My Ohio Season Day 7 thru 10

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 7 - Sun was cold at 38 but little to no breeze. I had taken down my portable roll-up blind Sat as I planned to try the east section of the woods where I killed a bird last Mon. I found a good spot about 200 yards into the woods & was set-up ready to go by 5:40. I sent out a few tree calls & a flydown cackle right at daybreak with no response. I called off & on every 15 minutes or so with nothing. About 9:30, the wind picked up & it got colder. I headed in shortly after 11 with no birds heard or seen again. Except for the cold & late wind, it was a beautiful day with clear blue skies. When I left, it was 50 but felt a lot colder than that due to the strong wind.

Day 8 - Mon was also cold at 34 but again, no wind. Again, tree called with no response & no response to any calling all morning. It started out really nice with mostly clear skies & only a few puffy, white clouds. That all changed about 9 when the rain clouds rolled in. It sprinkled off & on starting at 9:30 & the wind picked up as well. It was 46 when I left at 11:15 with no birds heard or seen for the 7th straight day.

Day 9 - Tues morning it was 30 with no wind & clear skies. At 6:10, wait…..STOP THE PRESSES!!!! I saw a hen. I SAW A HEN!!!! After Mon, this was only the 3rd bird, all hens that I had seen in 8 days of hunting. She ignored the dekes & my calls & kept moving west across the fields to the nest woods. Maybe 10 – 15 mins after I saw her, I spotted something white moving along the tree line of the woods to which the hen was headed. I thought it might be the smoky hen I had seen twice before but thought it was too big to be a turkey. I couldn’t see it very well through the binos & they kept fogging up as well. Shortly after 8, I saw something white moving across a field towards me. This time I could see it through the binos & it was indeed the smoky hen. It took over ½ hour for her to travel the 400 yds she eyed the dekes & walked right by them. I have never shot a bearded hen or a smoky of any type but I had noticed a dark spot on her breast where a beard would be. I kept trying to grow a beard on her but it didn’t work. She had walked past me about 30 yards but turned & walked past me at 10 – 12 yds. The dark spot could have been a very short beard but I wasn’t 100% sure, so she walked out of sight. It’s just not worth the risk killing a hen you THINK has a beard only to find out it doesn’t. Still no gobbling so, in desperation, at 10 I dug out my gobble shaker & sent out 2 singles & a double gobble with no response except to PO a fox squirrel who started cussing me up & down. After 10 mins or so, that last nerve was frayed so I turned &, in a loud voice said: “WHY DON’T YOU SHUT UP!!” Darned if it didn’t!! Wish I could do that with some people I know. LOL. I left about 11:15 with a slight breeze & 50 degrees that actually felt like 50. Anyway, except for the 2 hens, no other birds & no gobbling. This is getting depressing. After Mon, in 8 days of hunting, no gobbles heard, no gobblers seen, & only 3 different hens encountered. Hopefully the warm up will set them free.

Day 10 – Weds the weatherman was full of garbanzos again, 41 at 6 & 58 at noon when it was actually 34 & 66. There was very little breeze so it was a relatively nice day with blue skies. As I got off the 4-wheeler at the edge of the woods, I thought I heard a gobble but it wasn’t very distinct. About ½ ways to my blind, I though I heard another but, again, couldn’t tell. I got the dekes out & was ready to go at 5:52 when, FINALLY!!!! I heard a gobble!! It was in the general vicinity of where I had hunted Sunday. I don’t know what suddenly changed to flip this guy’s switch but he was hot, Hot, HOT!!!! He gobbled every 2-3 minutes on the roost &, when he flew down, he went nuts, gobbling every 30 seconds or so. This went on almost non-stop until 6:30 when I heard the last gobble of the morning. I called a couple of times & it sounded like he was coming my way but never showed up. Again, no hens heard or seen. I left about 11:45 without a happy ending. The morning didn’t end as I’d hoped but, all told, it was better than the previous 8 days combined & hope springs eternal for the last part of the Ohio season.

Well it’s off to town to do some last minute shopping for my NY trip then back home to load the truck & chillax for the rest of the day

There will be no hunting Thursday as that is a travel day to NY for the opening day on Friday & a Friends of the NRA banquet Sat night. I sure hope the weather & birds are a lot more cooperative there & when I get back home to finish the Ohio season.

These are the meals I will be taking along to The Roost in NY.

Squirrel Cacciatore

Squirrel Jambalaya

Squirrel Picadillo

Squirrel Chowder

Turkey Chili

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Well you will eat good even if you don't see or hear a bird!
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re:

Post by hookedspur »

Daman wrote:Well you will eat good even if you don't see or hear a bird!

YEP :thumbleft:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re:

Post by HunterGKS »

Daman wrote:Well you will eat good even if you don't see or hear a bird!
Well, The onliest thing I can say it, it can't be any worse than what I've had here for 8 days out of 10.
George

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: My Ohio Season Day 7 thru 10

Post by Turkinator »

All thats missing is squirrel gumbo and squirrel sauce piquant!!!
Strutbuster935

Post by Strutbuster935 »

Sounds like a tough trip but someimes you never know when mother nature is gonna throw you a curveball. Where abouts in NY are you hunting?Im in central NY near cooperstown and the birds have been pretty fired up the last couple of days! I cant wait til friday! Like a kid waiting on christmas.Best of luck to you in NY.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Strutbuster935 wrote:Sounds like a tough trip but someimes you never know when mother nature is gonna throw you a curveball. Where abouts in NY are you hunting?Im in central NY near cooperstown and the birds have been pretty fired up the last couple of days! I cant wait til friday! Like a kid waiting on christmas.Best of luck to you in NY.
Norwich & I'm hearing the same thing.
George

Strutbuster935

Post by Strutbuster935 »

Norwich isnt far from me about 30 miles...Good amount of birds down that way and a good amount of state land in the area. Best of luck to ya
hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

Keep at it your luck will change. Hopefully the weather will break and then the gobblers will come in on a string.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

If I don't hear anything 2 days in a row I'm heading to new territory and will come back in a week or so. Props to you for sticking it out

Return to “Gobbler Talk”