Long Beard haters and why???

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
FloppinTom

Re: Long Beard haters and why???

Post by FloppinTom »

LOL I like shooting a 16ga with TSS. I really can't get a factory turkey load that will come close to the TSS loads. Im forced to suffer shooting TSS, no winchester longbeards, no hevi-shot just lead.
Im getting the vibe there may not be long beard haters here but maybe some TSS haters. :stir:
Get there early, stay late, sit still and don't use weather as an excuse to stay home.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Joe, Yildiz this year came out with a 12 gauge single-shot that weighs 4.7 lbs., but I'm set with lightweight guns. I'm sure there are also some Savage 220's that could fill the bill, but I made the move to 20's a half-dozen years ago and got rid of my SBE almost two years ago. I am not aware of any gun with a 28" barrel with a walnut stock and forend weighing less than 3 lbs, 3 oz., as does the Yildiz single-shot .410. It costs $129 NIB, less than some custom turkey chokes. A pound of TSS 9's will load 19 rounds of 13/16 oz. .410 shells. As you do, I prefer to shoot single-shots for turkeys. I've said this before that I'd rather for turkeys shoot a tricked-out $90 single shot and have stockpiled a $1,000 worth of TSS than have a $1500+ Benelli and be dependent on Winchester, Federal or Remington to make shells for me. I prefer the independence and freedom from the marketing whims of the ammo companies. Gil
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

GLS wrote:Joe, Yildiz this year came out with a 12 gauge single-shot that weighs 4.7 lbs., but I'm set with lightweight guns. I'm sure there are also some Savage 220's that could fill the bill, but I made the move to 20's a half-dozen years ago and got rid of my SBE almost two years ago. I am not aware of any gun with a 28" barrel with a walnut stock and forend weighing less than 3 lbs, 3 oz., as does the Yildiz single-shot .410. It costs $129 NIB, less than some custom turkey chokes. A pound of TSS 9's will load 19 rounds of 13/16 oz. .410 shells. As you do, I prefer to shoot single-shots for turkeys. I've said this before that I'd rather for turkeys shoot a tricked-out $90 single shot and have stockpiled a $1,000 worth of TSS than have a $1500+ Benelli and be dependent on Winchester, Federal or Remington to make shells for me. I prefer the independence and freedom from the marketing whims of the ammo companies. Gil
bet that yildiz 12 with a heavy 3 inch load would kick good
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

FloppinTom wrote:LOL I like shooting a 16ga with TSS. I really can't get a factory turkey load that will come close to the TSS loads. Im forced to suffer shooting TSS, no winchester longbeards, no hevi-shot just lead.
Im getting the vibe there may not be long beard haters here but maybe some TSS haters. :stir:
what 16ga make do you carry?
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

FloppinTom wrote:LOL I like shooting a 16ga with TSS. I really can't get a factory turkey load that will come close to the TSS loads. Im forced to suffer shooting TSS, no winchester longbeards, no hevi-shot just lead.
Oh Man, did you hit the nail on the head! At least now we really know who the REAL Haters are!! :o
DC1.

Post by DC1. »

Shooter wrote:
Oh Man, did you hit the nail on the head! At least now we really know who the REAL Haters are!! :o
I thought I was on OG for a minute! :o :shock: :?
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Imagine being there when a guy with a bow showed it to a guy with a atlatl.
My arrowheads are smaller and penetrate better. My bow is light and I personally feel more confident using it.
Well.... That is unethical and aginst tribe rules. You should be ashamed for killing that rabbit with your little arrows... You are banished, go start your own tribe.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Bigspurs68 wrote:Imagine being there when a guy with a bow showed it to a guy with a atlatl.
My arrowheads are smaller and penetrate better. My bow is light and I personally feel more confident using it.
Well.... That is unethical and aginst tribe rules. You should be ashamed for killing that rabbit with your little arrows... You are banished, go start your own tribe.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

No hate here; longbeards-squealing hen-haint and a funky chicken deke and you're good to go! Just kidding if i shot lead i'd shoot them :struttin:
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

As ethical hunters, it is up to us to make as efficient and lethal a shot to dispatch our prey as possible. Since shot pellets are our only direct connection between us and the gobbler, it only makes sense to hunt with the best pattern possible out of any gauge gun you choose to hunt with. I don't reload, so I'm forced to use factory loads. I shoot Hevi-13 #6s or #7s because it performs better than anything else I've tried and is definitely over-kill at the distances I shoot turkeys.

As great an innovation as Longbeard ammo is (I haven't shot any yet), seeing it advertized recklessly as being a 66 yard turkey killer seems pretty irresponsible to me. Longbeards may be capable of throwing good patterns and killing turkeys at longer distances, but I believe those ads will encourage some hunters to attempt ridiculously long shots and risk wounding and losing more turkeys that they probably never would have tried shooting at before. I don't have a hate on for Longbeard ammo, but I do for the Winchester marketing department and for using the Drury's for attempting to give credibility to irresponsible behavior.

