pattern inconsistency

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
fountain

pattern inconsistency

Post by fountain » March 12th, 2014, 11:02 am

last season when I set up my 20" 870 I had it shooting good, roughly 300+/- in a 10 and a good 20. I shot it yesterday 3 times. the first shot was through a 3 time bore snaked bbl and was pitiful. puzzled, I swiped 3 times again and shot another crappy pattern. I was going to swap chokes to the rsf, but didn't because I just cant see how it shot good last season and like crap now. the last shot was through a 1 shot dirty bbl and looked better. it was on thin paper and folded and put in my pocket so it was hard to count when I got home...but still a sight from the 300s of before. those patterns barely broke 200. what happened? everything is the same. could I be doing something to the shells when loading? crimping too tight?
also noticed the 2 out of the clean/swiped bbl were a little right of center and they dirty shot was a tad low/left of center. anything I can try differently? if the weather somewhat acts better tomorrow im going to have to try again. I cant take this beating. im stumped here. hate to waste material but gotta get my gun shooting better than this
the gun is a 20 ga 870 with 20" bbl and 570 sumtoy choke with a ff2 shooting 1 5/8 tss 9

Jourdan_D

Re: pattern inconsistency

Post by Jourdan_D » March 12th, 2014, 11:29 am

mine did that this year. thought i meesed up the load somehow. was shooitng 332 last year then my first load this year was 202.......... Ended up really cleaning my barrel again and shooting it again (after 2 fouling load) and it was back where it is suppose to be. I cleaned my barrel the week befroe and I'm guessing oil got in my barrel from putting to much on my choke threads..

fountain

Post by fountain » March 12th, 2014, 6:23 pm

Yep..this blows my mind now. I'm torn on deep cleaning or leave it as is. Not sure what to do. I haven't changed anything. Same shot and same load. Haven't bought any new shot..all same shot I shot last spring. Don't know what to do! I can't fathom losing 100+/- pellets on target and a floating zero. For some reason the zero is floating too. If these winds will ease off tomorrow, I'm gonna have to try again. Hates to waste parts, but need to re-learn my gun I guess. Don't think a choke change would help any, but I do have a few others I could try.

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe » March 12th, 2014, 6:45 pm

Some guys did say their FFII would wander. Think that's it? The FFIII don't seem to.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

fountain

Post by fountain » March 12th, 2014, 7:18 pm

May be a different problem. I shot a good size pc of card board to show the whole pattern. I'm gonna figure this dam thing out..it ain't gonna whoop me. Gonna reload what I shot yesterday and get ready. Still undecided on how..or if...I want to clean the bbl

crenshawco

Post by crenshawco » March 12th, 2014, 7:19 pm

I'm going through the same deal right now. I deep cleaned mine and polished the barrel last night and it was extremely dirty. I'm going to try to shoot it again tomorrow and see if I get back to where I was before. That's the only thing I know that could have changed

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips » March 13th, 2014, 8:36 am

Unless it's being loaded drastically differently, or not crimped well, the first place I'd suspect is the choke....

crenshawco

Post by crenshawco » March 13th, 2014, 10:16 am

hawglips wrote:Unless it's being loaded drastically differently, or not crimped well, the first place I'd suspect is the choke....
Interesting. I haven't really inspected it too well but I will give it a look. You think the choke may have failed or cracked or something?

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips » March 13th, 2014, 1:18 pm

crenshawco wrote:
hawglips wrote:Unless it's being loaded drastically differently, or not crimped well, the first place I'd suspect is the choke....
Interesting. I haven't really inspected it too well but I will give it a look. You think the choke may have failed or cracked or something?
No, not that I'd suspect anything to be wrong, but just a suspicion that it's just the wrong choke.

fountain

Post by fountain » March 13th, 2014, 4:33 pm

Well I broke down and have it a good deep cleaning and have a good shiny bbl..not super polished, but pretty dang shiny. We shall see here in a few. It shot great last season. Can't see why it wouldn't now.

How many shots before a good deep cleaned/polished bbl will need it again? I'm gonna waste some hulls this evening and see what it likes...hopefully

fountain

Post by fountain » March 13th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Well shot 5 loads today..3 out of a clean bbl with a Sumtoy 570 ( swabbed 3 times with snake, then denatures alcohol and one dry), 1 shot dirty and one clean out of a rsf

2 in the 280s
1 270s
First shot was 257
Dirty bbl was 329

Maybe that will work for now. May test a few more later on..gotta thstdirty bbl thing again.

