TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Post Reply
User avatar
tubecaller10
Posts: 309
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Location: Mississippi

TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by tubecaller10 » May 23rd, 2013, 5:31 pm

This is a Remington 870 21" barrel with a IC .555 choke.
374 10" circle.
Hal you are the man!!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (162.54 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Image

User avatar
hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 4584
Joined: August 15th, 2011, 9:15 pm
Location: Argos Indiana

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by hoobilly » May 23rd, 2013, 5:42 pm

HoLySmOkEs!

thats outrageousness! :thumbup:

User avatar
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 2367
Joined: April 23rd, 2012, 9:12 pm
Location: Western North Carolina

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by Spuriosity » May 23rd, 2013, 6:27 pm

That's laying them in there for sure.

User avatar
HuntSource
Posts: 117
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 12:42 pm
Location: College Grove, TN

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by HuntSource » May 23rd, 2013, 6:39 pm

That's super tight for 1.625oz. In fact, it's about 100 more in the 10" than I'd prefer with that load.

What was the temp and RH? The 1.75 load I'm running in my Vincis recently put 366 and 372 in the 10" on a day with temps in the low 80s and with the RH around 60%. In typical turkey weather, it'll do a touch over 300 and is around 290 if it's really cool.

If it was hot and humid, it'll likely open a bit in early spring conditions. That wouldn't be a bad thing considering the pellet count in that load.

User avatar
tubecaller10
Posts: 309
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by tubecaller10 » May 23rd, 2013, 7:19 pm

HuntSource wrote:That's super tight for 1.625oz. In fact, it's about 100 more in the 10" than I'd prefer with that load.

What was the temp and RH? The 1.75 load I'm running in my Vincis recently put 366 and 372 in the 10" on a day with temps in the low 80s and with the RH around 60%. In typical turkey weather, it'll do a touch over 300 and is around 290 if it's really cool.

If it was hot and humid, it'll likely open a bit in early spring conditions. That wouldn't be a bad thing considering the pellet count in that load.
Yes it was 85 degrees and humid. I was actually shocked when I counted it all up. I was looking for 300+ and I was going to be satisfied.
Image

User avatar
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1450
Joined: April 19th, 2012, 9:14 am
Location: Middle TN
Contact:

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by gophert » May 23rd, 2013, 7:36 pm

That is within 6 pellets of my pattern with that exact setup and load. Those Indian Creek chokes can shoot the most consistent TSS patterns. That IC and the Big20XL is a marriage made in turkey heaven.

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 2074
Joined: June 6th, 2012, 8:21 am

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by pedro » May 23rd, 2013, 8:21 pm

:thumbright: :thumbleft: that's one dense core!

User avatar
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 4606
Joined: September 1st, 2011, 9:07 pm
Location: BIG LICK VA.

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by GOLD HUNTER » May 23rd, 2013, 8:34 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

User avatar
tubecaller10
Posts: 309
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by tubecaller10 » May 23rd, 2013, 8:57 pm

I am very new to the 20 gauge scene and that was my first pattern I shot out that gun.. What velocity do you guys think my gun is throwing that loadl? it is a 21 inch barrel so just curious on how fast it is actually going... Load data says its 1093 fps.
Image

User avatar
crenshawco
Posts: 582
Joined: May 10th, 2013, 11:28 am
Location: Alabama

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by crenshawco » May 23rd, 2013, 9:04 pm

That's a ridiculous pattern. I am getting close to testing my first loads out of my 870 compact but haven't finished loading yet. I don't think I could hunt with that pattern but you could get after some field birds with that

User avatar
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 3493
Joined: June 22nd, 2012, 8:50 am
Location: Tallahassee Fl

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by Johndoe » May 23rd, 2013, 9:18 pm

TC
Those are very hi numbers but too high. Your 20" will be too thin. Try a cheap 575 or 585 Trulock, or Carlson, or Rem Super Full. 10" should still be above 250 and the 20" will also.
My guess is the 20" circle is spotty and has a few gaps in it. Its call being overchoked. I can see a gap upper left outside your circle.
John
PS What part Ms?
Image

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

User avatar
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1108
Joined: June 27th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by el diablo » May 23rd, 2013, 9:22 pm

tubecaller10 wrote:I am very new to the 20 gauge scene and that was my first pattern I shot out that gun.. What velocity do you guys think my gun is throwing that loadl? it is a 21 inch barrel so just curious on how fast it is actually going... Load data says its 1093 fps.
That's a nasty pattern! I would think you are still around 1050ish fps, which will give you plenty of oomph. What does your twenty inch ring numbers like? If it is spotty, you probably want to listen JohnDoe and go .575 ish choke. I shoot a similar load and use the IC .562.

