Filming your hunts....

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
perrysbirds

Filming your hunts....

Post by perrysbirds »

Hi everyone,
Just wondering what everyone uses for a video camera that film their own turkey hunts?
I am doing some research as I want to purchase one but want as many opinions as possible before I decide...I have a couple in mind but I am in no hurry to make a purchase.
I am aware that I am gonna need certain other things to go along with the camera...also your help there would be great....looking at spending $2000 on a decent camera and I will get the other things as I go along.....I want to do this right the first time...
Thanks Perry
misfire

Re: Filming your hunts....

Post by misfire »

I have a Sony Handycam, a Covert on the bottom of my shotgun and two Go Pro's with remotes
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Filming your hunts....

Post by gophert »

If you are going to spend that much just go here. Lots of choices and information.

http://www.campbellcameras.com/Turkey-Packages/

Sent from my typewriter
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Before making a big investment in equipment, you need to ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish in your filming. If you are just doing it for your own enjoyment and are not planning on trying to put together professional-quality video productions (which umpteen zillion other people are doing now), you can do just fine with some of the $400-$500 "handycam" type cameras.

Another thing to consider is that to get quality footage of hunts, you basically have to have a dedicated camera man to get it right. In addition, everything has to work out just right to get everything on camera during a hunt. For most folks that have limited time to get out and hunt, that can become an issue. That also gets compounded if you are hunting places that are not loaded with birds and calling opportunities might be limited.

I started filming hunts back in the mid-eighties, right when the first "portable" camera units were coming out. I spent quite a bit of money on a good camera,...and it was fun for a while, but I eventually got tired of complications involved with trying to hunt and film at the same time. I could have spent a lot less money and accomplished the same thing. Make sure you (and at least one "somebody else" that is willing to be the cameraman) are really dedicated to doing it before spending a bunch of money on "stuff".
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

GobbleNut wrote:Before making a big investment in equipment, you need to ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish in your filming. If you are just doing it for your own enjoyment and are not planning on trying to put together professional-quality video productions (which umpteen zillion other people are doing now), you can do just fine with some of the $400-$500 "handycam" type cameras.

Another thing to consider is that to get quality footage of hunts, you basically have to have a dedicated camera man to get it right. In addition, everything has to work out just right to get everything on camera during a hunt. For most folks that have limited time to get out and hunt, that can become an issue. That also gets compounded if you are hunting places that are not loaded with birds and calling opportunities might be limited.

I started filming hunts back in the mid-eighties, right when the first "portable" camera units were coming out. I spent quite a bit of money on a good camera,...and it was fun for a while, but I eventually got tired of complications involved with trying to hunt and film at the same time. I could have spent a lot less money and accomplished the same thing. Make sure you (and at least one "somebody else" that is willing to be the cameraman) are really dedicated to doing it before spending a bunch of money on "stuff".
Yep this is spot on. I video just for the fun of it and so I can have video of me and my daughter hunting for years. I probably have about $800 in my setup and I can get great HD videos. I do all the filming pretty much. I do have a friend that goes with me and videos the hunts when I'm pulling the trigger. That is the only way to get a good video as said before.
fountain

Post by fountain »

im using a cheap Kodak playsport. I just want video..doesnt have to be the greatest out there and its not. im out there to kill, I quickly grab the camera and tripod if I remember to and if I have time. I originally got it to take pics in the woods and also video if I wanted to. it does ok for me. ive videoed 3 hunts this year so far and gotten 2 kills on camera
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Wow great points.......I always have someone 90% of the time out with me hunting.....most of the time I am calling birds for other people so I think this is where I will benefit getting knowledge of how to film....however you guys are exactly right someone on MY hunts needs to know how to do it 100% of the time....also I love just being out in the woods scouting and getting footage away from the hunt....
Awesome feedback so far....
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

For personal use I just use a little Sony Handycam, I think it was under $100 on eBay. I bought a couple extended batteries for it and a 32GB card. It's plenty good for that, especially at turkey ranges.

Now, my brother used to film for Wired Outdoors and had a really nice, pro camera. It is a hassle carrying that thing around. I'd much rather sacrifice a little quality to be able to throw the Handycam and a light tripod in my backpack than to carry around something else that weighs more than twice what my shotgun does.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I have a panasonic handy cam that cost 300 bucks new and a cheap tripod I bought at walmart for 25 bucks. I put it in my vest and it takes no time to get out and set up. I self film and don't always get the greatest film but I have gotten many important ones on film including my first Osceola ! It can cramp your style sometimes but if you want to film then you have to deak with it ! I also bought a cheap arm for the tree when in a tree stand to film deer and bear hunts. Also with the remote control and the tripod it helps for taking those hero shots after the hunt !
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Filming your hunts....

Post by gophert »

Here's my set up. Canon HD camera with wireless remote. Rode video mic and a wireless mic for the hunter.

Here's a random video:
http://youtu.be/oKNvP6KCWLI

Sent from my typewriter
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I HAD one just like gopher until it got stolen. Awesome little camera, will do anything u need it to do. Messing with it I think I had 9 kills on film and was absolutely floored at how vibrant the color was and how clear. Find out how much you are gonna film before going all out.

If u are just playing around and filming for yourself that is the route I would go, putting some money towards a mic, quality tri pod, xtra battery etc.
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

gophert wrote:Here's my set up. Canon HD camera with wireless remote. Rode video mic and a wireless mic for the hunter.

Here's a random video:

Sent from my typewriter
What canon camera is that.....thats great footage....
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

perrysbirds wrote:
gophert wrote:Here's my set up. Canon HD camera with wireless remote. Rode video mic and a wireless mic for the hunter.

Here's a random video:

Gopher was a big help to me

Sent from my typewriter
What canon camera is that.....thats great footage....
I hate to speak for him but it's a Canon vixia 300. I had the 400 and I know they now have a 500 or more. Dude by one and spend money on other accessories.
HarleyRiders97

Post by HarleyRiders97 »

I use a Canon XHA1 camera and record to a CF card via a Datavideo DN-60 recorder. I use a Rode shotgun mic for better quality audio. This, in my opinion, is the 'cats ass" for turkey video. It has a 20x zoom lens and is all you will ever need. Numerous light adjustmants for all types of lighting conditions. It works well for me!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”