TSS Long Shots

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Gooserbat

TSS Long Shots

Post by Gooserbat »

Okay with all the talk about TSS and all the pics of very dead paper at 40, 50, 60+ yards I've ordered the supplies to "role my own." Now I would like to see some dead turkey pics that were 55 yard shots and beyond.

Thanks.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

TSS Long Shots

Post by gophert »

Not my best moment but rolled this one on shot #3 at 72 steps with the 20 ga.

Sent from my typewriter
honker22

Re: TSS Long Shots

Post by honker22 »

I've been loading TSS for 4 years now and for some reason the turkeys keep coming closer. I'm not sure if I've had a 40+ shot since I began loading it... of course, long shots weren't my reason for loading it. I just got fed up with inconsistent factory loads.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Dadgum I purt near had a heart attack.Thought I heard the "BAN HAMMER" falling.Then I remembered I wasn't on OG no more. :lol: I know a bunch of the guys have killed them at extended ranges ,and done so proficiently . The first bird I ever killed was 63 steps with #6 lead. Pure luck.I wouldnt try it again unless I was shooting TSS.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Chased him all over the Sioux indian reservation in NE. It was the second day I'd chased him and he finally poked his head up at 64 yards.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I hear ya Dusty!! Most of the birds from the last 3 years seem to be between 15 and 25yds, and some 30. :dontknow: Seems like when I shot CP lead, they were always 40, or more!!! :lol:

These are our two most memorable long kills.
The very first time I ever pulled the trigger using TSS, was this 110yd accident double. I was shooting at the first one at 55yds, and didn't even know there was another way, way behind him. Too bad for him, I guess.
The eve pic was Lily's 20ga, Lil Nelli. We were hustling it down a path to get to a roost area, when we happened upon 4 young Longbeards messing around. They didn't run, but we were busted none the less. I knew they were far for the 20, but I told her to shoot at the clearest head shot. The 8.5s flattened that turkey out cold at 64yds!
Attachments
Picture 644.jpg
Picture 356.jpg
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I'm sorry, but this is a terrible thread. I'm not against the occasional 50+ yarder, but this is ridiculous.
Of course, that is only MY opinion...which don't count for much. :mrgreen:
I know...I know, I don't have to read it, but it's like a train wreck. It's terrible, but I can't look away. :lol:
Ultimate Predator
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

USofA MIke. You are entitled to you opinion. Now I know I have a pic somewhere just can't find it. Killed one at 62. Really thought he was 45 but an open clearcut and a very alert bird I missjudged bad. He did ride home tho.
I agree with Mike that we should be callin em in close. I want all mine at 30. Just doesn't happen all the things time.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

MKW wrote:I'm sorry, but this is a terrible thread. I'm not against the occasional 50+ yarder, but this is ridiculous.
Of course, that is only MY opinion...which don't count for much. :mrgreen:
I know...I know, I don't have to read it, but it's like a train wreck. It's terrible, but I can't look away. :lol:
my thoughts as well
El Sicario
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

We all of course know that the only real turkey hunter is one that sits next to a tree with a cane yelper, no cushion and a 12 gauge shooting lead #4's, wearing jeans and plaid coat ! :roll: :LMAO:

Forgot also they must be born in Al, Ar,La Ms, Mo, S.C. Fl.or Ga.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

honker22 wrote:I've been loading TSS for 4 years now and for some reason the turkeys keep coming closer. I'm not sure if I've had a 40+ shot since I began loading it... of course, long shots weren't my reason for loading it. I just got fed up with inconsistent factory loads.
Man you ain't kidding. I don't know how many we have killed in the last 5 years with tss but none have been further than what we killed with lead and hevi. A few I could have used a baseball bat on
customcutter

Post by customcutter »

