TSS loading Pictorial part 5

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Jamey

Post by Jamey » January 22nd, 2014, 10:57 am

Now all that is left to do is crimp the shell. This is done by spinning the roll crimp bit on the end of the shell and the friction causes enough heat to soften the plastic and then as you apply slight pressure it rolls the plastic over onto the overshot card sealing the end.

In this step the shell must be held secure from spinning and that is done by placing the shell in the shell vise and holding it tight.
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
Here is the final result. This process takes only a couple of minutes per shell and my whole season of shells takes me less than 30 minutes to load.
21.jpg
Hope this helps!

Note: I did not develop any of my own loads. This post was to show the techniques only and not specific loads.

I purchase my TSS shot from Hal (hawglips) and he supplies me with recipes as I need them including lists of all the exact components I will need to purchase as well as velocity and chamber pressure results. He sends samples of all of his shells for pressure and velocity testing and I trust his recipes to be effective and safe. I do not give out his recipes.

Contact Hal here on the forum via pm for details.

Last, but not least is an example of why I load my own.
This is from my Mossberg Super Bantam 20ga shooting a 2-3/4", 1-7/16oz load of TSS 9's at 40 yds...Nuff said.
turktarget.jpg
Jamey
ImageImage

redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: TSS loading Pictorial part 5

Post by redarrow » January 22nd, 2014, 11:19 am

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial. It helps a bunch. I know some of the guys use a seal over the powder and felt under or over the shot and i still need to figure out that process but at least I have the basics figured out now. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » January 22nd, 2014, 2:18 pm

You did a great job! I'm gonna just refer people to your thread the next anyone asks me about it.

Only difference in the way I do the rolled loads is that I've never had a problem just holding the hull with my hand when rolling it. Maybe my drill press is set on a lower speed than yours? Anyway, I've gotten by fine without a vise. I even rolled 14 boxes of dove loads this way the past summer.

Thanks again for taking the time to post!

GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER » January 22nd, 2014, 4:51 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Jamey

Post by Jamey » January 22nd, 2014, 8:01 pm

poorcountrypreacher wrote:You did a great job! I'm gonna just refer people to your thread the next anyone asks me about it.

Only difference in the way I do the rolled loads is that I've never had a problem just holding the hull with my hand when rolling it. Maybe my drill press is set on a lower speed than yours? Anyway, I've gotten by fine without a vise. I even rolled 14 boxes of dove loads this way the past summer.

Thanks again for taking the time to post!
I've rolled them that way too but I find it is tough on my fingers. The other advantage of the vise clamped down on the drill press is that the shell is always perfectly lined up with the bit so I don't bend any edges by accident.
ImageImage

HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 » January 23rd, 2014, 11:46 am

Great job! I wish you would have posted this 6 months ago when I was starting. This should help all the new guys (like I was) who are clueless to the wonderful world of handloading TSS.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble » January 27th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Nicely done.

Haven't been here for awhile, but it was nice to see someone post up pics of the loading process. I've been doing this for a couple years now with help from other members here and I'll 2nd or 3rd or whatever using a vibrating back massager to vibrate the buffer into the shot. Reloader gave me that suggestion and it works very well. Before that, I also used my brass case tumbler like another member suggested. That method is super fast!! Maybe too fast if you use too much pressure. I placed a towel over the lid first and that helped.

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips » March 19th, 2014, 7:53 am

ttt

Mailman

Post by Mailman » March 20th, 2014, 7:47 am

I use a dental vibrator. I turned a piece of walnut that fits on top. It holds the shell and has ledge in case I spill a little buffer. And I ALWAYS use Mylar with TSS

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS » November 20th, 2014, 8:22 pm

ttt

crenshawco

Post by crenshawco » November 21st, 2014, 3:51 pm

Nice tutorial. Thanks :thumbup:

divotman8

Post by divotman8 » January 29th, 2015, 7:08 pm

do you think loading tss is worth it when hevi shot has hevi 13 in 7 and of course mag blend I load everything else ? curious

Jamey

Post by Jamey » January 29th, 2015, 8:52 pm

divotman8 wrote:do you think loading tss is worth it when hevi shot has hevi 13 in 7 and of course mag blend I load everything else ? curious
Yes. I won't shoot or buy anything EM makes but in addition to that the differences between these materials are huge. 12 g/cc compared to 18 g/cc means the smaller and heavier TSS 9 pellets pack way more punch than the hs7 and there can be a bunch more of them in the shell OR you can choose as I do and shoot a smaller ga load instead.

Aslo, loading my own makes the hunt more fun to me just like tying my own flies and building my own rods and turning my own trumpet calls...there is a greater sense of satisfaction in the end.
ImageImage

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe » February 5th, 2015, 12:08 pm

divotman8 wrote:do you think loading tss is worth it when hevi shot has hevi 13 in 7 and of course mag blend I load everything else ? curious
Yes. Hevi changes components often which can lead to the need to repattern and maybe buy new choke. Then when called on it they lie. Load your own and that issue goes away.
A one time investment of say $100 will serve you for years and loads after that will be equal to the cost of Hevi and Fed HW. Patterns will be better with TSS and energy and penetration will also be better.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”