Tough Rio hunt...

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Tough Rio hunt...

Post by Reloader »

Dad, Pullit, and I chased Rios Thursday eve through Sunday morn and it turned out much different than all of the Rio trips I've been on in the past. We had a good time and managed to tag a few birds as well, so it was a good hunt despite the low population this season.

Thursday eve Pullit went to the honey hole(beautiful wheat plot in a river bottom) and managed to get a nice tom right off the bat. Dad and I drove around to several properties we normally hunt to scout and blind call a bit, but couldn't find any sign at all. We finally spotted a tom way off in a pasture adjacent to a property we could hunt, so we tried him, but he didn't want to cross the fence. Dad decided to try him the next morning and came up empty again. He got him to talk a good bit, but he wouldn't cross the fence again. It really wasn't ideal as he was in a clean cow pasture and the property we were on was brush, but it was worth a shot since it was the only bird we found Thursday eve. I tried several spots where we'd had success in previous years, but never heard a bird or saw any. It was a weird year, we always hear tons of birds and see them all over while driving around, but we didn't see them like usual and it was silent in most areas. We just had to run and gun. Pullit managed to bag another nice tom mid day Friday, so I decided to hunt with him as it was apparent his spot was the only area holding birds this year. We sat all eve, but no dice. They just weren't there like usual. Saturday morn I tried another area we'd had success in years past and actually called up some jakes, but never got on a tom. That afternoon I decided to go back to Pullit's honey hole and about 2pm we finally struck a bird in the creek bottom and it all unfolded quickly after that. He came out of the brush about 65yds out, strutted in to about 40yds, and I laid the hammer. Don't know if it was the tough season at home and there, but I was more nervous shooting that tom than I've been in a long time. My heart was beating so hard I could almost hear it :D

Sunday morn was silent as well.

New SA-459 officially broken in:

Dad didn't get a bird, a first for our group in TX as we usually get 3-4 a piece. It's hunting, so you never know. The guy who has the properties told us that they had some really cold weather and several snow and ice storms, so maybe that had something to do with it. The most concerning thing was that we always see tons of birds while driving around, but didn't see them this year. Heck, I've been out there at times and heard what sounded like 50+ some morns. For those places to not have any sign at all and be silent, sure makes it seem like something was up.

Looking fwd to chasing Rios again next year. Hopefully the birds will cooperate.

Good Luck,

Loder
hobbes

Re: Tough Rio hunt...

Post by hobbes »

Sounds like a tough year but still time well spent.
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Sorry you had a tough hunt in Tx., but it still looks like you got some nice birds.
How do you like the Weatherby, I'm looking at getting one?
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

congrats :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Fatmo wrote:Sorry you had a tough hunt in Tx., but it still looks like you got some nice birds.
How do you like the Weatherby, I'm looking at getting one?
I like it a lot. Light weight, but solid with the pistol grip. The pic base has a U shaped notch that is level with the rib and doubles as open sights with the fiber optic bead if your optic fails. I got lucky with the FF on this one and had it dead on with only two turkey loads. The factory choke is nonported and .575(winchoke/500/invector thread pattern) and actually shoots great with TSS. I've only shot it about 8-10 times, but it functioned fine for those few rounds. Trigger isn't bad on mine, about 4-3/4lbs, but I've heard some say theirs was bad.
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

it is strange when areas that had birds seem empty,,,,

congrats on the birds you did get, and at least you were on the hunt!!
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Tough Rio hunt...

Post by gophert »

Congrats on staying with it and getting a bird. It does make you wonder what the problem is.

Sent from my typewriter
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

It was a fun hunt, always is when you get to hunt with friends. The birds did not want to play like years past for sure. When you see more deer than turkeys you know something is way off.
Ronny's hunt with me only lasted about 4 min's from the first gobble to the boom. I got my gun ready to back him up after I saw the way the end of the barrel was shaking....lol.
I told Ronny, "the way you were shaking on this bird I am not sure your heart could have taken a 5 minute hunt".....

I will admit if you look at the first picture Ronny posted, the far end of the field is about 500 yards away and that is where my first bird came from. He came straight in but on a steady walk and I had to quit watching him until he got close, or I would have been shaking as bad or worse than Ronny.....guess that is what makes it so fun.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Oh yeah, thanks Ronny for the loan of your 870 yout gun after I dropped Weatherby and knocked the FF way off. It sure put the smack down on my second bird.

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

pullit wrote:Oh yeah, thanks Ronny for the loan of your 870 yout gun after I dropped Weatherby and knocked the FF way off. It sure put the smack down on my second bird.
No problem. I'm gona have to start charging for loaning you guns on our hunts lol.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Reloader wrote:
pullit wrote:Oh yeah, thanks Ronny for the loan of your 870 yout gun after I dropped Weatherby and knocked the FF way off. It sure put the smack down on my second bird.
No problem. I'm gona have to start charging for loaning you guns on our hunts lol.
At least I had my own shells this time.....

gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

I think you two deserve each other. I'm not sure either one of you could kill a bird by yourself....LOL. Congrats to you both!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”