on the gun in three years.
Just loaded 3 of the 2 1/2ozers, in the 6x8 mix, just for kicks. Probably literally!!! :toothy7:
Should get me through the season. If I run out of shells, got 4 of the 3" Blue Thunders I loaded Preseason.
My Stoeger 12 thinks I abandoned him, but he has seen more turkey than all the rest combined.

I don't know,... call me sentimental, or maybe even weird, but I for some reason, like to take each of my Babies for a few walks in the woods, if nothing else. :mrgreen:
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Welp, I'm retiring Little Nellie

Post by redarrow »

Hard as I try to hunt with something else I can't do it.For me its "Novacaine" and "Loud-n-boomin. My 20 ga. Nelli Nova and my Savage 110 in 30 06 for deer. I keep telling myself today Im gonna carry the .410. Come daybreak I got the Nova in my hand. Deer season rolls around and I try to make myself grab the Ruger in .257 Roberts or the TC in .243. But the Savage always wins.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

I too feel a bit guilty about not using some guns. I do want to shoot a bird with a hand loaded shell in my one of my 12s next year.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

Seeing I left my Weatherby 20 at your house, I'm gonna finish the season with my Rem 1100 and that smokin 2 oz of TSS 8's in a 2-3/4 power punch.

On another note, so thankful I got to share one of those kills with you.

Sent from my typewriter
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

Shooter, I see where you're coming from. I am having my best season ever, going 2 for 2 with great birds. Both with my trusty 870 youth. Well, I have my final tag left starting Thursday and am pulling out my good 'ol M2000. I loaded up some 1-7/8oz loads and hope to punch a primer for a trifecta. I actually took it out of the safe this evening to shoulder and play with. Nothin' like bringing out an original.
Congrats on a great season thus far.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

Shooter wrote: but I for some reason, like to take each of my Babies for a few walks in the woods, if nothing else. :mrgreen:
I guess im weird too then. I rotate my babies by the state. my good ol Mossberg always does its eating in Tennessee. :D
El Sicario

Return to “Gobbler Talk”