South Carolina Flooding

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
allaboutshooting

South Carolina Flooding

Post by allaboutshooting »

All of South Carolina was hit very hard with flooding and high winds.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: South Carolina Flooding

Post by Grumpy »

News shows a hell of a mess there, sure wouldn't want that for anybody.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Praying for you and yours Clark.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

all of you down there are in my thoughts and prayers,,,,I emailed the crowd I hunt with (down Marion way) to see if anyone needs help,,,,they were out of the worst of it but still hit hard,,,,the Pee Dee is HIGH,,,,,,
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

South Carolina Flooding

Post by davisd9 »

My hometown received over 15" of rain. My parents, siblings, and In Laws cannot go anywhere because of road failures and flooding, but none have water in their homes, all are with power, all have food and water, and none of their cars are destroyed. We are very fortunate. God had his hand upon our families. Many more were no where near as fortunate and many lost everything.

I am proud of my state in the fact we are pulling together rather than looting, rioting, etc. Same happened after the other tragic events in recent times. We are SC Strong!

Sent from the Strut Zone
coytclr

Post by coytclr »

Be safe down their. Prayers to everyone in SC.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I got pics from a friend that lives in the low country this afternoon, and it was bad! He sent a pic of a bridge on I-26, and the water was dang near to the road! he also sent some yesterday vs today pics, and there's several houses yesterday that the water was barely touching and today all you could see was the roof of the same house. And pics from a drone that was flying over Lake Murray at the beginning of the emergency release. I hate to use the word awesome in a situation like this, but these were some good pics showing the pure power of flood waters. He and his family are safe so far but his Dad and Brothers areas are feeling it. Any of yall from South Carolina stay safe.
Pass the biscuits!!
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

South Carolina Flooding

Post by davisd9 »

Sent from the Strut Zone
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

South Carolina Flooding

Post by davisd9 »

The second to last picture is one of the roads to my parents' house that has been washed out.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

We lucked out here, right where we're located and only actually got 2 1/4 " for Sat & Sun!!! Of course, we had 7" to Thursday, for the past week before that and another 1 1/2 " Fri night!! Very little washed here and will replant a bit of newly seeded grass maybe thursday??
Still 10 3/4 " over 10 days isn't like the 14 1/2 " + Columbia got :banghead: .. but wife went into her office this morning, as she had a meeting to conduct tomorrow. Her office was closed yesterday and today, but the road is back open for her to make it in!!
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Woodcock

Post by Woodcock »

soiltester wrote:We lucked out here, right where we're located and only actually got 2 1/4 " for Sat & Sun!!! Of course, we had 7" to Thursday, for the past week before that and another 1 1/2 " Fri night!! Very little washed here and will replant a bit of newly seeded grass maybe thursday??
Still 10 3/4 " over 10 days isn't like the 14 1/2 " + Columbia got :banghead: .. but wife went into her office this morning, as she had a meeting to conduct tomorrow. Her office was closed yesterday and today, but the road is back open for her to make it in!!

Soil, Glad you and yours are good!
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Stay safe. At least the backwaters will get some water in time for duck hunting.
allaboutshooting

Those pictures really tell the story. So much water. There is still a lot to come from rivers flowing down from the mountains. I understand several dams are still being watched very closely. Some are in danger of failing from what I hear. So much damage to the infrastructure that it will take a very long time to repair it all.

Folks are getting on with life as best they can. Helping their neighbors and doing what needs to be done. This is a terrible disaster but it has allowed the country to see the true strength of character of South Carolina people. It's only in times of stress that true strength of character is shown.

We see this kind of strength in Americans all over the country in times of disaster. We also see the other side all too frequently. We are a country that was built on self-sufficiency, helping ourselves, helping our neighbors and getting on with life despite the setbacks that we can encounter.

At times it seems we've lost our way. Maybe the good that comes out of something like this is for others to see a real life demonstration of strength in bad times.

Fortunately, the rain has stopped and today the sun is out and it looks/feels like a beautiful fall day in the Upstate.

Thanks,
Clark
Last edited by allaboutshooting on October 7th, 2015, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

pedro wrote:Stay safe. At least the backwaters will get some water in time for duck hunting.
Best duck huntin' we ever had in Michigan's crop fields, was the flood of "86" .. but then again, it was flat country and took a long, long time to get drained & lots of crop loss!!! :o
HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

Sorry Fellas, I haven't been on here in a while. My house and office is near Mt Pleasant/Daniel Island that received the highest amount of rainfall in the state 26", but fortunately we dodged a bullet. The tidal marsh rose about 6" below my house (thank goodness). It was enough to move everything from my basement upstairs, but outside of dead grass, I was super luck. My sister's house is about a mile away from the rising flooding on the Edisto in Givhans. My mother lives in Summerville and fortunately her side of town is on high ground too. One of my turkey properties I have hunted is on the Black River in Andrews and apparently is under about 15 feet of water. I have several friends whose families have lost a lot.

A lot of families down here are going through some tough times.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

HartClemson99 wrote:Sorry Fellas, I haven't been on here in a while. My house and office is near Mt Pleasant/Daniel Island that received the highest amount of rainfall in the state 26", but fortunately we dodged a bullet. The tidal marsh rose about 6" below my house (thank goodness). It was enough to move everything from my basement upstairs, but outside of dead grass, I was super luck. My sister's house is about a mile away from the rising flooding on the Edisto in Givhans. My mother lives in Summerville and fortunately her side of town is on high ground too. One of my turkey properties I have hunted is on the Black River in Andrews and apparently is under about 15 feet of water. I have several friends whose families have lost a lot.

A lot of families down here are going through some tough times.
Prayers are with and for you folks !!

I picked up 3 cases of water & 2 gallon jugs and sent it to Columbia with my wife Wed. for her office staff & other staff in the building!! Will get an update when she returns tonight .. a lot of roads & bridges out in that area!!
Last edited by soiltester on October 9th, 2015, 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Prayers to all that are effected!!Maybe our president will help out here,instead of over there!!
allaboutshooting

There are still pretty tough times ahead, especially in the low country. Water is still flowing down stream and it's rising in places. Georgetown has been hit very hard.

Please keep all the folks in South Carolina in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks,
Clark
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

OUCH Again "BIG TIME",
Hunker down lower S.C. country, cause we b' sending some more serious water yer' way!!
Thought we lucked out again and only had .3" from last night & this a.m. .. then the light rain forcast, opened up the sky and we've had 1 1/2 " since 1 p.m., and still commin' down!!! Not suppose to let up till 10 p.m. :banghead:
More volume of water flowin the last 2 hrs., than we had with the hurricane, now with the soils saturated to the limit :roll:
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Prayers sent.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

South Carolina Flooding

Post by davisd9 »

My parents got 3 more inches yesterday in Sumter. Couple places flooded again. Poor people down in Georgetown and other areas are still flooding from water running down the rivers.

Sent from the Strut Zone

Return to “Gobbler Talk”