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips » March 14th, 2014, 8:13 am

fountain wrote:Well shot 5 loads today..3 out of a clean bbl with a Sumtoy 570 ( swabbed 3 times with snake, then denatures alcohol and one dry), 1 shot dirty and one clean out of a rsf

2 in the 280s
1 270s
First shot was 257
Dirty bbl was 329

Maybe that will work for now. May test a few more later on..gotta thstdirty bbl thing again.
I had a guy tell me that his gun gets about 100 more in the 10" after he shoot a dove shell through it first to get it a little dirty.

fountain

Post by fountain » March 14th, 2014, 10:24 am

Gonna look into that next week. Not sure how to get a consistent test tho, unless I shoot a dove load then shoot TSS, swab/alcohol good then repeat. I want to know whatit will do cconsistently like that. May do a 3 shot test with a one shot dirty bbl

killdee

Post by killdee » March 16th, 2014, 10:10 am

My rig, same gun sight and choke but William called mine a 570F shot crazy numbers in the 10 380s and for a while after I first got it back, this was through a fresh polished barrel and the 3" 1-5/8 #9 load. I havent shot this year but last year during and after season my counts seemed to drop and were in the 280s in the 10 but I also started counting the 20 and was getting similar counts in the 20 so I felt like that was good.I ran out of shot and havent had time to shoot through this past fall.I am about to change over to the 2-3/4 Big Stubby 20 load so I need to shoot a couple this week prior to this Saturdays opening.

Just curious what do most folks do for the hunt, shoot a dirty barrel or alcohol swab, I guess I will do a swab before I shoot a dove load then if the pattern looks good go dirty.

I bought shot 2-3 times during this period so some changes may have been slight differences in shot size Hal talked about

fountain

Post by fountain » March 16th, 2014, 12:53 pm

I'm gonna take mine apart and clean it all good..mainly because I was doing some crawling in wet grass this weekend and I'm only going to bore snake 3 time then hit it with denatured alcohol before I dirty it with a dove load. I too some green scoth brite/steel wool on a brush and cleaned a while the other night. May hit it again with steel wool and WD 40 for a bit....but gonna get a good cleaning then dirty it and rrpat that 3 times to see if I get a good, accurate test. It may be that my gun likes it dirty. We shall see. Time to break out the loafing stuff and pellet trap and go at it

fountain

Post by fountain » March 16th, 2014, 12:55 pm

BTW..I'd guess he called it a 570f because of the 5 stops for the federal load choke. That's what I have too. What is the stubby load?
Give your choke a quick cleaning to clean the internals as well

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES » March 16th, 2014, 1:49 pm

killdee wrote:My rig, same gun sight and choke but William called mine a 570F shot crazy numbers in the 10 380s and for a while after I first got it back, this was through a fresh polished barrel and the 3" 1-5/8 #9 load. I havent shot this year but last year during and after season my counts seemed to drop and were in the 280s in the 10 but I also started counting the 20 and was getting similar counts in the 20 so I felt like that was good.I ran out of shot and havent had time to shoot through this past fall.I am about to change over to the 2-3/4 Big Stubby 20 load so I need to shoot a couple this week prior to this Saturdays opening.

Just curious what do most folks do for the hunt, shoot a dirty barrel or alcohol swab, I guess I will do a swab before I shoot a dove load then if the pattern looks good go dirty.

I bought shot 2-3 times during this period so some changes may have been slight differences in shot size Hal talked about
Wad catchers possibly?
Hooks Custom Calls Pro-Staff

fountain

Post by fountain » March 16th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Apparently it liked a good fresh set up. I would at least deep clean and clean the choke good and put a round or two on paper

killdee

Post by killdee » March 16th, 2014, 4:19 pm

fountain wrote:BTW..I'd guess he called it a 570f because of the 5 stops for the federal load choke. That's what I have too. What is the stubby load?
Give your choke a quick cleaning to clean the internals as well
Stubby is a recipe from Hal for the 1-5/8th in a 2-3/4.

Mailman

Post by Mailman » March 19th, 2014, 7:36 am

Weather conditions can effect performance also. Was it warmer out when you shot last year? Patterns are usually tighter when it's hot out.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”