Rem Man and Va Turkey spring hunt!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Rem Man

Rem Man and Va Turkey spring hunt!

Post by Rem Man »

Hello guys I thought I would share myself and Va Turkey's hunts with you. It started off with me arriving at Ricky's place last Tuesday afternoon. I was greeted by Ricky on the porch of, I will add a BEAUTIFUL PLACE!!! in the mountains. We talked and and planned the mornings hunt. We arrived at Ricky's hunting place and it was beautiful!!! We heard several turkeys and I almost closed the deal on a nice bird, but he walked off with his lover! The next day we arrived at the same spot and right off the bat had several turkeys gobbling good on the roost. We set up and the birds got with hens. We decided to go set up where we heard them in the morning. We got all setup and it was quiet until a bird started gobbling about 500-600 yds. away. I said to Ricky I am going to walk up there and kill him. Ricky states (Go kill him my big ass is staying right here.) I walk the whole way up the farm and the bird got quiet. I called and sat there for about an hour. I walked back down to Ricky and he said I just had a bird gobbling about 200 yds. away, just as he tells me this the bird gobbles and he is much closer. Ricky and I set up and he did the calling which by the way he is an excellent caller and hunter!! I set up and he is coming. The bird gobbles once again and he is about 65 yds. away. At last I see him strutting coming right at me. The bird came into range and I sent a 2.5 ounce load of 4x5x7 nitros at him with my Bps 10 at 53 steps. The bird dropped as soon as I pulled the trigger! The bird was the biggest I have ever killed and it was a hunt I will never forget! Ricky is a guy who everyone wants to hunt with. He was as proud as me and was very happy. We walked out of the woods to the truck talking and laughing like crazy. The next day we got rained out and got an early start to PA. for my opener. We arrived at my place Friday evening and hung out and just enjoyed each others company.

We were up and ready at 4:00 am. and on our way. The first morning was an action packed day!!!! I hate to post this but my buddy missed at 32 yds. at 6 Am. After the miss we had several more going crazy! We called 2 more long beards and some hens in and guess what I missed!!!!! The birds flew off and about 1 hour later we started working another bird. I set up on the bird next to a power line with Ricky calling behind me. The bird gobbled and strutted for almost 2 hours. I got tired of his bs and put the sneak attack on him and the bps roared once again at 23 yds! It was a nice bird. we hunted the rest of the morning and went home. The next day I took Ricky into the mountains and we had 3 going on the roost. We set up on the closest bird and Ricky came real close! but it didn't happen. The mountain was beautiful and we had a pretty long trek to get there. Ricky got packed up on Wednesday and headed back to Va.

I can sum up the story by saying I am blessed to have a great friend like Ricky! He is a super guy and his family is just like him. I was treated like family and felt very welcome. It was a great trip that I will never forget. My family adores him and was sad to see him leave. We had such a great time with Ricky and my family. Ricky is also a great fisherman and is not allowed back on any trout stream in Pa. LOL!!!! I will gladly post pics if someone would do it for me. I can send the pics on a cell phone.

Thanks for reading! and thank you Ricky for the great friendship!! Love Ya Brother!
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Rem Man and Va Turkey spring hunt!

Post by hookedspur »

Congrats on a fine hunt fellows !!!
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Great story, congrats on the bird
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Awesome story. Congrats on the birds
I thought you would be BIGGER
allaboutshooting

Post by allaboutshooting »

What a great story of a great hunt. Congratulations.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Sounds like yall had fun
Momma said "kill that turkey"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”