Tennessee public hunting

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
K9Doc

Re: Tennessee public hunting

Post by K9Doc »

I have to very respectfully disagree with Hobbes.
Social media has ruined my favorite
AR public land duck hunting as well as MS
Public turkey hunting.
It may sound greedy, but i long for days
Gone by when i was the ONLY Guy in the
Woods on thousands of Acres.
Those days are LOOOOONNNNGGGG
GONE!!!
So. Im now like The 7 year old gobbler.
I dont gobble, Just Drum. .........
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I dont doubt that social media has made info more readily available. Not to mention the mentality of a younger generation that tells and shows all on social media. But......I believe the dollars involved in hunting now has as much to do with increased pressure on public land as anything. I used to have acres upon acres of private land that I could bowhunt whitetais, duck hunt, trap, you name it in Southern IL. Once leasing became prevalent and fat wallets became involved, my available land dwindled. I'm fortunate and still have some family land available but others have had to cram onto public land.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Rockhound wrote:
turkey_slayer wrote:
hobbes wrote:The last discussion I saw on TN had several fellas swearing that TN was a primary destination for every turkey hunter in the nation and those out of state hunters had ruined the hunting there. The conversation went down hill quick. I dont think the thread was here.

If you're in Western KY you should be somewhat familiar with LBL. I suspect you are too late for the quota hunts but I think you can still hunt afterwards.
Out of state hunters have never ruined hunting in any state for any species. They just jealous someone not from the area goes in and pops their limit lol. No but seriously mid and west Tenn has the highest population. Eastern part is more mountainous. You probably can't wrong with any national forest. May take a day or 2 to find the birds though

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
No jealousy from me at all, I like meeting new people and seeing them be successful, but the wma in question has absolutely been destroyed by out of staters and alot from across the state. It was ruined by one guy and the Internet. Even he sees and realizes what he has done but it can't be taken back now. I seen a guy from Michigan being chased by warden's a year or so ago because he emptied a mag of 22 long rifle into a group of strutter and hens out of his truck window on opening day, beside a parking area. There were some guys on the other side of the birds and bullets were glancing off of tombstones. This isn't all the crazy stuff I've seen
Was the guy from Michigan Icdedturkes?
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk[/quote]

No jealousy from me at all, I like meeting new people and seeing them be successful, but the wma in question has absolutely been destroyed by out of staters and alot from across the state. It was ruined by one guy and the Internet. Even he sees and realizes what he has done but it can't be taken back now. I seen a guy from Michigan being chased by warden's a year or so ago because he emptied a mag of 22 long rifle into a group of strutter and hens out of his truck window on opening day, beside a parking area. There were some guys on the other side of the birds and bullets were glancing off of tombstones. This isn't all the crazy stuff I've seen[/quote]
Was the guy from Michigan Icdedturkes?[/quote]

Come to think of it, I think the vehichle did have a Gobbler Nations' sticker of the back :LMAO:
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

PM sent
Mike
Warrent423

Post by Warrent423 »

Public land is public land, no matter what state it may be in. For someone to say a certain piece of public ground was ruined by pressure and googans is ridiculous. Heavy pressure garantees educated turkeys, which means there are always gobblers to hunt. You just need to be good enough to kill them ;) South Cherokee NF, around Tellico Plains, is loaded with ridge running, well educated, truly wild turkeys.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Gobbler wrote:[
Was the guy from Michigan Icdedturkes?
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

:stir: I heard that was true..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
madmike1977

Post by madmike1977 »

Warrent423 wrote:Public land is public land, no matter what state it may be in. For someone to say a certain piece of public ground was ruined by pressure and googans is ridiculous. Heavy pressure garantees educated turkeys, which means there are always gobblers to hunt. You just need to be good enough to kill them ;) South Cherokee NF, around Tellico Plains, is loaded with ridge running, well educated, truly wild turkeys.
Maybe some years but 2014 was not one of them. I`ve been at this game long enough and never seem to have any problems finding or harvesting turks anywhere else in the u.s. After driving and walking countless miles for seven days. Seeing vehicles parked at almost every gate, seeing only 3 fresh scratchings and talking to at least a half a dozen other hunters. Including the one that was with me who has over 40 years of turkey hunting experience. I concluded that that particular area was a dead zone that year. I also failed to mention that in 7 days of hunting neither of us heard a single gobble or gunshot. I will say that the people at the gas station said the people that hunted the low lands around the NF were killing a few.
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Warrent423 wrote:Public land is public land, no matter what state it may be in. For someone to say a certain piece of public ground was ruined by pressure and googans is ridiculous. Heavy pressure garantees educated turkeys, which means there are always gobblers to hunt. You just need to be good enough to kill them ;) South Cherokee NF, around Tellico Plains, is loaded with ridge running, well educated, truly wild turkeys.
On a place as big as what you are talking about, I wholeheartedly agree cowman, but the place I speak of is only 12000 acres and broke up in areas of anywhere from 10 acres to 500.

It's bad. Could I kill a turkey there? Most likely, I've done it several times before... will I be there Saturday morning? HELL NO.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”