Measuring Spurs

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
GobbleNut

Measuring Spurs

Post by GobbleNut »

Measuring a gobbler's spurs is apparently not an exact science. The area where the spur comes out of the leg often has no clear definition of where the spur actually starts. Often there will be a kind of ring around the base of the spur, and even some scaley growth at the base that makes it hard to determine where to hold the tape for an accurate measurement.

Looking at various pictures of people measuring them, I see some holding the tape at the point where the ring of skin meets the leg,...and some measure where the ring meets the spur,...and both points are sometimes hard to tell for sure.

I also see people using a stiff tape and measuring in a straight line across the spur (wrong method, for sure),...and others that use a flexible tape and measure along the longest arc of the spur (correct method).

The fact is that, depending on which way you measure, you can easily add a sixteenth or an eighth of an inch to each spur length (or cheat yourself out of some length),...and that can make a big difference in a birds total score.

Anyway,...what is your opinion on where the tape is supposed to be held at the base of the spur?
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Measuring Spurs

Post by guesswho »

I just start at the back of the leg to be safe. Don't want to cheat myself.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
aristico

Post by aristico »

I like to start from the longest toe......every inch counts......
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Measure the spur from the lower edge of the base to the tip, following the curve if there is any. Measure spur only, not scales or skin. measure with a flexible tape as you would if you were measuring a antler or horn. Give it what it is, none less, none more.
I have also seen some of those pics of spur measurement, some are outrageous. It's NOT like measuring a cats tail.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I've probably measured my bird wrong.....I better go back and redo it....heck he'll have 2" spurs now!

Thanks guys!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Bigspurs68 wrote:Measure the spur from the lower edge of the base to the tip, following the curve if there is any. Measure spur only, not scales or skin. measure with a flexible tape as you would if you were measuring a antler or horn. Give it what it is, none less, none more.
I have also seen some of those pics of spur measurement, some are outrageous. It's NOT like measuring a cats tail.
Yep. I see guys all over the net measuring from the scales and using metal tape. Neither are correct if you want to know the actual length. I see more over measuring instead of shorting themselves tho
fountain

Post by fountain »

Take a piece of paper, make a fold in it and lay it at the base of the bottom of the spur and measure the curve. That's another ways I've been told to measure.

Right?
Wrong?

Someone post up some pics...I've seen some Wilde measurements where a 1 1/8 spurr came up to 1 3/8 pretty easy. My home state forum had a gobbler contest and there are odd measuring ways listed this year for sure... kinda like some of the bucks I see posted around too
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

That's why i don't care for turkey contest, there's one on this forum that consistently adds 1/4"-1/2" to every spur he has
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

So in other words, not from the tip of his beak to the end of the spur? Gil
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

The pic turkey slayer posted is perfect. If you draw a line on the longest curve of the spur which should be the bottom side toward the ground or foot it should strike the leg in the center if viewing the turkey from behind if it were standing on its feet. The spur base is sloped from the outside of the leg to the inside. The measurement point should be the center line of the spur from outside to inside of the leg were held vertical. Some guys try to measure longest part of the curve correctly but then incorrectly measure all the way to the lowest exposed part of the spur on the inside of the gobbler's leg thus adding length and not measuring the center of spur. Confusing??
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

They don't make a ruler that can measure the grandeur of the wild turkey gobbler. Best you can do is eyeball it and add a 1/4" just to be safe try to do him justice.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I measure it like it was an antler. Draw a line where the spur meets the leg and measure the arc of the spur.
Eph 2:8-9
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Why does it even matter?
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
trkykilr

Measuring Spurs

Post by trkykilr »

Rockhound wrote:That's why i don't care for turkey contest, there's one on this forum that consistently adds 1/4"-1/2" to every spur he has
I vowed to never take another picture measuring a beard or spur. Screw contests. That's not why I hunt. I rarely even measure birds anymore. If he looks like he may be 1.5 I'll put a tape on him but just for my knowledge. It's about the experience.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

trkykilr wrote:
Rockhound wrote:That's why i don't care for turkey contest, there's one on this forum that consistently adds 1/4"-1/2" to every spur he has
I vowed to never take another picture measuring a beard or spur. Screw contests. That's not why I hunt. I rarely even measure birds anymore. If he looks like he may be 1.5 I'll put a tape on him but just for my knowledge. It's about the experience.

Same here. The last time I took measurements for a contest I killed a great hybrid in NE. I thought it might weigh 25 or 26 lbs and have 1-1/2" spurs. It was 24 lbs and the spurs were just a tad over 1-3/8". I found myself disappointed. STOOPID. Not the contest just my competitive nature getting silly. I have never entered another contest, taken measurement pics or give another flip what a gobbler scored.
hootn

Post by hootn »

you mean we dont measure from the fronnt of the leg, gee...
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Like a squirrels tail. From the azz hole to the tip. :-)

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I measure mine with a half scale ruler(6 inches = 1 foot) every one I kill has at least 1.75 inch spurs. :lol:
El Sicario
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

You mean these aren't 2-1/4" spurs??
spurs.jpg
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Here are some 2.5 inch spurs I won a contest with last year. :thumbup: Guesswho can verify those are accurate.

Jamey

Post by Jamey »

I need you to start measuring mine for me Doug. :thumbup:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”