Pattern question

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
killdee

Pattern question

Post by killdee » March 2nd, 2014, 9:07 am

Do you guy swab out the barrel with alcohol or a dry swab between shots? I often see better patterns from a dirty barrel and wondered what most folks do to be consistent.
Also how long does a barrel polish last? Is 1 time enough, every few years or number of shells?

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Pattern question

Post by ICDEDTURKES » March 2nd, 2014, 9:14 am

I do when comparing loads and shells as I want one variable eliminated.. Most guns I have shot prefer clean but I had one 20 barrel last year that soared after the first shot with HW 7s and hung there for another shot or 2 and they degraded.
Hooks Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Pattern question

Post by Reloader » March 2nd, 2014, 11:06 am

To keep every shell on an even playing field while testing, I pull a bore snake thru about 3-4 times between shots. I might test a fouled pattern with the best performing load. It's hard to determine the best loads without similar bbl conditions for each shot. I'll even pull the snake thru after killing a tom many times.

GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER » March 2nd, 2014, 2:54 pm

well at the range testing new loads I shoot 3 and clean the choke

brian
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS » March 3rd, 2014, 6:26 am

I installed guards on my fflll's on my .410 Yildiz and Baikal 20 single shots yesterday. Before removal of sights, I indexed both guns with light loads at 15 yards, installed guards, shot again at 15, adjusted poi, shot at 40 with TSS, adjusted and shot a confirmation round in each. I forgot my bore snakes, so no cleaning after shots. .410 shot within average, but the 20 had on the one shot that I counted, the last one, 306 in the 10 at 40, 1 5/8 oz. 9's which was a best in this gun.

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity » March 3rd, 2014, 7:52 am

I thoroughly clean between shots when patterning, so that each shot is through a clean barrel. I always go hunting with a clean barrel as well.

ads1

Post by ads1 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:20 am

I clean the barrel after every shot.

drum817

Post by drum817 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:40 am

I just use a bore snake between shots.
FREEDOM AIN'T FREE !!!

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES » March 3rd, 2014, 9:42 am

For the bore snake guys I picked one up a few years ago to simplify things and have not been impressed.. Even with multiple passes it seems to make my bore "streaky".. Anyone else see this.
Hooks Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader » March 3rd, 2014, 10:42 am

ICDEDTURKES wrote:For the bore snake guys I picked one up a few years ago to simplify things and have not been impressed.. Even with multiple passes it seems to make my bore "streaky".. Anyone else see this.
In my polished bbls they actually remove most all fouling after about 3 passes, but I'm running the 10ga snake in my 12s. My 20ga snake is hard as heck to pull through and it seems to get those clean as well. The first two passes bring out alot of plastic, the 3rd usually slides through much easier. After pulling the snake, the only fouling I can see is a small amount in the choke.

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity » March 3rd, 2014, 10:54 am

ICDEDTURKES wrote:For the bore snake guys I picked one up a few years ago to simplify things and have not been impressed.. Even with multiple passes it seems to make my bore "streaky".. Anyone else see this.
Yes, I usually bore snake before I clean to get out most of the crud, and I do see streaks. I experimented and my TSS patterns were not as good when only bore snaked vs bore snaked and brushed clean with Shooter's Choice and dryed.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”