Tube Call?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Tube Call?

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Somebody recommend a good tube call for me. I've been wanting to add one to my arsenal for a couple years, but haven't done it yet. Who uses one?
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
tubecaller10

Re: Tube Call?

Post by tubecaller10 »

Southern Sportsman wrote:Somebody recommend a good tube call for me. I've been wanting to add one to my arsenal for a couple years, but haven't done it yet. Who uses one?
I use one lol. I use a molded plastic tube call that Houndstooth Game Calls makes. its not expensive but light and all turkey. Tube call reminds me a lot of a wingbone call, it takes practice, but once you learn how to run it, it really increases your chances to locate one when nothing else will.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Contact Kevin Kirkpatrick if you are on facebook. He turns out some fine looking and sounding tubes.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I use one dang near exclusively. It's not just a locator for me. I'd be lost without my tube call. I can't really make a recommendation, the ones I use are no longer made. Although I'd be glad to help you out if I can, once you get one.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

I use them a lot and make them. If I can help you out, shoot me a pm.

Jeff Jones
Burlington, Wv
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Honestly, besides the ability of the tube call user, I think it is the latex and how it is stretched on the tube that makes the call, not the tube itself.
crenshawco

Post by crenshawco »

I've got a Matt McClain that I like a lot
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I've got a nice one that I bought from a call maker on one of the forums several years ago, but I've never practiced enough with it to become proficient.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Well, I ordered the molded plastic call from Houndstooth. Years ago I stated using custom turkey calls almost exclusively because they are so much better than production call, but I figure I can cut my teeth with a $10 tube and then move up to a custom wood tube later. Thanks for the suggestions.

Where do yall buy the replacement latex and bands for them? I assume there are different latex types and thicknesses like mouth calls?
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

Southern Sportsman wrote:Well, I ordered the molded plastic call from Houndstooth. Years ago I stated using custom turkey calls almost exclusively because they are so much better than production call, but I figure I can cut my teeth with a $10 tube and then move up to a custom wood tube later. Thanks for the suggestions.

Where do yall buy the replacement latex and bands for them? I assume there are different latex types and thicknesses like mouth calls?
#20 O ring from lowes and pioneer sells a lot of different latex to try.
wvmntnhick

Post by wvmntnhick »

I've got one of lumberjacks tubes that he made as mentioned above. It's a great tune and he puts some heart into the product. I'm getting at least one more tube if not a couple from him this weekend as well as a trumpet he made. Never used a trumpet but he made it sound good on the phone. Pumped up.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Once I get the hang of tube calling, I'll definatly move up to a custom job. I'll definatly keep you in mind, lumberjack.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Southern Sportsman wrote:Well, I ordered the molded plastic call from Houndstooth.
That was fast.
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

Southern Sportsman wrote:
Southern Sportsman wrote:Well, I ordered the molded plastic call from Houndstooth.
That was fast.
Lyle Gilbert is one of the best in the business.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”