decoy movement

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
fisherxp

decoy movement

Post by fisherxp »

How important is decoy movement??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: decoy movement

Post by HunterGKS »

Personally I don't think movement is all that critical. With that said, you don't want your dekes spinning like tops on a windy day. Depending on the deke, I put a stick in the ground about 2" away from the tail or another part of the deke on either side. This allows a little movement but not in excess. Sticks are part of the natural surroundings & won't spook birds.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Decoy movement is killer. Thats why some states like Michigan make it illegal unless its by the natural wind !
fisherxp

Post by fisherxp »

I've had a lot of trouble the past few years with decoy shy toms and wondered if a lack of movement was contributing to the problem. Last year I invested in a radio controlled base, cut the legs down so it would sit at ground level and mounted it with a Dakota, half strut jake. Also added a lone hen to the mix. My last four trips of the season I pulled in 6 toms, passed on 3 and killed 3. It sure looked like they were responding to the moving decoy but it was late in the season and the toms were really looking and probably more receptive. It's got me thinking.../
TheWoodsman

Post by TheWoodsman »

You already have the answer to your opening post....?
fisherxp

Post by fisherxp »

Maybe I do.....but I'd still like to know what you guys think...
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

There was a post on here about a company that had a set up with a tom on a remote car base. I am not really one to be upset by what others use when hunting turkeys but I have to say that seemed really sad. Might just as well throw out some golden nuggets as well !
fisherxp

Post by fisherxp »

Yeah...there are a lot of modern contrivances out there designed to increase hunter advantage; in addition to movable decoys, we have an arsenal of tight-choked, magnum shotguns, that in combination with hevi-shot, can kill turkeys at twice the range; also life-like decoys sporting real fans, etc. There are also electronic calls on the market. This seems to be the process we go through routinely with all types of hunting and fishing gear. Where do we draw the line...if, in fact we should?? I cannot cannot, however, concur with your observation that using any of these products, and specifically motion decoys, should be put on par with "throwing golden nuggets" as you put it.
hootn

Post by hootn »

Fishing line.............
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I was talking about the guys that put the decoy on the remote car then drove it out into the field so that the toms would chase it into range then shoot. I figure i'd save the money on the car and just sit on a corn pile LOL. Although it might not be as amusing as watching those old toms falling all over each other trying to run down that turkey on wheels !

As far as decoy movement I have mine on a stake and it will rock in the wind. I have found that on windy days when it has movement it makes a big difference on getting the toms attention. I also was sitting on a field bird a few years ago and he wouldn't come in to the decoy . I told a buddy that he could go hunt him as I needed a change. I ran into my buddy later that day and he was smiling ear to ear. He had that big tom with well over 1 inch spurs in his truck. I said how did you get him. He told me when the tom got out in the field he tugged on the fishing line attached to his decoy a few times and that old tom just couldn't stand it and came right in.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”