How many hot pepper fans are on here?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

I know Spuriosity is, just wondering if we had any others.

Here are a few of my late peppers I picked yesterday. The big red ones on the Left were supposed to be Carolina Reapers (hottest pepper in the world), but turned out to be Moruga Scorpions (2nd hottest). I'll tell you first hand, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the two when they get that hot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: How many hot pepper fans are on here?

Post by GLS »

The ones on the left look like Red Habaneros developed by Clemson with a Scovill rating of 300,000. Ghost Peppers are the reputed hottest at 1 million Scovill. I have no use for them. Hot is one thing but one side effect of the Ghost is diarrhea. Great. Flames at both ends. I grow habaneros and make Jelly and hot sauce. I have a gallon of mash that was fermented and has aged in a glass container at 34 degrees F for two years. I'll bottle them in January. Last batch I aged for over a year and it was a good batch. I bottle with 1/3 volume of white vinegar to the mash which I run through a hand-cranked food mill and a thickening agent which holds the color in suspension (Xanthan gum).
DC1.

Post by DC1. »

Man dig a hole and bury them things deep!!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: No sense in anything being as hot as those peppers are!
DC1.

Post by DC1. »

GLS wrote:The ones on the left look like Red Habaneros developed by Clemson with a Scovill rating of 300,000. Ghost Peppers are the reputed hottest at 1 million Scovill. I have no use for them. Hot is one thing but one side effect of the Ghost is diarrhea. Great. Flames at both ends. I grow habaneros and make Jelly and hot sauce. I have a gallon of mash that was fermented and has aged in a glass container at 34 degrees F for two years. I'll bottle them in January. Last batch I aged for over a year and it was a good batch. I bottle with 1/3 volume of white vinegar to the mash which I run through a hand-cranked food mill and a thickening agent which holds the color in suspension (Xanthan gum).
Carolina Reaper is the hottest at 2,200,000 SHU.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

DC1. wrote:
GLS wrote:The ones on the left look like Red Habaneros developed by Clemson with a Scovill rating of 300,000. Ghost Peppers are the reputed hottest at 1 million Scovill. I have no use for them. Hot is one thing but one side effect of the Ghost is diarrhea. Great. Flames at both ends. I grow habaneros and make Jelly and hot sauce. I have a gallon of mash that was fermented and has aged in a glass container at 34 degrees F for two years. I'll bottle them in January. Last batch I aged for over a year and it was a good batch. I bottle with 1/3 volume of white vinegar to the mash which I run through a hand-cranked food mill and a thickening agent which holds the color in suspension (Xanthan gum).
Carolina Reaper is the hottest at 2,200,000 SHU.
True, the Carolina Reapers peak at 2.2 Million and are the Guiness Book of World Records Hottest Pepper in the world. These Moruga Scorpions peak at a bit over 2 Million.

GLS, the Ghost Pepper is now the 7th hottest pepper in the world.

Some of those do look similar to the Red Savina Habs (577,000 SHUs), but that's just a different phenotype showing itself.

Here is a better view of what they look like.

Last edited by slickyboyboo on November 23rd, 2015, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

U can have them,
I don't want them,
they're too hot for me,
there too hot,
there too hot,
there too hot for me!!! :puke: :violent3:

It was bad enough in Mexico, when the cook slipped in hobanaros in place of jalipinoes, how ever they're spelled :scratch:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I like some hot and spicy but no suicidal enough to even try those other mouth grenades.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

You and Wes need to be in a psycho ward! Anyone that carries around a bottle of pepper sauce to put on everything,.. has got to have problems. :lol: :lol:
I better shut up though,.... your BBQ is second to none, and Wes's backstrap steaks are,.... :o :shock: !!! :cheers:
My Serrano's are more than plenty hot for my taste. Lily likes the hot stuff though,... That's why she married me!!! :LMAO: :LMAO:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Here's a batch that is aging in the 'fridge. I have a stoneware fermentation vat designed with an airlock that lets out CO2 and keeps out everything else. The vat was made in Europe for making sauerkraut. I pulverize the habaneros in a blender, a measured amount of Kosher salt, and enough water to cover. It takes about 6 weeks to finish fermentation. No cooking is involved and the mash keeps the red color. Once it ages over a year, it improves the taste while keeping the "heat". I run it through a food mill to remove seeds and excess pulp. This batch started with 5 lbs. of homegrown Clemson Reds. Vinegar is added as a preservative when I bottle in 7 oz. bottles available on ebay.

DC1.

Post by DC1. »

GLS what do you do with the mash or liquid napalm? We had two guys at work eat half a reaper each, seeds and all. one lost his hearing for about five minutes and the other puked for at least thirty!!! Thought we were going to have call 911 for him.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Toooooooo hot fer me. Hell the salsa that comes with chips at a Mexican Restraunt toooo hot fer me sometimes. :lol:
Have at it all ya want :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Shooter wrote:You and Wes need to be in a psycho ward! Anyone that carries around a bottle of pepper sauce to put on everything,.. has got to have problems. :lol: :lol:
I better shut up though,.... your BBQ is second to none, and Wes's backstrap steaks are,.... :o :shock: !!! :cheers:
My Serrano's are more than plenty hot for my taste. Lily likes the hot stuff though,... That's why she married me!!! :LMAO: :LMAO:

Ha Ha Ha, I love me some Serranos as well, they are my go to, to put a mild spice in most anything. I got some seeds for Purple Serranos, that I'm going to grow this next spring. Should make for some interesting Salsa!

