Fed Hulls

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Fed Hulls

Post by Johndoe » April 8th, 2014, 10:17 am

Yes, we still make the hulls to use at the plant for our shotshell ammunition. However when don't sell hulls as components for reloading. If you want to uses our hulls as a reloading component you are either going to have to purchase our live ammunition shoot it and save it or acquire once fired shells at a local range. We no longer offer primed or unprimed component hulls for reloading (discontinued), only pistol / rifle brass and primers.

This is an email I got from Federal this morning. Oh happy day. Not

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Fed Hulls

Post by Waddle Whacker » April 8th, 2014, 11:05 am

Bummer. That sucks.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro » April 8th, 2014, 11:15 am

Why they would take an in demand product away is confusing?

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader » April 8th, 2014, 2:22 pm

At least Fio makes good hulls.

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter » April 8th, 2014, 3:21 pm

Reloader wrote:At least Fio makes good hulls.
Yep, I gave up on the Feds 8 months ago, and went elsewhere!

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity » April 9th, 2014, 6:36 am

Ain't that just great. Fortunately, the only Fed hulls I am currently using are 2.75" once-fired GMs.

el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo » April 9th, 2014, 6:50 am

Bummer, no more Maroon Marauders. I am assuming this goes for their 20 gauge hulls also? I just ordered a bunch of the 2.75"ers

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips » April 9th, 2014, 8:42 am

If anybody's fold crimping, you can pick up once-fired 3" hulls from time to time....

turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer » April 9th, 2014, 8:50 am

I better order some more 20ga then

Southern Sportsman

Post by Southern Sportsman » April 9th, 2014, 8:51 am

This sucks. If you could find once fired 3.5" hulls think you could cut them down and roll crimp for 3" loads? Probably just be easier to swich loads though.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly

HartClemson99

Fed Hulls

Post by HartClemson99 » April 9th, 2014, 10:09 am

No bueno.

hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur » April 9th, 2014, 11:34 am

I sent a email to federal saying I had heard a rumor that they were no longer going to sell hulls and this is what came back

Anoka Prodserv(Anoka.Prodserv@ATK.COM

Steve: We do not and never have sold shotshell hulls, there are companies such as Ballistic Products that sells once fired Federal hulls. Thanks Federal -----We still make hulls every day for our loaded ammunition, these outside companies that sell the once fired hulls must purchase them from gun ranges and other sources.

I sent this back
I know you don't sell them but are you still going to make them for the companies that do sell them ? Sent from my iPhone
and called Ballistics and they told me that Federal is still processing their orders for hulls. BUT he didnt know WHEN they might have any.

Southern Sportsman

Post by Southern Sportsman » April 9th, 2014, 12:50 pm

I just called and stayed on the phone with Federal for about an hour. I eventually spoke to Chris Vugrincic, who is apparently second in command of sales. The people in customer service didn't really know what they were talking about. The Chris guy told me that the hulls are not discontinued, but because of supply, they are using all they have for their own products now. Also, they have a government contract to provide hulls to the military which is also limiting their excess supply. Apparently, they use them in some way for mortar rounds. When they have enough production, they sell them as OEM exclusively to BPI, who then sells them to Midway and to the public. BPI still has a huge order placed with Federal, and according to this Chris guy, BPI calls Federal regularly bitching about not being able to get them. I was told that the hulls are not discontinued, they are on active status, they just aren't sure when the supply with catch up to demand such that they will have enough to sell to BPI. But BPI is first in line. Obviously, the people at Federal are not on the same page since three of us have contacted them and gotten three different answers.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly

hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur » April 9th, 2014, 1:01 pm

That sounds like what BSI told me SS .

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe » April 9th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Southern Sportsman wrote:I just called and stayed on the phone with Federal for about an hour. I eventually spoke to Chris Vugrincic, who is apparently second in command of sales. The people in customer service didn't really know what they were talking about. The Chris guy told me that the hulls are not discontinued, but because of supply, they are using all they have for their own products now. Also, they have a government contract to provide hulls to the military which is also limiting their excess supply. Apparently, they use them in some way for mortar rounds. When they have enough production, they sell them as OEM exclusively to BPI, who then sells them to Midway and to the public. BPI still has a huge order placed with Federal, and according to this Chris guy, BPI calls Federal regularly bitching about not being able to get them. I was told that the hulls are not discontinued, they are on active status, they just aren't sure when the supply with catch up to demand such that they will have enough to sell to BPI. But BPI is first in line. Obviously, the people at Federal are not on the same page since three of us have contacted them and gotten three different answers.
After a phone conversation what is written above is what I have found also.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

killdee

Post by killdee » April 12th, 2014, 7:49 pm

BP has a few, get em while you can

redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow » April 12th, 2014, 8:00 pm

killdee wrote:BP has a few, get em while you can
Got the same e mail today .Went straight to BPI. Nope. No got .Sold out.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.

chris30br

Post by chris30br » April 12th, 2014, 9:12 pm

I just received 300 federal 20ga 2-3/4" primed hulls today. I'm set for life!

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”