not sure I could handle it othewise

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

At the end of each spring season, it's always depressing. Waiting till next March or April - well that is a long time. Perhaps too long for my psyche to handle.

So, I'm glad I am not going to have to wait that long. October is long enough, but if I knew I had to put up the turkey calls and camo till next spring, I'd be in sad shape sure enough.

I'm looking forward to October.
K9Doc

Re: not sure I could handle it othewise

Post by K9Doc »

I am always deer hunting during October.
I can't recall ever killing a Giant Buck, so
Perhaps I too should start Fall Turkey Hunting!!!!
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Wingshooting finishes in a not so distant second place to turkey hunting with me. So, the ducks and a few doves keep me company until March rolls back around. They seem to be adequate in helping to maintain my sanity. The deer help a bit too.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Could not agree more. Glad that the hunting begins in September. As I was hunting on Monday, I was already thinking about the fall and hope of getting into some good fall turkey action.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

The training of and running of young beagles will fill the time along with a fish or two.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Doves, quail, snipe, woodcock and my two Brittanys keep me busy from September through February. Gil
Curtis Loew

Post by Curtis Loew »

I fish and deer hunt, I enjoys squirrel season till deer opens. Deer season is nice to put a couple in the freezer and have many campfires and cookouts at the camp.

But late deer season, turns into turkey scouting trips..

I am already Jonesing for a fix on turkeys.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

We'll I'm still somewhat depressed, but it gets a little better every day... :cry: We don't have a fall season here, but the last few years I've thought about going somewhere to hunt fall birds. Like most southerners my mentality is geared towards only hunting them in the spring.....but, I know several guys from states with fall seasons that look just as forward to the fall as the spring...so, I'm sure it's something I really would enjoy.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Summer fishing and travelling with my kettle corn business then fall bird hunting and antelope if lucky enough to draw a permit then coyote trapping for 3-3 1/2 months everyday, plenty for me to stay busy.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

October for me as well hal, I love me some fall turkeys
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Goldhunter & myself have been Hammering the trout ! :thumbup:
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Hal it's a sin to burn a tag in the fall :lol:. I like calling them in while deer hunting but I never shoot one. Called in a few gobblers that thought warm November days were April. April-October I'm up to my elbows in work. I take most of November off to chase deer. December I deer hunt occasionally but usually busy with work. January-March I'm turkey scouting and shed hunting. Going to add some southern states next spring to get a few weeks jump on Tennessee
turk835

Post by turk835 »

Fall birds are fun too, here in Pa. we have a special tag for fall so it doesn't have any bearing on the spring season.

Bill
Mikejd

Post by Mikejd »

Spring turkey is no question my favorite but there are plenty of great seasons before next spring. I prefer not to rush it.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Well we have fall shutdown season in full planning mode so 50 to 70 hours a week at work keeps me busy til the middle of November. I squirrel hunt and deer hunt during the winter when not planning spring shutdowns.

I am ready for March 15th already!!!
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

I'm usually so busy chasing deer and trying to find deer for the girls that I hardly fall hunt turkeys at all. It's kind of strange that I love to spring hunt so much but can't get excited about them in the fall. I almost feel like I'm stealing from myself if I kill a gobbler in the fall. I may have to rethink my ways and give it a fair chance this fall.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

Nothing to get excited about..Shoot some squirrels..Other wise I hope we get back on 7 days a week at work,helps pass the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Would like to put an arrow in a big buck this fall shoot some doves and squirrels and try to work up a good deer load for my 460s&w encore. And wait for spring. Might try a fall gobbler this year
HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

My life sure does morph between June and March and time spent in the woods is less and less. I quit hunting turkeys Saturday and life has gone back to the 100mph rat race. With work I have already been in 7 states in a week.

I'm looking forward to March of 2016 already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Hal, you're bound to have a load or two stewing in that brain of yours to help keep you busy. I usually tinker with loads and chokes that I don't need to help pass the time.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Spuriosity wrote:Hal, you're bound to have a load or two stewing in that brain of yours to help keep you busy. I usually tinker with loads and chokes that I don't need to help pass the time.
I do the same....Actually traded away my 12 gauge M2 for a 20 gauge M2. So I have went Browning Gold 12, 20ga M2, SX3 20 gauge, Browning Gold 12 again, M2 12 Ga, and back to M2 20ga. A lot of trading, choke trying, fiddling, helps ease the pain until August and September when fishing gets good and bow season starts.
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

It's been a tough, frustrating and non-productive season for us. I'm looking forward to the break.

On that note, my battery powered, portable Margaritaville frozen concoction maker should be here soon, and I'll be enjoying some tropical drinks while relaxing on my boat on the river throughout the summer. Our summers aren't long enough for me.

My interests just generally get cycled through every year... boating, archery, rifle, flintlock... then a short break before a little trout fishing, then spring gobbler again. Lather rinse repeat!
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

My wait for April 2016 will not be a boring one. The summer is the worst part of the wait, but I'll fill it with working on our house, our garden, a few elk scouting trips, and the occasional fishing trip. In addition, we'll have company staying with us 2 or 3 times that will want to do some sight seeing this summer. That will finish up just in time for elk with a little deer and possibly antelope mixed in. A bear tag is usually in my pocket as well but that is just a bonus tag if one presents itself while hunting elk. I'll likely still be trying to get some of the family, if not myself, onto an elk through October and November but will start upland hunting in there also. Upland will carry me into January. By then I'm usually ready for a break but start planning turkey hunts soon after. Honestly, there is no rest for an outdoorsman in Montana.
Last edited by hobbes on May 29th, 2015, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

hobbes wrote:My wait for April 2016 will not be a boring one. The summer is the worst part of the wait, but I'll fill it with working on our house, our garden, a few elk scouting trips, and the occasional fishing trip. In addition, we'll have company staying with us 2 or 3 times that will want to do some sight seeing this summer. That will finish up just in time for elk with a little deer and possibly antelope mixed in. A bear tag is usually in my pocket as well but that is just a bonus tag if one presents itself while hunting elk. I'll likely still be trying to get some more of the family onto an elk through October and November but will start upland hunting in there also. Upland will carry me into January. By then I'm usually ready for a break but start planning turkey hunts soon after. Honestly, there is no rest for an outdoorsman in Montana.
The wife and I love Montana and Wyoming. If we ever leave South Alabama that is where we will go.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”