A little dissappointed in my 870 TSS results so far.

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble » May 19th, 2014, 6:18 pm

I know I have some more choke options to try, but these numbers seem low overall compared to what I've seen on this site. Could my gun just be a dud? I've shot several shells, 1 5/8 oz in the Big 20 Stubby XL. I started with the flush mount Remington Extra Full, then went to the Full (it seemed a little better, and I know about the analysis software at that point.

I bought an extended Remington Super Full, since it seems everyone has good results with it, and below is the pattern I got at 40 yards. Yeah, it will kill a turkey, but I really like tight patterns and overkill, like so many of the numbers you guys put up. Playing with the adjustments in the app, it seems like I should never take a shot over 40 yards. Yes, I'm picky, but these shells are expensive!

My brother has a Mossberg 870 bantam with a tight choke that came with it, and it shoots my shells MUCH better and he's just using the choke he happened to have. :?

Before I run out and buy every choke on the market trying to make this work, is it worth it?? If not, what are my options... do I sell the gun, swap barrels, or what else can I try?

Here's my analysis...

bigdoc

Re: A little dissappointed in my 870 TSS results so far.

Post by bigdoc » May 19th, 2014, 7:37 pm

IMO Rem. likes tighter chokes than other guns. I.C. 555 in my s.p. Rem. 20 is 344 in the 10.If you like tight there you go. Good luck.

gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble » May 19th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Thanks...

I got the time to hit the holes from my brother's gun's pattern and run it through.

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe » May 19th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Why are you shooting the stubby? I think best patterns are coming from Big20xl. Stubby may take different choking.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble » May 19th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Johndoe wrote:Why are you shooting the stubby? I think best patterns are coming from Big20xl. Stubby may take different choking.
I was able to get the components for the stubby easier than the XL...

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho » May 19th, 2014, 8:12 pm

:scratch:
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff

el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo » May 19th, 2014, 10:03 pm

gobblegobblegobble wrote:
Johndoe wrote:Why are you shooting the stubby? I think best patterns are coming from Big20xl. Stubby may take different choking.
If you need some the components to try the XL, let me know I may can help ya out. I like the 2 3/4" with the fed hull better.

N2deer

Post by N2deer » May 19th, 2014, 10:07 pm

I can't comment about this particular gun other than saying I would try the Indian creek.

If that didn't work I would try a different load, I have dealt with a gun that I couldn't get to pattern very well even with TSS . After exhausting a lot of money on chokes and shells I eventually sold the gun and my problems went away.

Just my opinon. Every gun I have fooled with with TSS has shot well other than that one gun. And I have shot it in about 6 different guns now. It shouldn't be difficult to get 250 or better with the 1 5/8 of 9s.

gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert » May 19th, 2014, 10:09 pm

both my rem 870's like the tighter choke....tightest pattern was from IC .555 and was a 65+ yard killer with the Big20XL...however the stubby was just as good a shooter. I currently shoot a 9x8 stubby mix with the IC .562

Sent from Tim's typewriter

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe » May 19th, 2014, 10:49 pm

el diablo wrote:
gobblegobblegobble wrote:
If you need some the components to try the XL, let me know I may can help ya out. I like the 2 3/4" with the fed hull better.
I bet it's the powder and not the other components.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Spurcollecta

Post by Spurcollecta » May 20th, 2014, 8:55 am

Don't feel bad. My 20ga 870 doesn't put up great numbers either

gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert » May 20th, 2014, 10:44 am

Did you count the actual holes? I've used that program before and it NEVER got it right. You may actually have more holes than you think. I do think you've got to go tighter than the factory full. I would look at something in the .570 range.

gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble » May 20th, 2014, 10:58 am

I didn't actually count them, but I went through the pattern systematically and made sure that the pellets were marked accurately. I also downloaded some photos of patterns with known counts on them last night and did the same thing, and the count was very close.

The patterns I've gotten so far were like this, and I first tried extra full, then full. Full was ok out to maybe 35 yards, but I didn't have any more time to check it as the season was here. I did some more reading and saw that the extended Rem. Super Full was giving awesome patterns, so I snagged one of those on Ebay. That's the pattern I have above. It's nowhere close to 200+.

I got one of my 2 birds this morning using my brother's gun, mine is OK to 40 yards which is about how far I want to shoot it anyways... I just want to do it with authority rather than having a couple pellets in the skull/vertebra.

