TSS loading Pictorial part 4

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Jamey

TSS loading Pictorial part 4

Post by Jamey » January 22nd, 2014, 10:53 am

Some shells also call for buffer so this is weighed and goes in on top of the shot.

Then I put my thumb over the end of the shell and gently shake it until the shot and buffer is mixed together.

Last to go into the shell is the overshot card and before I load that I mark it with the load details. You can also star-crimp the load but that requires a shell press which is rather expensive and I don't believe the final result is as good as the roll crimp anyway.
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
Next step viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6953
ImageImage

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: TSS loading Pictorial part 4

Post by Reloader » January 22nd, 2014, 4:08 pm

Nice steps.

My only advice to speed up your process a bit is to vibrate the buffer as it goes in so much faster. I use a small hand held back massager that runs off AA bateries. Just set the base of the hull on and it's mixed evenly in mere seconds. Stop vibrating as soon as you see 10 or so pellets surface. Of course, it doesn't appear you are using much buffer, so it may not be needed. Just an idea if you want to get away from shaking the hulls. When using mylar or other components, shaking is a bad idea.

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe » January 22nd, 2014, 4:21 pm

I would also avoid shaking with Mylar and such. Gets between components and doesn't do the job it should. Also place Mylar in before felts to keep it tight to the wall of the wad.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER » January 22nd, 2014, 4:52 pm

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Jamey

Post by Jamey » January 22nd, 2014, 8:03 pm

Reloader wrote:Nice steps.

My only advice to speed up your process a bit is to vibrate the buffer as it goes in so much faster. I use a small hand held back massager that runs off AA bateries. Just set the base of the hull on and it's mixed evenly in mere seconds. Stop vibrating as soon as you see 10 or so pellets surface. Of course, it doesn't appear you are using much buffer, so it may not be needed. Just an idea if you want to get away from shaking the hulls. When using mylar or other components, shaking is a bad idea.

Good point. This particular load didn't use mylar but the massager sounds like a better idea than my shaking.
ImageImage

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe » January 22nd, 2014, 9:16 pm

12ga TSS load in red hull with no Mylar? What wad you use that needs no Mylar?

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter » January 22nd, 2014, 10:13 pm

Not sure if you have a rifle brass tumbler, but it works about as good as it gets.
Just leave the lid on and let the base of the hull touch the lid of the tumbler as you pour the buffer in.
By the time you pour it in, your buffer is completely shaken through, and your shot has been settled.
Heck, I even settle my shot in field loads now, without buffer.
It eliminates the shot from settling later and getting loose, and the crimp caving in.
Also stops bloopers from happening from the powder getting loose later.

Jamey

Post by Jamey » January 23rd, 2014, 8:35 am

Johndoe wrote:12ga TSS load in red hull with no Mylar? What wad you use that needs no Mylar?

Oops, you are correct and my memory was not. Had to go back and dig out that recipe to double check as I don't shoot a 12 and have only loaded a few of those for my son. I have only shot a 20 for several years now even before I started loading TSS...used the Fed HW before that. My load of choice has been the 2-3/4", 1-7/16oz from Hal.

Going to start out this season with my 410 o/u. Just got some 9.5 (416/oz) from Hal and loaded up 10 rounds this week and shot the first 3 yesterday even though windy and cold. Only shot it to check POA/POI between the two barrels and not for pellet count but looked impressive.
ImageImage

gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert » January 23rd, 2014, 8:55 am

To settle that buffer, I just hold my finger over the hull, put on some good up beat music, and let the dancing begin. It's a sight, but really works. :bootyshake:

pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit » January 24th, 2014, 8:18 am

Shooter wrote:Not sure if you have a rifle brass tumbler, but it works about as good as it gets.
Just leave the lid on and let the base of the hull touch the lid of the tumbler as you pour the buffer in.
By the time you pour it in, your buffer is completely shaken through, and your shot has been settled.
Heck, I even settle my shot in field loads now, without buffer.
It eliminates the shot from settling later and getting loose, and the crimp caving in.
Also stops bloopers from happening from the powder getting loose later.
I put my thumb between the case tumbler and the shell. I can push down harder if I want to go faster or back the presure off if I am wanting to go slower, works great.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips » March 19th, 2014, 7:53 am

ttt

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity » March 19th, 2014, 8:19 am

gophert wrote:To settle that buffer, I just hold my finger over the hull, put on some good up beat music, and let the dancing begin. It's a sight, but really works. :bootyshake:
Tim, we've got to have a video.

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS » November 20th, 2014, 8:23 pm

ttt

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”