Called one to about 75 yards this AM. If he had come to 40 he would of rode home. Long shots are not what TSS is about. I let the 5 jakes walk also, they were only 10 yds. I should have shot them for spooking the 8 hens and long beard that I had been working on for an hour to cross the pasture. The jakes busted in between me and the flock and sent the flock north bound.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

I have only shot two birds over forty with TSS. One was 50 (thought was 40) and the only other one over 40 was 43.5 last year. I know TSS will whack one way out there, but I shoot it because it throws the most forgiving pattern up close and still has plenty left to 50. Also, like others have said I know I can make the same shell, with same performance year after year.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

For what it's worth, i thought my NE bird was 50ish. But I'm honestly not sure in that moment I would have done anything different had I known it was 64 because I knew my pattern was good at that range and I was sick of chasing that elusive bastard.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

I think my post is taken out of context. I not endorsing 67 yard shots. I mean I'm a full time call manufacturer, I have a vested interest in you calling them close. I just wanted to see through the smoke and mirrors and see the blood n feathers.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Ain't no smoke and mirrors. You can kill one at 80yrds with TSS, if you want to. And if it can be done, it will be done.
Ultimate Predator
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

I took the first unethical shot of my career today. I killed a bird stone dead at 58 excited downhill steps with 2oz TSS 9's. If history of my steps is any indicator, he was 62-65 yards. I didn't misjudge him. I had him figured for 60. I have taken long shots before, but they were all serious misjudgments(silhouetted head). I have maintained 50 yards as my limit, even with TSS. I got excited today and took a long shot. I'm glad the result was a dead bird. That is nasty stuff. I still shouldn't have taken that shot.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

MKW wrote:Ain't no smoke and mirrors. You can kill one at 80yrds with TSS, if you want to. And if it can be done, it will be done.
By some sure but lumping everybody together is kind of dumb don't ya think? That would be like me saying everybody shooting lead keeps there shots within 40. Hell at 80 my dot would cover the whole bird. That's just sending a hail merry
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Read again...I didn't lump anyone in. I just said if it can be done, it will be done. I, in no way, insinuated that it would be done by everyone or in every situation.
Ultimate Predator
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

TSS Long Shots

Post by killerstump »

MKW wrote:Read again...I didn't lump anyone in. I just said if it can be done, it will be done. I, in no way, insinuated that it would be done by everyone or in every situation.
Somebody's bird dead at 80 is as dead as your bird at 5. In the end dead is a free ride to the skillet man. It wasn't your hunt so let it be. I don't see nobody booing you for shooting other than TSS cuz nobody cares. You said earlier in the thread you cant not look. Cool if ya Can't not look. Learn just not to post!
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

killerstump wrote: Cool if ya Can't not look. Learn just not to post!
LOL...you don't know me very well. I will speak my mind, always...popular or not.
Honestly, I mostly just laugh at this stuff.
Ultimate Predator
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

:LMAO: :happy1:
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

TSS Long Shots

Post by killerstump »

Always 1 on every forum. And you sir are it!!!

Pardon me for stepping out of line if I may have moderators.
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

Let's get back to the topic instead of killing dead horses
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

killerstump wrote:Always 1 on every forum. And you sir are it!!!

Pardon me for stepping out of line if I may have moderators.
Mike has been around these boards a long time.. Once upon a time on a forum far far away there was a member I thought I hated named MKW, I thought he was the most arrogant, egotistical bastard to ever man a keyboard.. I went to my first NWTF convention with much the same opinion you have now and no desire to meet this guy and now we are good friends.. Mike has his opinions but alot is the truth that some can not digest..

Did he ever say everyones intentions is to shoot turkeys at 80 yards? No, I trust most of the old loaders on here and especially the ones dipping into the little gauges are just having fun loading.. But you would be ignorant to think in today's fast paced success at any cost society that for every 1 of the long time loaders here with no desire to kill a bird at 80 yards there is 10 morons that have never heard of TSS and think shooting turkeys at 80 yards is sporting and would use it in such a manner...

Return to “Gobbler Talk”