Hows the gobbling?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
turkey_slayer

Hows the gobbling?

Post by turkey_slayer »

Hearing much? Went to Tenn this morning and heard 9. Roost gobbling was slow but they fired up after fly down and gobbled good till about 9:15. All were off public so cant hunt em but it was nice listening. Heading back in the morning cause I still havent found any on public in 3 trips. Looks like there was no mast crop so its going to be tough. Heading to my spots in Va this weekend to get a head count but most guys Ive talked to have said the gobbling has been good on the roost then nothing.Still in huge flocks.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hows the gobbling?

Post by appalachianassassin »

its getting better. I heard 1 gobble 3 times this morning. later in the morning there were 5 longbeards strutting 100 yards from where he was roosted. :P :struttin: :P
El Sicario
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

We're short on gobblers in Middle GA. I listened several mornings in a row and only heard about a dozen. The one I killed yesterday was still henned up in the middle of the day.
onegoodshot

Post by onegoodshot »

Heard first bird last Saturday. Rained a lot last week, but dried up Friday with lots of sunshine and they have been really sounding off the last 2 days.
I'm your huckleberry.
customcutter

Post by customcutter »

They were slow, and populations were down in lower Al. I finally figured out why Sat AM, when I saw 2 coyotes less than an hour apart. There are normally at least 4 flocks with 20-25 birds in them, and lots of small bachelor groups. I saw one flock with 12 birds this year. Time to do some predator control.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

The population has been on a steady decline for several years in my main hunting areas here in La, so nothing going on there. Not to mention it's rained nearly every day lately. I got in a good pocket of birds the last two days while carrying kids on the youth hunt. It rained both days, so no talking on the limb. I ended up getting them fired up around 9 both morns despite the rain. Got my hunter on a bird Sat morn, but he locked up at 60 and wouldn't budge. This morn I got 4 cranked up about 9. Had a sure enough swinger to 80, but just couldn't beat the small flock of mouthy hens behind him. About the time I got the others to sound off, the neighbor cranked up his tractor to move hay and it was all over. They hit one more time about 500yds out. All in all it was an outstanding hunt and both kids laid eyes on big toms and heard good gobbling. I don't think they understood how lucky they were to have that kind of action in rain. It was a good scouting excursion as well, so maybe I can outsmart them next wknd.
Last edited by Reloader on March 22nd, 2015, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy S.

Post by Andy S. »

turkey_slayer wrote:Went to Tenn this morning and heard 9. Roost gobbling was slow but they fired up after fly down and gobbled good till about 9:15.
What part of the state, or what county? Just trying to get a general idea because not much going on in my neck of the woods (that I'm aware of).
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Andy S. wrote:
turkey_slayer wrote:Went to Tenn this morning and heard 9. Roost gobbling was slow but they fired up after fly down and gobbled good till about 9:15.
What part of the state, or what county? Just trying to get a general idea because not much going on in my neck of the woods (that I'm aware of).
Far northeast part in Sullivan county near the Johnson county line
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

howl wrote:We're short on gobblers in Middle GA. I listened several mornings in a row and only heard about a dozen. The one I killed yesterday was still henned up in the middle of the day.
A friend is heading down Wednesday to hunt with one of his friends that lives there. Said it's been slow. Few roost gobbles then nothing rest of the day. He's on some prime ground to.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Reloader wrote:The population has been on a steady decline for several years in my main hunting areas here in La, so nothing going on there. Not to mention it's rained nearly every day lately. I got in a good pocket of birds the last two days while carrying kids on the youth hunt. It rained both days, so no talking on the limb. I ended up getting them fired up around 9 both morns despite the rain. Got my hunter on a bird Sat morn, but he locked up at 60 and wouldn't budge. This morn I got 4 cranked up about 9. Had a sure enough swinger to 80, but just couldn't beat the small flock of mouthy hens behind him. About the time I got the others to sound off, the neighbor cranked up his tractor to move hay and it was all over. They hit one more time about 500yds out. All in all it was an outstanding hunt and both kids laid eyes on big toms and heard good gobbling. I don't think they understood how lucky they were to have that kind of action in rain. It was a good scouting excursion as well, so maybe I can outsmart them next wknd.
Sounds like a good time Ronnie! I never had a clear day on youth hunts and it can be frustrating but at least they got to see some action. I've noticed the population has been slowly declining since the late 90s in my spots. We've had some bad hatches but we've had some stellar ones to.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

It's been pretty slow on my piece of property here in LA, but every morning I've been, the weather hasn't been great. Everyone I talked to that went on the youth hunt over the weekend, on other properties, heard birds. I have only one day this week I'll be able to scout before the opener Saturday...not looking/sounding too good from what I've seen/heard so far.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I'm just starting to hear a few in the last couple days. Made it worth while getting up and going listening.
202P&Y

Post by 202P&Y »

Been extremely quiet in west Alabama. Should be right in a week or so
Proverbs 3:5-6
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Gobblers have split and gotten with small groups of hens here is SC. Went scouting a new piece of state land Saturday and heard 4 birds with 75-100 gobbles between them on the roost then another 20-30 on the ground before slipping out. Went to another spot to meet up with a friend and he heard three on the roost. On the way in I heard a bird gobble twice in a creek bottom as I was walking around 8:15. Around 10 we were working our way back and my friend decided to hit the crow call. First time we heard nothing, walked about 100 yards and he hit it again and a bird gobbled. Waited a few minutes and hit it again and the bird hammered again. Things are looking good here in the upper part of the state for the April 1 opener. Just hope Fla is fired up for this weekend.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

The one I killed this afternoon was still henned up at two o'clock. Two gobblers and a few hens. He did gobble on his own, though. As I was headed home, I spotted two more on a power line strutting. I slammed the brakes and hit reverse. Posted signs everywhere! Really burst my bubble. I mighta already had one in the back, but that wouldn't have stopped me. Then I pulled a call out and tried for a gobble at least. They cleared out. Burst my other bubble.

I'm going back to work. I'd rather hunt the rest of the season without another kill than limit out opening week. Good hunting!
jasonb53

Post by jasonb53 »

what does a gobble sound like?

Return to “Gobbler Talk”