mylar question

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
vball1

mylar question

Post by vball1 » May 4th, 2014, 11:57 am

Just reloaded my first two 20 ga stubby XL 2 tss shells. have not test fired them yet. As I was putting the mylar in the empty shotshell I noticed that it overlaps some. Does anyone think it would help to cut the mylar so the two ends meet perfectly without any overlap? Just thinking outloud...

Southern Sportsman

Re: mylar question

Post by Southern Sportsman » May 4th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Let it overlap. If it overlaps a lot (like with .410 loads) I will trim it some, but I always let it overlap a little.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe » May 4th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Empty hull or was?

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Southern Sportsman

Post by Southern Sportsman » May 4th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Empy hull or *wad? he means. There have been accounts recently of people placing the mylar around the wad (inside the hull) instead of inside the wad (around the shot itself). To be clear, the mylar goes inside the wad before the shot is poured in.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly

onegoodshot

Post by onegoodshot » May 4th, 2014, 12:58 pm

"mylar outside"
:oops: That would have been me. I'd never even heard about mylar before loading tss.
Just goes to emphasize that the only stupid questions are the ones that go unasked.

Mylar goes on the inside..... :thumbup:

Is everyone trimming the mylar for the 410??
I'm your huckleberry.

Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker » May 4th, 2014, 1:10 pm

onegoodshot wrote:
Is everyone trimming the mylar for the 410??
I didn't, but would also like to know if I should have.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.

Southern Sportsman

Post by Southern Sportsman » May 4th, 2014, 1:16 pm

You don't have to. I just did because there was a lot of overlap -- which doesn't hurt anything but I get a little OCD at times. It needs to be trimmed at the top so that it doesn't stick above the wad, but I've been told that overlapping inside the wad does not hurt anything. I've only been doing it for a year so take anything I say about the process with a grain of salt and then check with the real loaders.

Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker » May 4th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Southern Sportsman wrote:You don't have to. I just did because there was a lot of overlap -- which doesn't hurt anything but I get a little OCD at times. It needs to be trimmed at the top so that it doesn't stick above the wad, but I've been told that overlapping inside the wad does not hurt anything. I've only been doing it for a year so take anything I say about the process with a grain of salt and then check with the real loaders.
Well damn, now what excuse should I use as to why my .410 patterns ain't cuttin' it @ 40?

Southern Sportsman

Post by Southern Sportsman » May 4th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Waddle Whacker wrote: Well damn, now what excuse should I use as to why my .410 patterns ain't cuttin' it @ 40?
Easy. It's a .410. No further excuses necessary. Several people here have gotten legit 40 yard patterns out of .410s and it's impressive. Mine is a 30 yard gun even with TSS. One day I may buy a project .410 and do all the work necessary to really make it a 40 yard gun, but they wont all do it out of the box just because you run TSS through them.

Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker » May 4th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Southern Sportsman wrote:
Waddle Whacker wrote: Well damn, now what excuse should I use as to why my .410 patterns ain't cuttin' it @ 40?
Easy. It's a .410. No further excuses necessary. Several people here have gotten legit 40 yard patterns out of .410s and it's impressive. Mine is a 30 yard gun even with TSS. One day I may buy a project .410 and do all the work necessary to really make it a 40 yard gun, but they wont all do it out of the box just because you run TSS through them.
Yeah, I know. I was just hoping to get lucky with my O/U. No worries though, I've got 2 fixed full guns left to try, which seem to do better. If that doesn't work out, I'll see what William can come up with for my threaded barrel. Unless of course I ever run across the single shot Yildiz.

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

mylar question

Post by Reloader » May 4th, 2014, 9:45 pm

Some of my loads have two mylars with opposing laps. Just worry about length not lap.

killdee

Post by killdee » May 7th, 2014, 7:24 am

The Big stubby recipe I have from Hal calls for the vp90 wad and no mylar. Are yall using a different wad or recipe or just adding the wrap?
Thanks

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips » May 7th, 2014, 8:10 am

onegoodshot wrote: Is everyone trimming the mylar for the 410??
I cut a "mythin" sheet in half and use that for the .410....

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips » May 7th, 2014, 8:11 am

killdee wrote:The Big stubby recipe I have from Hal calls for the vp90 wad and no mylar. Are yall using a different wad or recipe or just adding the wrap?
Thanks
No mylar with that wad....

killdee

Post by killdee » May 7th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Hey HAl, I know you wouldn't steer me wrong, I was just curious what the others were doing using the wrap, I guess they are just using a different wad?

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe » May 7th, 2014, 9:11 pm

killdee wrote:Hey HAl, I know you wouldn't steer me wrong, I was just curious what the others were doing using the wrap, I guess they are just using a different wad?
Yes. Many are using load with the VP92 wad. It is thinner than the VP90 and needs Mylar.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

N2deer

Post by N2deer » May 9th, 2014, 11:50 pm

Reloader wrote:Some of my loads have two mylars with opposing laps. Just worry about length not lap.

Is this for protection only?

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

mylar question

Post by Reloader » May 10th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Yep, protection, component fit, and capacity reduction for dense shot in 12ga loads. In 20s I only use it in thin wads like the csd. I also use 28ga field cups in some 20 loads.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”