SC birds 1 and #2

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
WoodMoose

SC birds 1 and #2

Post by WoodMoose »

took the first bird on Thursday

I hunted opening day (Sunday) and heard absolutely nothing,,,,,,seen a few birds but none wanted to play,,,,,,,work then took me to VA (did manage a shad trip on the way back),,,,,,,

I slipped out Thursday AM,,,,3:30 hit the road down to the club,,,,,,,,signed out for an area that I knew normally has birds,,,,,,,heard one gobble at 6:30 and slipped in that direction,,,,he was just off a clear cut roosted in a swamp,,,,,

I crossed a canal (dang snake boots aren't waterproof anymore) and got set up in the corner of the clearcut and am about 80 yds from him best I can tell,,,,,,,make a couple of soft calls and hush,,,,,he gobbles and gobbles some more,,,,,,,then I hear the hen fly down behind me,,,,she crosses into his swamp and I hear no more,,,,,,,,,,,waited 15 minutes,,,,,checked out the swamp and decided I'd go explore some and come back in a little bit to check on him,,,,,,

I come back an hour later,,,,set up,,,and here he comes with a buddy,,,,,,,,,,dies in the swamp he roosted in,,,,,

no record setter but I like him! and it's SPRING!!

his head and neck hit water,,,,dang wet down there still,,,

Bird number 2

I like hunting after thunderstorms,,,,,,,,,

got down to the hunt at 0500 this AM,,,,,went to an area where I had seen a nice bird on Thursday (during my "walkabout"),,,,,he was with a hen on Thursday and I was wondering if he'd be in the area,,,,,not a sound,,,,heard some gobbles way off but with my hearing it's hard to tell direction,,,,,,,,anyhow waited till 8 to hear something close and no luck,,,,,,so proceeded to walk the block,,,,,,,

3 miles later I seen a bird but some folks came in from another block and we messed each other up,,,,,,

I went back to the clubhouse, signed out for a different area and walked it out,,,,,,mainly scouting as that area was flooded for months,,,,,,got my last camera out of the woods during that walk,,,,,

3 1/4 miles later I was back at the truck,,,wet (thanks thunderstorm),,,,heard nothing but seen some small amount of sign so they have moved back in after the flooding,,,,,,

went back to the original area (we can hunt two areas per day only),,,,,,,,waited out another thunderstorm,,,,,decided to hit a couple of old logging decks and blind call to see what might come in,,,,,

got to the first one at 3,,,,,pulled out the boat paddle and played it for a few licks,,,,30 seconds or so,,,,,,,,waited 15 minutes and did it again,,,,,,,2 minutes later he come off the dirt road into the logging deck about 130 yds from me,,,,stopped and looked around,,,,,,,I soft yelped and purred,,,,,,he came running 20 yds or so,,,gobbled and kept coming,,,,,,,he'd stop and look around and then keep coming,,,,,,,

let him get to 10 yds and ruined his day,,,,,,,,

bird #2 in the bag at 3:30,,,,,,,,,,

I like prospecting after a thunderstorm,,,,,,,,used to work on Bragg when I hunted it a lot and works elsewhere as well,,,,,,,,

that boat paddle box call was custom made by Danny Lane of West Virginia,,,,a friend that I served with had it made for me for my retirement,,,,,Mr Lane gave credit to Neil Cost's book for the inspiration for this call,,,,,,,it's one of my favorites but I only use it once in a while (I am hard on calls and don't want to break it!)
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: SC birds 1 and #2

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Great hunts and stories...congrats!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Congrats on a couple fine hunts and Birds..
strutnva

Post by strutnva »

nice birds, congrats
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

:thumbup:
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Good job :thumbup:
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

gooder stuff! :thumbup: wtg!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

That looks a lot like a club I hunt, and I ate breakfast with a guy at our club this weekend that looks just like you...lol it a small world. Congrats on the birds JP, you doing way better than I am out there.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

El Sicario
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Sweet :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Nice birds!
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

very nice, congrats :)
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

SCtrkyhntr wrote:That looks a lot like a club I hunt, and I ate breakfast with a guy at our club this weekend that looks just like you...lol it a small world. Congrats on the birds JP, you doing way better than I am out there.

you know it, Dusty - love that place,,,,,,,,and your just saving yours for later in the year! I was hoping to head down today but have to many work items to take care of,,,,may head down this afternoon to poke around some to see where I can get to for this weekend,,,,,,,
202P&Y

Post by 202P&Y »

Good deal! 1st bird is dark, I like it
Proverbs 3:5-6

Return to “Gobbler Talk”