Official I missed thread... 2015 Edition

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

I'll start...

Gobbles on the roost. This ******* was drumming on the other side of a water filled ditch for 15 minutes. I could see him but couldn't get a clean shot. He finally flew over and landed directly to my left. As a lefty that's not where I wanted him. He was about to bug out so I turned and shot as fast as I could. No dice...

Sad face
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Official I missed thread... 2015 Edition

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Let's just say you aren't the first and won't be the last. Hopefully you will get another shot at him!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Been there,done that. Sucks. Better luck next time.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

hey man, that just means you get to hunt him again. :thumbup:
El Sicario
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

There is years I could have made this the longest thread in GN history.
bayou sportsman

Post by bayou sportsman »

Shoot at enough of them, you will miss. Don't let it get you down it happens to all of us.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

I hope to stay off this thread.... :lol: sorry chad...
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Coulda made an entry last year. As few as we have this year, I'm only taking sure shots.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:There is years I could have made this the longest thread in GN history.
Right with ya. I've missed more than some of my buddy's have killed. I need a o/u with one barrel that throws a 20" pattern at 5 yards
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Sucks! Always seems to remember the bad ones.
dirtnap

Post by dirtnap »

I missed 4 in a row one year. 2 in one morning on 2 different setups. I never laugh or make fun of anyone that misses.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Lord knows, I've missed my share. A red dot helps that a lot.
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

I've never missed in my life killer has dusted thousands of turkeys. To bad you guys can't be like me.

Want me autograph now? Lol
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

killerstump wrote:I've never missed in my life killer has dusted thousands of turkeys. To bad you guys can't be like me.

Thousands? Lets see 1000/24 years = 41.6. Dang thats an average of over 1 a day and 32 over my tag limit :mrgreen: . You keep shooting and you will miss. Its the nature of the beast. Usually its to close, to far, to thick but sometimes you get one and your already filling out the tag before you pull the trigger cause theres no way you can miss yet the bird runs/flys off. Bad thing about misses is most arent clean misses unless hes in your lap.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

killerstump wrote:I've never missed in my life killer has dusted thousands of turkeys. To bad you guys can't be like me.

Careful. The turkey gods don't like that kinda talk. You may have just ensured yourself of a miss this year! :D
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Waddle Whacker wrote:

Careful. The turkey gods don't like that kinda talk. You may have just ensured yourself of a miss this year! :D
Hell hath no fury like a turkey god scorned :mrgreen:
wbpc

Post by wbpc »

Shot a sweet gum tree instead of my gobbler the other morning. Thought I was clear of it but obviously not. Sucks, but it is part of it. At least I did not cripple him. Also my 8 year old son got to shoot at his first yesterday morning and shot over him at 23 steps. It was a great hunt and I wish he would have got him but he was excited to just get the opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

Waddle Whacker wrote:

lol the turkey gods are probably rolling around laughing cause They know that was a ball faced lie if I ever typed 1 lol I usually mid atleast 2 a year.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

killerstump wrote:
Waddle Whacker wrote:

lol the turkey gods are probably rolling around laughing cause They know that was a ball faced lie if I ever typed 1 lol I usually mid atleast 2 a year.
:lol: :lol:
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

wbpc wrote:Shot a sweet gum tree instead of my gobbler the other morning. Thought I was clear of it but obviously not. Sucks, but it is part of it. At least I did not cripple him. Also my 8 year old son got to shoot at his first yesterday morning and shot over him at 23 steps. It was a great hunt and I wish he would have got him but he was excited to just get the opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's just catch and release hunting :D
Cleveland48

Post by Cleveland48 »

New to the forum here, so guess this is a good thread to jump in on. Missed on opening day this year in Ms. I new it was bad as soon as I pulled the trigger I know I pulled my face up off the stock as the shot broke. First one I'm missed in a couple years, I forgot how bad it hurts!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
customcutter

Post by customcutter »

Yes, I missed twice Sat AM. I hadn't heard much or seen much all week, so I decided to take the new Stoeger 20ga instead of the Mossberg bantam 500 20ga. Yes, that's right the one with the POA/POI issue. I figured I needed a change of luck, and that I could just hold a little high if I was lucky enough to get a shot. No problem for an experienced turkey killer right. Not only did I miss, I missed twice. Full story in another thread to follow.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Wow...y'all suck. I've killed slightly over 5600 turkeys and have yet to miss a single one! How in the world do you miss a turkey with a shotgun???

Yeah, right :lol: :lol: ......we all miss from time to time. I try to laugh it off, but it's hard sometimes.
Last edited by MKW on March 22nd, 2015, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultimate Predator
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

There are times it's beyond hard especially when he comes in on a string and you blow it. I seem to be known to do that
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

It's certainly a bad feeling, but happens to everyone if you chase them long enough.

I missed a good tom last year. I battled with him for several days and finally got him to commit, but he circled, came in behind me, and busted really close. A couple days later I finally had him in close again and hit a dang vine in front of the gun! What really hurt is it took a couple more weeks to finally get on him again. I smacked him right upside the noggin on that encounter. Funny thing was he had old shot in him from years past. Guess he finally ran out of lives.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”