Gobbler Callers

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
quavers16

Gobbler Callers

Post by quavers16 »

How many members here use gobble callers in their Spring Hunting? My fav is the Red Wolfe gobble tube and 2 boxes that I bought from Melvin Newman and my Steve Turpin- Teak box. Just took out the 1st call I ever bought today. It is a D-BOONE- SUPER GOBBLER. Bought it in 1990 in a huge bargain box for 6.99!! It is a green plastic box-(pat-pend) and throws out a perfect 2 year-old tom gobble!!Probably not many people have one and who knows when the last one was made.. As a sidenote---when I was going through that huge box-The Sporting Goods guy said loudly---You will never take a turkey!!! What a thing to say to someone who had yet to take his 1st Spring hunt. He was right for 5 years though as I had no (mentor). Not many turkey hunters in Orange County, New York in 1990. Up to 108 today though--where is that guy-LOL!
The Mossberg Mauler

Re: Gobbler Callers

Post by The Mossberg Mauler »

I use one. They can be deadly. I Have run into one or two folks who cheat and use a Cass Creek electronic call for the gobble, and probably yelps, cuts and purrs too.
No Need To Count Holes In Paper. My Mossberg And Lead Kill'em Dead!!!!

I've wined and dined with Kings and Queens, and I've slept in the alley eating pork and beans.

Fox Trot Pro Staff Wannabe
coytclr

Post by coytclr »

quavers16 wrote:How many members here use gobble callers in their Spring Hunting? My fav is the Red Wolfe gobble tube and 2 boxes that I bought from Melvin Newman and my Steve Turpin- Teak box. Just took out the 1st call I ever bought today. It is a D-BOONE- SUPER GOBBLER. Bought it in 1990 in a huge bargain box for 6.99!! It is a green plastic box-(pat-pend) and throws out a perfect 2 year-old tom gobble!!Probably not many people have one and who knows when the last one was made.. As a sidenote---when I was going through that huge box-The Sporting Goods guy said loudly---You will never take a turkey!!! What a thing to say to someone who had yet to take his 1st Spring hunt. He was right for 5 years though as I had no (mentor). Not many turkey hunters in Orange County, New York in 1990. Up to 108 today though--where is that guy-LOL!
I use one, just have to be careful where you use it.
I have one of Red Wolfe's gobble shaker, but to much movement to use. I use a Tube Call that I made out of wood, based on the Old Quaker Boy tube call.
I have hunted New York since 1982, first in the Wellsville, NY, area a few years, and then up towards Albany, NY since. Never ran into any turkey hunters for years, but about 20 years ago, we knew the area we were hunting was being hunted before we made our trip, as you could get a gobbler to respond to owl hoots, up till then, and now they just will not respond to owl hooting. Most of the turkey hunters we come across our from Mass.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

man that Harrison boy using a mouth call to gobble with is really good..

I offered to buy him but they wouldn't sell him

If I could gobble with a mouth call..

us turkey killers got to start somewhere. I don't know how many I have killed

when people ask me how many, I tell them "all of them"
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Although I very rarely gobble to try to get a bird to come in, I use a tube call religiously as a locator for roosted birds. A good loud gobble on a tube will get birds to respond when other sounds, including a gobble on a less-loud call like the shaker-types, will not. I don't like gobbling much when I am actively hunting,...just really haven't tried it enough to know how effective it might be,....not to mention the safety issues involved.
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

I have tried them all extensively over the last 30 years in Mississippi, and ONLY the very best sounding ones work. Of course, we do have some of the hardest to kill birds that exist. The Hale Fire is the one I have seen more get killed with than any other, but it is difficult to learn to blow. The Haint is really good too, but only about 1% of hunters can make it talk. People that are really good on a duck call usually have the most success with gobble calls. Even if you can make it sound good you have to know when and when not to use it.
wvmntnhick

Post by wvmntnhick »

I've used an HS gobble tube for years. It's made several tight lipped birds open up over the years. It's also made some birds shut down. I've found the gobble to be a bit of a give and take. Got a tube call last year and really enjoy using it. This is an actual tube call, not the gobble tube. It was made by a fella that is the president of our dog hunting club. I've practiced with it for a while and have found that yelps, clucks and purrs are easily made. The gobble, while harder, sounds much better when done properly. That'll be my gobble replacement this year.
BuckyT

Post by BuckyT »

A non hunting family member gave me one a few years ago for Christmas. I smiled and said it was "Great!".. lol

It's a shaker style call.. I've never used it, don't even keep it in my vest.. I've heard they can be useful on a hung up bird etc.. Not really my cup of tea.

My buddy has one of those "Haint" gobble calls. I can't roll my "R's.... so I can't run it worth a flip.. He can and he sounds pretty close to a real bird when he blows that thing. A few years back we were hunting on our private lease and he pulled that thing out around 12pm. He called and we heard a truck door slam on the neighboring property, a diesel fire up, and heard him race down and stop it.

Knowing what we had going on, we eased back a ways, and he let it rip again. Then we heard a couple of faint yelps. He ripped it again. Silence, then the yelps were closer.

Our camp is literally only 150yds or so yards away from the property line, so we went back to camp, pulled up a couple of chairs, popped a couple of brews, and worked that hunter for quite some time. LOL! My buddy would gobble and I'd cut back at the fella doing his best to ease in as close to the property line as possible, and get that ole gobbler to commit. LOL! He finally gave up after 45 or so minutes or either started giving us the silent treatment. LOL
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I don't carry a gobbler call, but I can make a decent gobble on the tube call. I've killed/called in 3 birds that, without a doubt, came to my gobbles. I don't do it very often at all, and I've always tried it as a last ditch effort, usually after working a bird for a couple/few hours. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Every time it's worked, it's worked well....they've come running.
60% of the time.....it works every time ;)
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”