Used To Be!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re:

Post by guesswho »

BrowningGuy88 wrote:So what kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting in the Tundra? I am going to buy a new truck next year and am interested in the Double Cab SR5 4x4 with 5.7 liter.
On my trip to KY and back I averaged a shade over 16. I tell you, that 5.7 I-FORCE is impressive.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Used To Be!

Post by GLS »

In May of 2003, I took delivery of a 2003 SR5 4x4 Sequoia which has the Tundra underbody and drivetrain. It has 171,000 miles on it. It's a 15 MPG highway vehicle with the 4.7L V-8.
My previous turkey hearse was a 1977 T100 4x4. My son drove it through college and I took it back when he went to med school. It had 177K on it when it went to the Subaru dealer in the cash for clunkers program in August 2009. The dealer knocked off $4500 for the Outback which my daughter still drives. When it was scrapped, I received $200 salvage for it. I explored the economics of driving the Sequoia versus selling it and driving a Subaru Forester with AWD for turkeys. Kelly Bluebook had a trade-in calculator which inputted the present cost for gasoline and the value of the trade-in, it's MPG and the value of the new car's cost and MPG. At $3.50 a gallon, the Forester would pay for itself in 15 years. Well, that disabused me of the need for a new car. The current plan for the Sequoia is to drive it until it needs a new powertrain, and then buy a crated engine. I just replaced tires--got close to 50K on the last set. This season I bought a Warn Zeon 8000S portable winch which fits on the 2" rear hitch. I will intall a front receiver this summer. I have a friend who drives a 1997 Landcruiser, fulltime 4x4 with the inline 6. He has 325,000 miles on it and counting. Oh, what a feeling...:) Gil
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Very sweet ride!
coytclr

Post by coytclr »

Very nice truck. My Son bought one a few months back.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Re:

Post by guesswho »

OLE RASPY wrote:I have the 4.7
So even after taking the running boards and mud flaps off you still wound up with a Grandpa model :lol: Just kidding, I drove one with the 4.7 and it was pretty stout!
Double Naught Spy!
turkey_slayer

Used To Be!

Post by turkey_slayer »

From what I've been told by people that have them is 16-17 hwy. The older ones were 12-13. I only get 19 from my Tacoma so I figured a lot more room and more power is worth the trade off for a few mpg
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Used To Be!

Post by killerstump »

Reckons my next will Just be another 2500 or 3500 Chevy
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Gas mileage statements are like spur measurements. ;)
turkey_slayer

Used To Be!

Post by turkey_slayer »

GLS wrote:Gas mileage statements are like spur measurements. ;)
Can't argue with that ;)
Jbird22

Re:

Post by Jbird22 »

BrowningGuy88 wrote:So what kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting in the Tundra? I am going to buy a new truck next year and am interested in the Double Cab SR5 4x4 with 5.7 liter.
I have one like you're describing and it averages around 14.5/city and 16/Hwy. It is strrrooooonnng though!
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
BrowningGuy88

Used To Be!

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Jbird22 wrote:
I have one like you're describing and it averages around 14.5/city and 16/Hwy. It is strrrooooonnng though!
Thanks!
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Nice ride!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Re:

Post by OLE RASPY »

guesswho wrote:
OLE RASPY wrote:I have the 4.7
So even after taking the running boards and mud flaps off you still wound up with a Grandpa model :lol: Just kidding, I drove one with the 4.7 and it was pretty stout!
I was wondering when you was gonna say that :LMAO:
Reason I took running boards off is 2 of the brackets came loose and I just went ahead and tookem both off and mud flaps. I never payed no attention to it till my wife said that the runnin boards and mud flaps were grandpalish. Lol. Me personally I think it looks better but to each there own. I love mine. mine is about payed for now. I would love to get a 2016 but prolly won't happen. I have had a few problems with mine though. Hopefully they have worked the kinks out. Mine is a '08.
1. Both air pumps for fuel injection went out.(it was covered under warranty)
2. All the actuators for the door locks went out. ( it was covered under warranty) but they are tore up again. Only locks when it wants to now.
3. Air conditioner went out the other day. The whole system. Bearing failure. Filled cab up with smoke . It's fixed now. Wasn't covered as my warranty is gone. When they fixed that they said I had a bearing going out in the rear end. Mechanic could hear it. Evidently he's got good ears. I haven't heard nothing. I have put 6,000 miles on it since then.
I hope you never have problems out of yours. You got a nice sharp lookin truck Ronnie.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

Wonder if the turkeys will mind bleeding all over the white paint. Seriously it is a good truck and you should enjoy the ride!!!!!!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

mossy835 wrote:Wonder if the turkeys will mind bleeding all over the white paint. Seriously it is a good truck and you should enjoy the ride!!!!!!!
They don't mind. I had it for about 18 hours before the first turkey bled on it. The new had wore off by then so it didn't bother me.
Double Naught Spy!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

My son in law has one, but we have to bring a step stool for my wife to get into it. I had to hold onto the door getting out of it, or the fall was going to break an ankle. What a beast.
ImageImageImage
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Good lookin ride. I love mine! There is some serious room in that back seat, unfortunately I didn't have a Tundra in highschool.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Diamond K

Post by Diamond K »

Nice ride Ronnie,
Worst thing about a Toyota it is that they just don't wear out. I finally gave mine away just to get rid of it. Now all it needs is some decals.
Diplomacy is the art of making a point without making an enemy.
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

Nice rig! I am a Toyota fan myself, I have one right now with 330,000 miles on it.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

SCtrkyhntr wrote:Nice rig! I am a Toyota fan myself, I have one right now with 330,000 miles on it.
model and year? turkeybuster has an '87. He dropped in a like-new 22R after about 250K and put in a new bed after the old one rusted through. He stripped off the fuel injection and slapped on a 2 barrel carb. The roads will wear out before that 'yota does. Gil
Andy S.

Post by Andy S. »

I just sold this 1989 4Runner, my beloved "turkey wagon" as my wife like to call it. I was third owner, 22RE motor, 275k miles, ran like a champ and didn't use or leak a drop of oil. If I were made of money, and the child seat wasn't so d*mn hard to get in/out of the back seat, I would not have ever gotten rid of it.

Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Sweet ride Andy S.. I like them older Yotas. I had a 82 and an 87. Neither ever gave me a bit of trouble, and in my younger days my trucks took a beating.
Double Naught Spy!
Andy S.

Post by Andy S. »

Thanks Ronnie. You are correct, the 1st generation Yotas are in a league of their own as far as durability and longevity goes, nothing like them.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

GLS wrote:
SCtrkyhntr wrote:Nice rig! I am a Toyota fan myself, I have one right now with 330,000 miles on it.
model and year? turkeybuster has an '87. He dropped in a like-new 22R after about 250K and put in a new bed after the old one rusted through. He stripped off the fuel injection and slapped on a 2 barrel carb. The roads will wear out before that 'yota does. Gil
Mine is a 95.5 Tacoma with the 2.4 engine in it. Body is still in great shape, my plan is to drop a new engine in it when/if the factory engine goes.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Andy, You must have felt like I did when I parted with my T100. That one looks great. You basically sold one of your children to make room for another. :lol: I mourned the loss of my T100. SCTrkyhntr, that sounds like the same plan I am going to do. A crated engine is in my future. I dropped a bundle yesterday replacing the timing belt. I was only about 71K over the recommended interval. I had let that slip by me. Religiously change the oil, etc. Gil

Return to “Gobbler Talk”