Reccomendation for a youth firearm...

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
aristico

Post by aristico »

Id like to get my girls, currently 9 and 7, to start shooting a shotgun so i can take them with me next year to hunt....

Was wondering what u guys would recommend in a youth gun...maybe something in a 28 or 410....

Not sure if a 410 would be a good choice for someone with no experience unless the bird got real close....

Thanks in advance for your advice...
MeadowCreekMounts

Re: Reccomendation for a youth firearm...

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

28 gauge 870 would be a fine choice... maybe even a 410 as well. No need for an expensive gun when an 870 will do the trick.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

Just get them a 20 ga....my daughter started hunting with the 20 at age 9

Sent from my typewriter
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

like gophert says!

get a 20 870 and a good recoil pad. Kicckeez slip on tames recoil like not other. Limbsaver is also cheap and ez on recoil

If you into TSS, you can get a reduced recoil load for the youngsters and still have a 40 yard viable turkey killer
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

My kids started with an 870 Jr. in 20 ga. (1" shorter pull and 1.5" shorter barrel than a Youth model). However, two of mine are boys and I let them do all practice with cheap low brass ammo. I did all the 3" turkey ammo patterns.

My girl shot it with the low brass also but was a little more timid about it. I let her get too close to a red dot scope once and it got her. It didn't break the skin but scared the heck out of her. She's 14 now and I'd probably still pick it over the Youth model for her.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I should add that my kids used a monopod by HS that stretched to the underside of the barrel. It didn't hold up that well but served its purpose.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

The 870 Youth with 21" bbl and adjustable stock can grow with them to adulthood. The supplied Super Cell pad is plenty good as well. I personally prefer to have kids use a red dot of some type, it's much easier for them to aim.

This year's youth hunt with a youth 870:
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

Here's what my daughter has used since the age of 9. Rem 870 20 ga. w/ an attached Hunters Specialties V-Pod. Makes it easy for her to hold the gun on her shoulder while the birds are on their way.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”