How many of y'all call BS...

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: How many of y'all call BS...

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Well, GKS, he shot one at "60" that blew enough feathers off his neck to fill a king sized pillow. He also claimed some were 70, 70+. Apparently he was shooting an Ithaca or Remmy 10 gauge, no mention of the load...that I heard, with his Wildside Armory choke.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx WW. I know nothing about 10s but, based on what you have said, I find it unlikely. The 3 I shot at 60 didn't lose many, if any, neck feathers & there weren't that many pellets in the head/neck.

I do wonder where a lot of birds are hit when the feathers fly on some of the TV shows. Looks like someone ripped open a pillow & slung it around. Seems like the hits were pretty low to blow that many feathers off. I have killed a lot of birds & have never had 1 "exploded" like so many on TV, not even the ones up real close & personal.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

After looking on their FB page, it appears they are shooting the nitro 4x5x7s and a .680 choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

A guy on FB posted this a bit ago. Looks like you guys can check them out at the NWTF Convention.

Okay guys...

I spoke with Mr Darrin at Wildside Armory this morning. We talked for about an hour... He said the chokes will debut at the 2016 NWTF Convention... Mr Darrin said he is an Iraq veteran and worked for Rhino Chokes for many years. He had choke designs and improvements that Rhino was not interested in persuing. So he began his own business.

If I understand him right, his philosophy is much like JEBS chokes. Stack the shot and shorten the shot string. He said his design is engineered to use more of the kinetic energy of the shot to produce better patterns at longer distances (if needed) and produce a harder hitting pattern at greater distances. He has had the University of Florida involved in using high speed video technology to prove the much shorter shot strings with their chokes. And they have their choke technology pattened.

He said Mr Doug Borries did use a 10 ga on some of those hunts and a 12 ga on others in the video. And Mr Borries did extensive, personal tests using the choke. Mr Darrin said he does provide a service to make and match a choke to your gun if desired, but he, like many other choke companies have spent much time testing their chokes with a myriad of guns and shot combinations to make suggestions for your gun without sending your gun to them and pay for that matching service.

I read some other reviews and plan on interviewing some customers if possible and get feedback from their experiences. I will probably order a choke and test it myself. Since I'm not an expert I can only judge by what I can see when I personally get my hands on one to test... So we will see what happens... At this point guys, that's all I know... (hope all this made sense) :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
mrclif

Post by mrclif »

I called Darrin a week before convention and told him I wanted to run some tss thru his chokes and I wanted to try a 680 and 690 out of my crio plus. He had em ready for me and give me a 660 to try also.
Warmer weather next weekend so I'm gonna test drive em see how they do.
Lastyears testing I ran several chokes from. 643-670 of several manufacturers and they more open I got the better my pattern got. So far factory full as been best shooting Hals 3" 2oz 12ga load thus the reason I wanted to try a 690 and 680. The test weapon is an 18" benelli vinci 3" chamber.
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

Waddle Whacker wrote:I just wanna know what he was doing to kee-kee. Looked like he had a striker in his hands...was he just running a mouth call??? But yeah...complete BS.

Kee-Whistle

Return to “Gobbler Talk”