Snow in Montana

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
hobbes

Snow in Montana

Post by hobbes »

Since most of you have forgotten what it means to have temperatures below 70 degrees, I thought I'd remind you.

We've not had a ton of snow in Helena, in fact it's been rather mild with a couple brutal cold spells thrown in. We've have had a couple small snowfalls and one decent one. We've also had freezing fog multiple times that really coats the trees heavily with frost.

All photos are with my phone, so not the highest quality.

Freezing fog:

The decent snowfall from a couple weeks ago really piled up in the trees outside my cubicle window:

Then earlier this week I drove to Kalispell and found that the Seely/Swan to Kalispell had been hit with a good snow. Grumpy should be familiar with Kalispell's snowfall of roughly 8". Seely Lake to Swan Lake had roughly 12" with the deepest being around the Swan. I'd guess the Swan was deeper.
Photos taken from the car:

Aproaching Seeley Lake from the south
Stopped to get coffee and fuel
I recommend an Americano with a small amount of half and half at Jitterbug Java in Seeley.

On my way back in the evening. I should have stayed in Kalispell because I got into almost white out conditions in the dark between Seeley and Ovando on the way home.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Snow in Montana

Post by Hoobilly »

Thanks for posting! We have had fog ice our trees this year. But nothing as beautiful as that.

I drink a almond milk latte. With hazlenut and vanilla for flavor.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Many thanks for reminding me why I moved from Michigan :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Hobbes, I will be heading to Kalispell on the 30th. to visit my daughter for a couple of days. I hope the pass is decent but will be taking the 4 wheel drive anyway. Hobbes, I am over near Havre so I really don't pay attention to the weather in Kalispell unless I'm going to go that way. I like their winters they don't get the brutal cold we do over here in the wheat fields. 1 above zero here this morning and only about 4 in. of snow this season so far.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I'm not sure why, but I had in my mind that you lived near Kalispell.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Those are some mighty pretty pics, and I complained all Christmas day, cause we had flooding rains all dadgum day.
But, I wouldn't trade it for one minute for all that pretty white stuff!! :toothy7:

BTW, is that an Eagle in that next to last pic???
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

No it's a raven, but I did see two Goldens and two Bald Eagles on the trip. One Golden was feeding on a roadkilled deer with a pile of magpies then one golden and two Bald eagles were on a second roadkilled deer in another location.

On my way back I spotted the second Golden Eagle land on the snow pile on side of road. I was going slow due to the roads but the photos with my phone just showed a dark blur. He decided to fly almost in front of me when I got close but at the last minute turned. I was afraid I was going to hit him even though I was going slow. I think his left wing was within a couple feet of my right mirror as I went by. Scared me some but awesome to have him that close
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Pretty pics but y'all can keep it. I'm ready for spring. Feels like spring here now but I'm ready for April rather :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING