New Rant

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 3493
Joined: June 22nd, 2012, 8:50 am
Location: Tallahassee Fl

New Rant

Post by Johndoe » April 4th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Ok this is my next piece of advice. Many are joining the TSS club. I say there is not a better shot or shell made. If you want to shoot it good choice.
Start now for next year. Hulls, powder, wads, felt, cork are all hard to come by. Why we can't get these components is odd but it is what it is. When you find what you need buy plenty. Never know when they will be out again. Make plans to go to gun shows. Talk to local shops about powder. Talk to forum members.
It's great stuff but to decide in Jan to shoot TSS in March is too little notice to get everything then load, then pattern, and then Zero in.

JD
Image

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

User avatar
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 5203
Joined: October 2nd, 2011, 8:26 am
Location: S E Michigan

Re: New Rant

Post by redarrow » April 4th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Excellent advise. Hopefully by this time next year I will have enough to share with those that didn't take your advise. :thumbup:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.

User avatar
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 4254
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 12:03 pm
Location: N.C. Montana

Re: New Rant

Post by Grumpy » April 5th, 2014, 8:42 am

I thought this was going to be a rant about your folks naming you John Doe :lol:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

User avatar
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 4606
Joined: September 1st, 2011, 9:07 pm
Location: BIG LICK VA.

Re: New Rant

Post by GOLD HUNTER » April 5th, 2014, 5:11 pm

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 2074
Joined: June 6th, 2012, 8:21 am

Re: New Rant

Post by pedro » April 5th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Sounds good to me.

User avatar
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 3493
Joined: June 22nd, 2012, 8:50 am
Location: Tallahassee Fl

Re: New Rant

Post by Johndoe » April 7th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Grumpy wrote:I thought this was going to be a rant about your folks naming you John Doe :lol:
No Grump. My friends named me that and my mom is now Granny Doe. :-)
Come to think of it she may be mad.
Image

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

User avatar
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 7443
Joined: June 27th, 2011, 1:01 pm

Re: New Rant

Post by Gobbler » April 7th, 2014, 4:07 pm

Your rants are good advise.

User avatar
01Foreman400
Posts: 414
Joined: March 4th, 2013, 3:33 pm

New Rant

Post by 01Foreman400 » April 13th, 2014, 2:14 pm

I'm in the process of starting to buy everything now. I've got everything ordered except the powder and a drill press. I'll be ready for next year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
HartClemson99
Posts: 519
Joined: June 9th, 2013, 8:52 pm
Location: Lowcountry of SC

New Rant

Post by HartClemson99 » April 13th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Good advice. I agree. I started last June and bought something new each paycheck.

It's not cheap to get started, but spread out over a few months makes it easier (at least on my blue collar budget).

User avatar
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 3522
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 6:50 pm
Location: Bumpass VA, moving to Fuget KY

Re: New Rant

Post by guesswho » April 13th, 2014, 7:14 pm

I'm going to start saving my money now and plan on buying me a TSS shell next February.

I know with my track record, reloading shells or anything related to explosives is not something I should pursue. But good advice for those wanting to get into it.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff

blunderbuss
Posts: 146
Joined: April 7th, 2013, 11:20 am

Re: New Rant

Post by blunderbuss » April 13th, 2014, 7:29 pm

01Foreman400 wrote:I'm in the process of starting to buy everything now. I've got everything ordered except the powder and a drill press. I'll be ready for next year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In light of current conditions maybe the powder should be the first thing you order if you want it by next year. :|

User avatar
01Foreman400
Posts: 414
Joined: March 4th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Re: New Rant

Post by 01Foreman400 » April 14th, 2014, 1:36 pm

blunderbuss wrote:
01Foreman400 wrote:I'm in the process of starting to buy everything now. I've got everything ordered except the powder and a drill press. I'll be ready for next year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In light of current conditions maybe the powder should be the first thing you order if you want it by next year. :|
Now just waiting until next month to buy a drill press. I bought enough components to last me 2 lifetimes. Well except for shot. Started with 5 pounds. I'll order another 5 in a couple of months when I get it figured out. I've never loaded any shotshells.

killdee
Posts: 50
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Re: New Rant

Post by killdee » April 14th, 2014, 6:45 pm

01Foreman400 wrote:
blunderbuss wrote:
01Foreman400 wrote:I'm in the process of starting to buy everything now. I've got everything ordered except the powder and a drill press. I'll be ready for next year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In light of current conditions maybe the powder should be the first thing you order if you want it by next year. :|
Now just waiting until next month to buy a drill press. I bought enough components to last me 2 lifetimes. Well except for shot. Started with 5 pounds. I'll order another 5 in a couple of months when I get it figured out. I've never loaded any shotshells.
Hey Bud, there was a cheap drill press on Craigs list Saturday for 25$ in Newnan.