I'm hoping for some better results out of this gun, I'm just wary of throwing more money at chokes... esp. when I'm looking at $70+ for ones like the IC .555 (I guess it's the Black Diamond?). I don't want to pick up 25-50 more pellets. I want to pick up around 200. :? That seems like a LOT of ground to make up.

Spurcollecta

Post by Spurcollecta » May 20th, 2014, 11:07 am

The Black Diamond .555" is what you want, however, you're not gonna pick up 200 more hits inside the 10" with it.

gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble » May 20th, 2014, 11:11 am

Spurcollecta wrote:The Black Diamond .555" is what you want, however, you're not gonna pick up 200 more hits inside the 10" with it.
I didn't think so. If it would do that, it would cost $200 or so. :D

I may have to see what a different load will do, maybe move to the 3". That will probably be my cheapest approach. I'll polish the barrel as well, but again I don't see that making a HUGE difference in count.

fountain

Post by fountain » May 20th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Are you shooting them or running a compute test thing like rob Roberts? I'm not familiar with it anyway. Go out and pull the trigger on some big paper and start counting. Best analysis you can get for real world results.
Also try a Sumtoy choke in a 562-570. My short bbl gun shot a 570 Sumtoy well with stubby load and Xl. Its not the gun, just gotta find it's mate. Ditch the computer stuff too

gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble » May 20th, 2014, 9:17 pm

fountain wrote:Are you shooting them or running a compute test thing like rob Roberts? I'm not familiar with it anyway. Go out and pull the trigger on some big paper and start counting. Best analysis you can get for real world results.
Also try a Sumtoy choke in a 562-570. My short bbl gun shot a 570 Sumtoy well with stubby load and Xl. Its not the gun, just gotta find it's mate. Ditch the computer stuff too
I am shooting paper. This software analyzes the entire pattern to find the core, rather than me eyeballing the pattern to guess where I think the core is. The densest 10" on the entire pattern is shown in my results. I've checked, the counts are accurate. I am shooting real shells at paper. That pattern you see above is a simplified photograph of my actual target. No simulations or computer-generated models here.

fountain

Post by fountain » May 21st, 2014, 4:12 pm

Simple choke change needs to be made. Now time for some trial and error. I have shot several. One I'm looking to try in my set up is the i.c. 555.

fountain

Post by fountain » May 21st, 2014, 4:13 pm

O, and for me, both loads are very similar as well. My gun likes a one shot dirty bbl as well

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS » May 21st, 2014, 4:49 pm

The old tried and true 3" 1 5/8 recipe with Fiocchi hulls was not broke and didn't need fixin' with the Stubby from my experience. With the unavailability of Fed primed hulls, unfired, there are plenty of the Fiocchi's available. If you have the components for the original load, it's worth a try. Gil

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe » May 21st, 2014, 4:59 pm

GLS wrote:The old tried and true 3" 1 5/8 recipe with Fiocchi hulls was not broke and didn't need fixin' with the Stubby from my experience. With the unavailability of Fed primed hulls, unfired, there are plenty of the Fiocchi's available. If you have the components for the original load, it's worth a try. Gil

I am pretty sure it's the LilGun issue. If you can get it then the other loads don't make sense.

What's up with that

gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble » May 21st, 2014, 5:00 pm

Lil Gun powder makes that much difference?

Gonna be tough to find some... maybe I can make some calls and have a local shop order some.

Jamey

Post by Jamey » May 21st, 2014, 5:30 pm

I shoot the short shell because the 3" when roll crimped is nearly impossible to insert into my Mossy Super Bantam. The shells work and will shoot fine but I can't get my thumb in behind them to push the shell into the mag tube due to the length of the roll crimped shell. A star crimped 3" fits easier but I don't do star crimps. Anyhow the pattern it shoots does not need any "improving" by going to the 3". 300+ holes is good enough for me.:)
ImageImage

killdee

Post by killdee » May 21st, 2014, 6:13 pm

So is lil gun hard to find? I still have a near full can but if its a tough find I guess I need to find a back up. I got a lot tighter 10" with the 3"-1-5/8 but I get a real even 10-20" with the big stubby XL shooting lil powder in it at a reduced rate of 27.5 I think. I got great patterns in my short 870 with the 570f choke from William.

GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER » May 21st, 2014, 6:31 pm

gobblegobblegobble wrote:Lil Gun powder makes that much difference?

Gonna be tough to find some... maybe I can make some calls and have a local shop order some.
yep powder makes a big difference, i know !!! :thumbup:

hope you get it worked out and let us know.
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”