User avatar
tubecaller10
Posts: 309
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by tubecaller10 » May 23rd, 2013, 9:26 pm

Johndoe wrote:TC
Those are very hi numbers but too high. Your 20" will be too thin. Try a cheap 575 or 585 Trulock, or Carlson, or Rem Super Full. 10" should still be above 250 and the 20" will also.
My guess is the 20" circle is spotty and has a few gaps in it. Its call being overchoked. I can see a gap upper left outside your circle.
John
PS What part Ms?
Northeast Mississippi. I actually like the tight pattern... I have a Bushnell TRS-25 mounted on top and feel like at a little farther distance it will help as well... But that is just my personal preference :thumbup:
Image

User avatar
tubecaller10
Posts: 309
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by tubecaller10 » May 23rd, 2013, 9:28 pm

That's a nasty pattern! I would think you are still around 1050ish fps, which will give you plenty of oomph. What does your twenty inch ring numbers like? If it is spotty, you probably want to listen JohnDoe and go .575 ish choke. I shoot a similar load and use the IC .562.[/quote]

I actually called and ordered the .562 and they sent me a inv. plus 562... so i had to sent them the choke back and all they had made at the time was .555.
Image

User avatar
HuntSource
Posts: 117
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 12:42 pm
Location: College Grove, TN

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by HuntSource » May 23rd, 2013, 10:20 pm

tubecaller10 wrote:I actually called and ordered the .562 and they sent me a inv. plus 562... so i had to sent them the choke back and all they had made at the time was .555.
I'll bet you'll like the results even better with a .562". While you'll give a up a few in the 10" in all likelihood, you'll get a wider and more even pattern in return.

The patterns I'm getting with an ICC .665" from 12ga Vincis have an effective width of 15"+ all the way to 60yd. Plus, the load and choke combination isn't intolerably tight at 30yd. Even so, I'm having ICC make me a .670" and a .675" is on its way for testing. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to drop down into the 270s in the 10" if I can thicken the 15" and 20" rings.

User avatar
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1450
Joined: April 19th, 2012, 9:14 am
Location: Middle TN
Contact:

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by gophert » May 23rd, 2013, 10:47 pm

Here's the exact set-up with the IC .562 and is what I hunt with now.

Image

User avatar
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 2367
Joined: April 23rd, 2012, 9:12 pm
Location: Western North Carolina

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by Spuriosity » May 24th, 2013, 6:36 am

Beautiful pattern but too tight for my tastes as well. The 1.625 oz load I shoot in my Beretta UL does 250/250. Nice even 10 and 20, and plenty in the core to get out to 60. Doesn't matter what kind of sight you have on the gun, it is easy to miss a turkey with an overtight TSS pattern. Don't ask me how I know. ;)

User avatar
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 3493
Joined: June 22nd, 2012, 8:50 am
Location: Tallahassee Fl

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by Johndoe » May 24th, 2013, 10:15 am

The key is 10" circle has 78sq in and the 20" circle has 314 minus the 78 so 236sq in. With the bobbing head of a gobbler you will want a very even 20 along with big numbers in the 10. I have with the Trulock 585 a 260/275 pattern that fit that bill. I think I set up 5 870 20ga guns last year so just adding my experience.
Was that you waving when I went by in hway 82 on tuesday.
Just kidding. I grew up in Starkville and passed thru Columbus while visiting mom.
Will be back thru weekend of June 8

John
Image

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

User avatar
tubecaller10
Posts: 309
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by tubecaller10 » May 24th, 2013, 10:41 am

Johndoe wrote:The key is 10" circle has 78sq in and the 20" circle has 314 minus the 78 so 236sq in. With the bobbing head of a gobbler you will want a very even 20 along with big numbers in the 10. I have with the Trulock 585 a 260/275 pattern that fit that bill. I think I set up 5 870 20ga guns last year so just adding my experience.
Was that you waving when I went by in hway 82 on tuesday.
Just kidding. I grew up in Starkville and passed thru Columbus while visiting mom.
Will be back thru weekend of June 8

John
Awesome I've lived in Columbus pretty much my whole life! And that makes a Ton of sense... I'm probably going to send back this choke and exchange it for a .562 IC. That should fill out my 20" and still have a solid core. Thanks for all the help guys! :thumbup:
Image

User avatar
poorcountrypreacher
Posts: 542
Joined: July 10th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Re: TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by poorcountrypreacher » May 24th, 2013, 11:01 am

Spuriosity wrote:Beautiful pattern but too tight for my tastes as well. The 1.625 oz load I shoot in my Beretta UL does 250/250. Nice even 10 and 20, and plenty in the core to get out to 60. Doesn't matter what kind of sight you have on the gun, it is easy to miss a turkey with an overtight TSS pattern. Don't ask me how I know. ;)
Gotta agree with Spuriosity, at least on the kind of hunting I do. In my sxs Yildiz, I can't even get a consistent 250 out of the tight barrel, but its got plenty of pattern to kill one beyond 50, and I keep finding myself unable to pull the trigger on one beyond 50 anyay. And at 40 I've got a very wide kill pattern and all I gotta do is get that FF dot pretty close to his head or neck and he is going down.

The open barrel has a huge kill pattern at 25 yds and still held 102 pellets in the 10" at 40. That's just what I was looking for with it.

Those super tight patterns will kill one a long way, but better aim well. :)

Good luck with it, and thanks for posting!

User avatar
BrentM
Posts: 140
Joined: July 16th, 2012, 11:02 pm
Location: Jackson County, Alabama

TSS #9 1 5/8 oz 20 gauge pattern

Post by BrentM » May 24th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Yeah I'd rather have as much in the 20" ring as I have in the10".
I was trying for 250/250 with my 870 and started out with a $19 Carlson's choke and got 270/230 so I just called it good.

Post Reply

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests