Find this shed hunting today

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

First one I've ever found

Doesn't seem to be a shortage of them either
JTown21

Re: Find this shed hunting today

Post by JTown21 »

No shortage here in Illinois, too. I have more photos of them on my trail cams than my hitlist bucks. They are damn smart and difficult to call in so I finally received my trapping cert and will start running a line this year. I'm anxious to see how I'll do so if anyone has tips on footholds for yotes please let me know.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

It's weird here. You very rarely hear them but take a walk in the snow and they outnumber the deer tracks 3-1 but we don't have a high deer density either. Bears are holed up right now but we have a high population of them to. Thought it might have been a bear skull.

It's ridiculous how many yotes I've heard in Ohio. Heard 4 different packs out of my stand one evening. Must have been 15+ around me. Shot 2 with the bow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

:thumbup: dead yote is a good yote
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Cotton Quick, a needle, and some weenies.
No more tracks.
got that from a pro exterminator in Ga.
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

Was 2300+ bears killed in va. Last year set a record at over 2400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

TS I believe you're correct. Sorry I was just associating the skull with the dog tracks. I took a closer look at your pic to my bear skulls and they look to be very similar. Nice job on the yotes with a bow. How difficult is it to draw a non-resident bear tag in Ohio. I bowhunt them in Montana every May and absolutely love that hunt. I go from gobblers in April to boars in May.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

JTown21 wrote:TS I believe you're correct. Sorry I was just associating the skull with the dog tracks. I took a closer look at your pic to my bear skulls and they look to be very similar. Nice job on the yotes with a bow. How difficult is it to draw a non-resident bear tag in Ohio. I bowhunt them in Montana every May and absolutely love that hunt. I go from gobblers in April to boars in May.
Don't think Ohio has a bear season. Virginia (where I live) bear season is over the counter. They separated the bear tag from our normal tags this year and still broke a record and I know a lot of guys that didn't buy the bear tag but could have shot one. I wished I took a few more pics for reference but left it in the woods. There's some Apple trees not far from where I found it so a bowhunter possibly could have shot it (if it's a bear) and didn't find it. It was laying in an open spot in a laurel thicket so would have been hard to find if not much blood.

devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Mountain Lion
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

My guess is an immature black bear, but it is hard to say from the single photo. ....Don' think it is either a lion or a coyote from the pic,...not the right shape or tooth size/configuration for either.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

GobbleNut wrote:My guess is an immature black bear, but it is hard to say from the single photo. ....Don' think it is either a lion or a coyote from the pic,...not the right shape or tooth size/configuration for either.
After digging a little I think your right

vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Looks like a small bear skull
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

the molars definitely look like bear
El Sicario
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Would a bear that small and immature have canine teeth like that ? Compared to the size of the hand holding it I would say dog that some coyotes teamed up on and killed.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

Grumpy wrote:Would a bear that small and immature have canine teeth like that ? Compared to the size of the hand holding it I would say dog that some coyotes teamed up on and killed.
molars are wrong for dog. only animal I have seen with molars like that is a bear.
El Sicario
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

Best I can remember slayer from the teeth I've had to pull from bears for check in that is a bear.
But not a very big 1. Looks about the same size as the bear I killed with bow couple year ago 150lb dressed.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Some reason I couldn't find this post to respond to so I started another. Some moderator I am, DUH. Here mine
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12314
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
wvmntnhick

Post by wvmntnhick »

JTown21 wrote:No shortage here in Illinois, too. I have more photos of them on my trail cams than my hitlist bucks. They are damn smart and difficult to call in so I finally received my trapping cert and will start running a line this year. I'm anxious to see how I'll do so if anyone has tips on footholds for yotes please let me know.
You asked for tips. Here they are. Not sure if CR's are legal in your state but if so, get a bait station started and once you start drawing them in, set your cables on the trails leading to the bait as far back as possible. Many times guys want to start setting close. Coyotes see a few friends get caught near the bait and they'll start to shy away from it. 100 yards away isn't unreasonable. For dirt holes, get some Violator 7 and some Hiawatha valley. Both are made by Cavens. The HV is a bait. V7 is a lure. Find a place where there's lots of sign and put 2 traps in about 6 feet apart. Make sure they can't reach each other while in the catch circle. Your trap chain will dictate your anchor type. If using metal stakes, longer chain. If using earth anchors, I'd use a swivel, 2 links, swivel 2 links and then swivel on the trap. The short chain will keep them from getting a good run the the end of the circle and popping out when you approach. I've not caught a yote in a foothold at the moment but that's because we don't have as many here as other locations. I've set spots back home for my dad that have produced several but they're his catches, not mine. Glad to help later if needed.
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

Thank you for the info WV. Unfortunately, CRs are illegal here in Illinois (unless submerged for beavers). I will take your advice on the footholds with earth anchors and thank you. I'm looking forward to my first season of trapping these darn dogs here. Lot's of trial and error but I like learning that way.
wvmntnhick

Post by wvmntnhick »

If interested, I'll give you my number. There's a plethora of information to be shared. If it's something you think you'd like some length on, just pm me.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”