User avatar
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 3493
Joined: June 22nd, 2012, 8:50 am
Location: Tallahassee Fl

Re: New Rant

Post by Johndoe » February 4th, 2015, 9:50 pm

BTT. Thought this was appropriate to bring back out.
Image

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

User avatar
01Foreman400
Posts: 414
Joined: March 4th, 2013, 3:33 pm

New Rant

Post by 01Foreman400 » February 5th, 2015, 6:40 am

I've got everything I need now. Got 2 pounds of 296 and 2 pounds of Lil Gun. 11 lbs of TSS. I've spent a lot of money to get started. I'll order 8 more lbs. of TSS soon. That should last me a while. :thumbup:

Only thing I need to do now is finish my loading station in the basement. Almost done with that though.

This isn't even all of it. Image

User avatar
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 2467
Joined: May 16th, 2012, 10:29 am
Location: Lowcountry, GA

Re: New Rant

Post by GLS » February 5th, 2015, 7:36 am

It doesn't hurt a thing to stockpile. Who'd have thought that Federal would stop selling it's primed hulls, unfired? Gil

User avatar
ole5beards
Posts: 710
Joined: September 23rd, 2012, 12:33 am
Location: Alabama

Re: New Rant

Post by ole5beards » February 5th, 2015, 9:52 am

Got a question on this, I'm no loader but just curious. I know on dove and sometimes duck loads that the hills can be used multiple times, does this work for Tss as well?
Pass the biscuits!!

User avatar
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 3725
Joined: July 7th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Re: New Rant

Post by hawglips » February 5th, 2015, 10:12 am

ole5beards wrote:Got a question on this, I'm no loader but just curious. I know on dove and sometimes duck loads that the hills can be used multiple times, does this work for Tss as well?
I always recommend new hulls for heavy loads. And for the most part you can't reload rolled hulls, unless you trim them. And you can't roll fold crimped hulls unless you trim them.

But I will reload Federals with heavy turkey loads. I avoid reloading the Cheddites, unless it's a light duck load or something like that. I've seen those come apart in the chamber the 2nd time around.

Others may have a different opinion.

pdqt
Posts: 182
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Re: New Rant

Post by pdqt » February 5th, 2015, 11:57 am

I reload them as I would lead or hevi shot, BUT I have only been shooting 1 1/4 oz. in the 20 ga. Thinking about going to a cylinder choke. will most likely go to a heavier load. Will see soon, testing to come, if the wind will calm down some.

drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1350
Joined: December 10th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Re: New Rant

Post by drenalinld » February 5th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Johndoe wrote:Ok this is my next piece of advice. Many are joining the TSS club. I say there is not a better shot or shell made. If you want to shoot it good choice.
Start now for next year. Hulls, powder, wads, felt, cork are all hard to come by. Why we can't get these components is odd but it is what it is. When you find what you need buy plenty. Never know when they will be out again. Make plans to go to gun shows. Talk to local shops about powder. Talk to forum members.
It's great stuff but to decide in Jan to shoot TSS in March is too little notice to get everything then load, then pattern, and then Zero in.

JD

I SHOULD HAVE READ THIS LAST SPRING!!!!

KPcalls
Posts: 786
Joined: January 21st, 2014, 10:22 am
Location: Livingston La,

Re: New Rant

Post by KPcalls » February 6th, 2015, 6:16 pm

I just finished ordering everything I need today...except powder. The only thing I do have going for me at this point in the game is that my bud Whacker lives not to far down the road and he's been gracious enough to help me out in my last minute plans.

870 Shooter
Posts: 127
Joined: January 23rd, 2015, 8:43 pm

Re: New Rant

Post by 870 Shooter » February 6th, 2015, 11:42 pm

For some reason I thought I might be included in this...But I'm ready to roll. Got hooked up with some powder today by Arkansas Dave and that was the last thing I needed. He's a hell of a good guy. Gave me a few tips to help me out too. I got plenty of time to get ready since Arkansas don't think it's logical to open season until the 4th of July.

User avatar
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 3493
Joined: June 22nd, 2012, 8:50 am
Location: Tallahassee Fl

Re: New Rant

Post by Johndoe » March 2nd, 2015, 11:39 am

BTT
Image

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

User avatar
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1450
Joined: April 19th, 2012, 9:14 am
Location: Middle TN
Contact:

Re: New Rant

Post by gophert » March 2nd, 2015, 1:25 pm

01Foreman400 wrote:I've got everything I need now. Got 2 pounds of 296 and 2 pounds of Lil Gun. 11 lbs of TSS. I've spent a lot of money to get started. I'll order 8 more lbs. of TSS soon. That should last me a while. :thumbup:

Only thing I need to do now is finish my loading station in the basement. Almost done with that though.

This isn't even all of it. Image
Now that's what I call.....going ALL in!!!!

User avatar
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 3493
Joined: June 22nd, 2012, 8:50 am
Location: Tallahassee Fl

Re: New Rant

Post by Johndoe » March 7th, 2015, 8:24 am

BTT
Image

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Post Reply

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests