Camo

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Camo

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I know it's all about sitting still, but. Back when I was in high school I used to wear predator pretty much.

This fall guiding I would wager that 50% of our clients wore Sitka gear which is more or less an open digital pattern. For Christmas sal got me some under armour ridge reaper which reminds me of predator and I will most likely wear with a pair of wrangler Riggs forest green pants. Personally I think the pattern is unbeatable for spring.

In some ways I think it is the manufacturers flipping off realtree and mossyoak and saving millions in licencing. However price's do not reflect this but am sure profits do.

So what does everyone think of the move to More open digital type camo?
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Camo

Post by killerstump »

I have used predator and asat last handful f years and had birds as close as 3 steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Camo

Post by Waddle Whacker »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: In some ways I think it is the manufacturers flipping off realtree and mossyoak and saving millions in licencing.
I think there's some truth to this.
This does seem to be what camo is evolving into. I don't love how the stuff looks hanging on the rack, but when you put it in the woods, I think it blends in great....at least to my eyes. When I buy new camo, I buy mossy oak, but I've seriously been considering some green predator camo for the last few years for bow season....it just looks so good in the woods.
So you roll with green Wranglers and no camo pants for turkeys???
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Waddle Whacker wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:
So you roll with green Wranglers and no camo pants for turkeys???
For years I hunted in a pair of american eagle cargo pants that were khaki. I blew the crotch and and butt out of them and decided to retire them and went to ol tom.. Image

Then I guided in Kansas, I was literally ripping 50 and 60 dollar camo pants on a daily basis as I was crossing 10-20 barbwire fences a day.. One of the other guides had the Wrangler Riggs Wear Green Cargos.. Low and behold our local grain company had them for 29 bucks and I picked up a couple pairs. Guiding deer and still rolling through fences they did not tear, but instead when snagged would leave a tiny hole.. They are extremely comfortable, I hardly wear anything else any more, they are tough as nails..
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Camo

Post by killerstump »

That's why I use pred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I hear this camo pattern works very well !

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I like the looks of it and it works, but I don't think it makes much difference if trying to hide from critters. If your trying to hide from human eyes I think it would be harder to detect than Real Tree or MO. But right now I'm looking for some that looks like flooded timber. Maybe I'll design some and call it Real River or something.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I went to First Lite Asat camo it's very pricey but well worth it. The Asat camo has been around since the 80's. The guys son Red Barnhart was my high school football trainer he gave me a hat of it. I decided to try the camo again and I believe sitting still is the key but this fall I had deer and turkeys closer then I ever had in the past. Ron Meek said to me it looks like antlers but in the woods I couldn't find you it blended well
I thought you would be BIGGER
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

People wear camo when they hunt?? I thought it was just to wear out to social functions. Maybe thats why I never catch any turkeys. :violent1:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Gobbler wrote:Maybe thats why I never catch any turkeys. :violent1:
I don't think that has anything to do with it.
Double Naught Spy!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Most of it is just being still.
Camo is cool and let's other people know your hunting. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
sugarray

Post by sugarray »

I have been looking at this as well and really liked the green pattern for spring. Only thing I ever found was a hoodie. For the price though, would be nice if it was the newest UA technology with Cold Gear Infrared and Storm. I only saw the green at Cabela's.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Still like original tigerstripe. Going to get a set of cadpat for later season green up.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I like mossy oak green leaf but I have a assortment of camo. I've been known to mix match while hunting though :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

I mix match most of it too....don't really have a favorite, but I do like the lighter more open pattern of the realtree APG.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I've heard rumors that out here in the west, rock selection is much more important than camo,...and as long as you keep that fan up, you can wear a neon sign flashing "I am about to smoke your feathered ass" and it will make no difference. ...Oh, and if you have a gobbler-head hand puppet, you can just grab 'em and save yourself the trouble of looking for good rocks. :toothy7:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Hi Gobblenut. Welcome to Gobbler Nation. :LMAO:
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

a few years ago I decided to challenge myself by trying to kill a longbeard in bluejeans and a bright orange t-shirt. took a whole hour on the first hunt and a bird was hanging over my shoulder. set-up was key in this particular hunt.
El Sicario
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

I wear camo and sometimes I don't. Usually have some camo on and my vest is camo. I'd rather not wear the same pattern top and bottom, I think different patterns and non-camo worn on part of me helps eliminate ate the blob affect and hide the human form. I also wear brown, gray, and green clothes.

I not only want to hide from the turkey's eyes but their ears too. I don't hear much about this when guys talk camo, but I like my clothes to be quiet. Wool, knit, and fleece don't make a lot of "swish" when rubbed against brush or itself and I think fabric type is more important than pattern.

Some guys believe a turkey can hear the faintest cluck or purr at 80 yards. And maybe they can, especially once tuned into the calling. But those same guys make a ton of unnatural sounds when setting up, swishing the clothes and clicking loose gear.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Gobbler wrote:Hi Gobblenut. Welcome to Gobbler Nation. :LMAO:
Hey thanks, Gobbler. How's the gang of hooligans been? Seems I lost track of time,...and a few other things,...this summer and fall (I miss my mind the most, though). Good to be back in the circus.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

They let you out again, or did you escape? Either way, I hope you took your medication with you.
Double Naught Spy!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”