% of Gobblers that rarely gobble

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Splittoe

% of Gobblers that rarely gobble

Post by Splittoe »

Every year during preseason I'll locate 4-5 gobblers on my lease. You can count on these gobbling 80-90% of the mornings. Then on a real clear perfect morning I'll hear turkeys gobbling everywhere when they day before it'd be only 1-2 gobbling. It makes me wonder how many turkeys only gobble once or twice a week on the roost? Anybody else expierence anything like this
Greyghost

Re: % of Gobblers that rarely gobble

Post by Greyghost »

Man, that would be a tough one to figure out, lots of variables there. Weather, gobblers may not just have been there the day before, hens in the area or not around, boss gobbler in the area, pressure etc..
Yes happens to me. Sometimes even bad weather days they will sound off. And bluebird days little or nothing. Thats what makes it so interesting, sometimes not much of a consistent routine. I just usually end up :scratch: and continue on.
blunderbuss

Post by blunderbuss »

Happens all the time around here! :(
FloppinTom

Post by FloppinTom »

I think pressure has a lot to do with the gobbling also. I hunted a place in the 80s that you heard one gobbler or none gobbling from the roost. I hunted the area because the mailman told me he saw them in the fields later in the day. Two different mornings that season a light rain moved in and 20 minutes later the woods are blowing up with gobbles. 3 or 4 birds. I killed a bird on the second rainy morning after spooking one the first rainy morning. They gobble when they want to. LOL
Get there early, stay late, sit still and don't use weather as an excuse to stay home.
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

I have a place that is notorious for the birds doing this. There have been many days that I would swear I could hear 30+ standing in one spot. I've come back the next 5 days and not heard a peep.

The great thing about it is that the birds are still there, and if they aren't gobbling, they can't expect hens to come to them as readily.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

The inconsistency in gobbling has always been fascinating. Same weather two days in a row and they gobble their heads off in all direction one day and nothing the next.
treeguy338

Post by treeguy338 »

Where I hunt there is enough pressure they usually stop gobbling about the Second weekend of the season, last year I had to change tactics, kind of hard to run and gun if they won't gobble
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

It's a mystery. I have come to the conclusion the barometric pressure doesn't totally have much to do with gobbling, but I still always check it. I go on a clear warm morning with no clouds in the sky, BP around 30.01 and rising and hear 1-2 gobble every now and then. Next day it's cloudy and cold BP is around 29 and dropping and they'll gonnle their fool heads off, go figure. But like I said I will check the BP every morning and I have noticed birds do seem to gobble better on high pressure days or when the pressure is rising but that's not always the case. For several years I kept a journal of BP and how many gobblers/gobbles I heard that day and it never showed anything consistent. Not saying it's a myth because there's some correlation but not always correct.
Pass the biscuits!!
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I quit trying to figure that one out years ago. Some days the rattle the woods everywhere, and other days, you can't get one to gobble anywhere.
Cold, windy, rainy, sunny, warm, cloudy. They just have days they like to talk, and I just hope I'm there when it happens!! :mrgreen:
K9Doc

Post by K9Doc »

I don't believe hunting pressure has anything
To do with gobbling activity.
Turkeys gobble for 2 reasons:
1. Territorial
2. To call Hens
Henned up birds may ONLY Drum.
Birds with few hens or no hens, may gobble
A lot.
Areas with lots of Toms may gobble more
Because of competition

All this being said, if I ever figure out the good
Gobble days, I WILL BE RICH!!!!
LOL
MississippiGobbler

Post by MississippiGobbler »

K9Doc wrote:I don't believe hunting pressure has anything
To do with gobbling activity.
Turkeys gobble for 2 reasons:
1. Territorial
2. To call Hens
Henned up birds may ONLY Drum.
Birds with few hens or no hens, may gobble
A lot.
Areas with lots of Toms may gobble more
Because of competition

All this being said, if I ever figure out the good
Gobble days, I WILL BE RICH!!!!
LOL
To say that hunting pressure "doesn't have anything" to do with gobbling activity is asinine. I'm guessing you don't hunt a lot of public land... :?
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

One area I use to hunt in Southern Iowa went from a heavy gobbling area to almost no gobbling. Yet their was a good population of birds. Talking to the rancher about the weird behavior of the birds, he said they had become over run with predators including Coyotes, Bobcats, and even a Mountain Lion in that area. If you called a lot aggressively, the birds avoided you like the plague, so you did short soft calling to get birds to come in. So, on that experience, I know heavy predation will shut them up all day, and I am guessing heavy pressure from hunters would have a similar response from Turkeys.
ImageImageImage
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

sometimes I think the young 2 yr olds ect might be afraid to gobble. maybe a real bad boy whippin their butts every time they open their mouth. take out mr spurs, then other turkeys might start to gobble again. this has been my experience anyway.
El Sicario
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

appalachianassassin wrote:sometimes I think the young 2 yr olds ect might be afraid to gobble. maybe a real bad boy whippin their butts every time they open their mouth. take out mr spurs, then other turkeys might start to gobble again. this has been my experience anyway.
True. Almost all the 2 year olds I have shot came in silent unless the area was lacking older Gobblers.
ImageImageImage
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

A pretty high percentage of them around here don't gobble after the first week.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

guesswho wrote:A pretty high percentage of them around here don't gobble after the first week.
Yeah, but that's probably because their spurs are in your bucket.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

Gobbling is 1 way a gobbler communicates with his hens. Even though you don't hear a gobble doesn't mean he isn't answering you or other turkeys. If somebody would come up with a device that could hear spitting and drumming then you could tell exactly how many turkeys are in an area. A turkey can't stop being a turkey no matter what.

Joe
Eph 2:8-9

Return to “Gobbler Talk”