The Morugas, I don't eat much of, I mostly dry and grind them, and use sparingly for a bit of extra spice when cooking. A couple of buddies and I did sit down and eat a Moruga the other day, and we polished off a gal of milk, and a half gallon of ice cream to go along with it. LOL

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

:cherry: just out of curiosity what do they taste like before the inceneration sets in?
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Slicky, what are your plans for these little bundles of napalm joy? I like hot, but that's crazy.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

I have several vines of jalapeño and cayenne peppers hanging up drying. Make for good pots of pinto beans

slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Turkinator wrote::cherry: just out of curiosity what do they taste like before the inceneration sets in?
They have an awesome fruity floral flavor, that is great.

Waddle Whacker wrote:Slicky, what are your plans for these little bundles of napalm joy? I like hot, but that's crazy.
Just got done grinding all the ones I have dried. I had to wear a mask to keep from inhaling the excess fine powder the comes out of grinder in processing.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

feller brought some salsa thats made by a mexican women here in Indiana

its a tad hot... burns the thought just a little.. lips tingle etc

best salsa I have ever tried.. ever. I ordered some to take home.

looks like its been blackened and smoked with garlic and something else. I could not stop eating it. I even used my finger to get the remnants from the container.

When I get my order.. I will post up pictures.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I love 'em, but I can't do anything hotter than Trinidads. Eating the stuff is one thing...it's the next day when I want to sit on a snow cone that I can do without.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:I love 'em, but I can't do anything hotter than Trinidads. Eating the stuff is one thing...it's the next day when I want to sit on a snow cone that I can do without.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

slickyboyboo wrote:
Stinky J Picklestein wrote:I love 'em, but I can't do anything hotter than Trinidads. Eating the stuff is one thing...it's the next day when I want to sit on a snow cone that I can do without.

now thats some funny stuff ryetthar!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

You develop callouses back there after awhile, and they really don't bother you the second time around.

I am quite fond of habaneros, and grow them every year. They have wonderful flavor as well as plenty of heat. I make a couple of hot sauces with them (and yes Tommy, I do carry a bottle most all the time). One is very simple - just peppers, vinegar, and salt. The other is a Caribbean recipe called Inner Beauty, that is mustard based with a bit of mango and lots of other spices added. It's really good on hot dogs and hamburgers.

I have tried the scorpions and Carolina Reapers. They are insanely hot and only useful for cooking in my opinion. I don't care for them sliced up and eaten along with food like I do the habs. And I absolutely detest all the gimmicky hot sauces out there like Dave's Insanity that use artificial capsicum resin for added heat. They are all heat and no flavor. Nothing like the real deal.

Eating hot peppers is addictive. When you eat them your body releases endorphins, your natural pain killers. These chemicals are also released during exercise and sex, and produce "runner's high". Once hooked, it's hard to get enough. Pass the bottle.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Spuriosity wrote:...
Eating hot peppers is addictive. When you eat them your body releases endorphins, your natural pain killers. These chemicals are also released during exercise and sex, and produce "runner's high". Once hooked, it's hard to get enough. Pass the bottle.
I've done all three...in a row...in that order...and I still ended up begging for that frozen toilet paper.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Related story: A buddy of mine took some Trinidads to a local bar one time to see if anybody was drunk enough to try 'em. He had the peppers sliced up into little pieces, so of course there was "that one dude" who just "LOVED hot peppers" and said nothing bothers him immediately volunteering. He used his bare hands and popped it into the his mouth. He made it about 30 seconds before downing his beer...and THEN his buddy's beer. The bartender gave him a glass of milk, and he started to settle down. A few minutes later, he went to take a leak...and FORGOT ABOUT HANDLING THE PEPPER earlier! He comes out of the bathroom and asks the bartender for a bowl of milk, and takes it back to bathroom to "dunk the junk". The line of the night came from the bartender..."We don't want the bowl back." :lol:
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Spuriosity wrote:
You develop callouses back there after awhile, and they really don't bother you the second time around.

I am quite fond of habaneros, and grow them every year. They have wonderful flavor as well as plenty of heat. I make a couple of hot sauces with them (and yes Tommy, I do carry a bottle most all the time). One is very simple - just peppers, vinegar, and salt. The other is a Caribbean recipe called Inner Beauty, that is mustard based with a bit of mango and lots of other spices added. It's really good on hot dogs and hamburgers.

I have tried the scorpions and Carolina Reapers. They are insanely hot and only useful for cooking in my opinion. I don't care for them sliced up and eaten along with food like I do the habs. And I absolutely detest all the gimmicky hot sauces out there like Dave's Insanity that use artificial capsicum resin for added heat. They are all heat and no flavor. Nothing like the real deal.

Wes, I already have some Red Savina Hab and Chocolate Hab seeds in hand to grow for next year, along with about a dozen other types. I can't wait until spring, to get them going.

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Barry, I was just notified by the Boss. She told me to tell you to bring a few of those seeds when you come. I guess she wants to try some of those bad boys!!! :banghead:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”