Killed my first tss bird

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hooksnhorns

Killed my first tss bird

Post by Hooksnhorns »

yesterday mornin. He was a 2 y/o that I had called up for a buddy first weekend of season, and he missed. The turkey wouldn't close the distance as close as I'd liked him to, but I knew how far he was( had ranged a spot of grass close to where he was standing when it got light enough to check some ranges). I had watched him for almost 2 hrs, and he turned to leave after standing at this range for about 30 mins. I knew what my gun would do at that distance, but I wanted him closer. Anyway, he got enough, and started walkin off, I wasn't gonna let that happen.

That tss is some BAD stuff. I shot him from behind. Some shot hit low. I pulled a pellet, and a feather out from under the membrane on the outside of the breast meat. Almost COMPLETE penetration. I am shooting a 3" fiocchi load of 8.5s. I had heard it was tuff, but I had no idea...
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Killed my first tss bird

Post by Southern Sportsman »

How far, how far?!?
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

Well...

What's the rule on discussing any distance a bird is shot? Is there a max distance at which we can talk about here?
BrowningGuy88

Killed my first tss bird

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Hooksnhorns wrote:Well...

What's the rule on discussing any distance a bird is shot? Is there a max distance at which we can talk about here?
Nope
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

We dont shoot nothing on here unless its exactly over 40.1 yards
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

73 yds. Again, I knew what my equipment will do at that range. I would not suggest anyone attempting this without shooting at that distance at a large target, and a scope or red dot is a must. The pattern is dropping a good bit at that distance. I also shoot a leupy scope, with turkey plex. I knew where to bracket the turkeys head and neck in the cross/ circle reticle. I also wasn't gonna shoot at that distance, until he started leaving. ( I watched him standing at that distance for probably 30 mins) Those little 8.5s are some bad little dudes.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

HELL son,ain't no dang rules here jus so long as you grease the mods hands now and then. :lol:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

redarrow wrote:HELL son,ain't no dang rules here jus so long as you grease the mods hands now and then. :lol:
There's mods on this site??? lol
bowhunter2k9

Killed my first tss bird

Post by bowhunter2k9 »

Nice!!! Good shooting
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

Just curious as to what kind of drop you were seeing at that range.

A lot of people won't believe that you can get full body penetration by those little TSS BBs.
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

redarrow wrote:HELL son,ain't no dang rules here jus so long as you grease the mods hands now and then. :lol:
Lol, I hear ya brother. I just didn't wanna ruffle any feathers. The other site would evict my butt quick, fast, and in a hurry if I even thought about postin about this over there. I respect their wishes, so I don't talk about it over there. I just wanted to say I was surprised by the performance of this stuff. And, thanks for the positive feedback y'all.
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

gobblegobblegobble wrote:Just curious as to what kind of drop you were seeing at that range.

A lot of people won't believe that you can get full body penetration by those little TSS BBs.

In my setup and with the load I'm shooting, about 10". But if someone plans on shooting at any range over 50, they need to check their gun/load drop at different yardages.

Yea, it shocked me...
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

Hooksnhorns wrote:
gobblegobblegobble wrote:Just curious as to what kind of drop you were seeing at that range.

In my setup and with the load I'm shooting, about 10". But if someone plans on shooting at any range over 50, they need to check their gun/load drop at different yardages.

Yea, it shocked me...
Oh yeah, definitely. I don't want to shoot that far at turkeys. But we have some coyotes that run our fields as well.

Besides, I'm kind of wanting to check the pattern at 75 anyways, just to compare them to 40 yard targets from off-the-shelf ammo. :thumbup:
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Now all you have to do is post over there and get banned. Join the club for real.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

Congrats hooksnhorns that's awesome. Nice shooting as well. You gotta love the TSS and its capabilities!
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
BeardBuster

Killed my first tss bird

Post by BeardBuster »

Congratulations! I am new to TSS also. I've killed a few birds this year but nothing over 40 yds. Are you shooting a 20 ga? Also, are you shooting one of Hal's loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Johndoe wrote:Now all you have to do is post over there and get banned. Join the club for real.
:thumbup:
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

dang I knew I was doing something wrong,,,,,,,,,,,,,need to slip the mods a bill or two,,,,,,,,,,
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

BeardBuster wrote:Congratulations! I am new to TSS also. I've killed a few birds this year but nothing over 40 yds. Are you shooting a 20 ga? Also, are you shooting one of Hal's loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm shooting a 12, Hal's 3" fiocchi load.
Gunslinger1

Post by Gunslinger1 »

What are your 40 yd 10" numbers?
toasty

Post by toasty »

Hooksnhorns wrote:

Yea, it shocked me...
Or calculate it. I plugged your load into KPY Shotshell and got the drop of the shot. If zeroed at 50 yards, you get 10" of drop from 50 to 73 yards with your load. If you were zeroed at 40 yards, it would be an extra 12.5" drop to get to 73 yards. Wouldn't matter if you were cited for 40 or 50, they are both going to have lots of pellets that make contact with the bird.
strutnva

Post by strutnva »

congrats
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

Gunslinger1 wrote:What are your 40 yd 10" numbers?

Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

toasty wrote:
Hooksnhorns wrote:

Yea, it shocked me...
Or calculate it. I plugged your load into KPY Shotshell and got the drop of the shot. If zeroed at 50 yards, you get 10" of drop from 50 to 73 yards with your load. If you were zeroed at 40 yards, it would be an extra 12.5" drop to get to 73 yards. Wouldn't matter if you were cited for 40 or 50, they are both going to have lots of pellets that make contact with the bird.

So, if I had been zeroed at 40, the drop would be 22.5"?

Return to “Gobbler Talk”