I wish TSS was factory loaded so it was more readily available, but we all know how bad some people would squawk about the cost and start another pointless cost/performance debate. Bottom line; Shoot the best you can to get the job done right.

Jim
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I don't understand why folks disparge the Drurys so much. After all, Mark gave us the Silent Whistle guaranteed to shock gobblers into gobbling. It works everytime, but unfortunately the gobbler gives a silent gobble in response. My whistle can be found where I threw it--the bottom of the Ogeechee River. Gil
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

GLS wrote:I don't understand why folks disparge the Drurys so much. After all, Mark gave us the Silent Whistle guaranteed to shock gobblers into gobbling. It works everytime, but unfortunately the gobbler gives a silent gobble in response. My whistle can be found where I threw it--the bottom of the Ogeechee River. Gil

My son had borrowed my owl hooter..

so on the drive to Ky openers turkey season I stopped and bought my tags at the Walmart store. Seen a Primos owl hooter and bought one there in a pinch.

didn't know I had to drill my own hole in the bottom to get the sound to come out..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

ok I concede. tss is the greatest thing ever. it will transform a bb gun into a bazooka. you gotta get some and get it now and if you cant afford it you are irresponsible and unethical. you flat out don't deserve to hunt.
El Sicario
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

DC1. wrote: I thought I was on OG for a minute! :o :shock: :?
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
x2

whats up with the Tss bull, if you don't like TO see TSS TALK THEN GO BACK !!! that's y I came here so I could talk turkey and TSS.

I DONT TALK BAD ABOUT HEVI SHOOTERs OR LEAD SHOOTERs, JUST GO AND SHOOT AND KILL BIRDS YOUR WAY.

:dontknow: OK IM DONE !!! :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

Brian :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

GOLD HUNTER wrote:
Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
x2

whats up with the Tss bull, if you don't like TO see TSS TALK THEN GO BACK !!! that's y I came here so I could talk turkey and TSS.

I DONT TALK BAD ABOUT HEVI SHOOTERs OR LEAD SHOOTERs, JUST GO AND SHOOT AND KILL BIRDS YOUR WAY.

:dontknow: OK IM DONE !!! :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

Brian :thumbup:

They want TSS but are TOO Tight to spend money on it ! It's called Jealous ! :thumbup:
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I promise you...if I wanted TSS, I'd have TSS. I have seen no reason to be jealous. For me, it is certainly not the cost that keeps me from shooting it.
Ultimate Predator
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Long Beard haters and why???

Post by killerstump »

It smells in here. Starting here^
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

MKW wrote:I promise you...if I wanted TSS, I'd have TSS. I have seen no reason to be jealous. For me, it is certainly not the cost that keeps me from shooting it.
I'd just like to know what you did with those shells I sent you. It is obvious to me that you never shot any, otherwise, we would not be having this discussion. It only takes one (1) shot on a turkey with it to make a true believer. :shock:
Everyone else that got a trial run has raved about them.
Heck, even my ole die hard, old school buddy from NM, thinks they are the Cat's Meow!!

Ronnie's test doesn't count, he kills all his birds less than 20yds. Kind-of hard to judge when you keep blowing their heads clean off!! :LMAO:
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I shot one at piece of tin and the pattern was amazing. But, it shot a good 5-6" off my point of aim so I didn't want to reset my FFII to shoot the other 4. I'll kill one with it this year out of my 870. I have no doubt that it will be great, but I just have no need for a 60-70-80yrd shell.
Ultimate Predator
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

No problem, I probably shoot 90% of my birds at 30 and usually less, but it's nice knowing you can do it at 60 if needs be. :thumbup:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Shooter wrote:It only takes one (1) shot on a turkey with it to make a true believer. :shock:
Everyone else that got a trial run has raved about them.
Ronnie's test doesn't count, he kills all his birds less than 20yds. Kind-of hard to judge when you keep blowing their heads clean off!! :LMAO:
I guess I was the exception :lol: I have to admit I was skeptical. But after killing a few with TSS I can honestly say from experience they were just as dead as any I ever killed with lead.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Personally, I wish I could get into reloading TSS. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or money to get into it.
I agree with Gil and the reloaders. I like the idea of being able to not be held hostage by changes in my favorite shell, or that it will be discontinued. One load from a lot will shoot 200 in the 10 at 40, the next lot will shoot sub 200 by a large margin.
With TSS, I can still kill my bird at the same ranges I kill now which is still 20-30 yards. Difference is, all my shells will shoot with far superior consistency.
I am jealous. If I could, I would!
Last edited by chatterbox on March 13th, 2015, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

And if I ever run across some tin roofing that needs killing past 25 yards I'm getting me some more TSS. :mrgreen:
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

Definitely not a money or jealousy issue. I don't think we need to go there.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”