penetration tests

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: penetration tests

Post by hawglips » February 13th, 2014, 11:59 am

aristico wrote:I didn't explain myself correctly....would the old white hull loads be 13cc?

Why did they go down in weight?
The old white should be 13g/cc.

My guess is that they went down in density so they could save money. They played around with the density in a lot of their stuff for a while there.

aristico

Post by aristico » February 13th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Whats the point of saving money when you double your prices? Corporate greed I guess...more power to them....I have like three boxes of the old white hull might need to dust those off this season

bullethead

Post by bullethead » April 14th, 2015, 1:10 pm

Unfortunately the hard drive where I had these pics stored has crashed and I do not have them to post anymore.

To clarify we shot Hevi #7.5 against Lead #5 at 30 yards into store bought turkey carcasses. We had to settle at 30yds because we could not keep enough #5 Lead pellets on target at 40yds to do an accurate comparison. We only measured the distances of the two pellet types that went through the same areas of the carcasses. No sense trying to compare hits that went through bone and 5" of meat and pellets that missed bone and went through 2" of meat. We tried to keep it a consistent as possible.
Anyway. At 30yds it was easier to get enough hits on target to accurately compare. The #7.5 Hevi easily penetrated farther into and some through the width of a 12lb-14lb turkey carcass than the #5 Lead did. The handloads were chronographed to have the pellets going at the same velocities.

I then took a cardboard tube that us used for pouring concrete and cut slits into it so it would hold 5"x7" aluminum flashing rectangles that are .010" thick. I slid them in behind each other with 2" of space between them for a total of 11 sheets front to back.
The distance was a laser ranged 40yds. The two loads were Tungsten #9 and Lead #5. Both 2oz loads at similar velocity.
The #5 Lead pellets had complete penetration through 5 rectangles with some going through the 6th but not penetrating the 7th with most of the pellets that hit the 6th leaving dents.
The #9 Tungsten had pellets complete penetration through 9 rectangles with some penetrating the 10th and denting the 11th rectangle. Most of the pellets left dents into the 10th but a few did pass through into the 11th.

With no way secure the rectangles in the tube the #9 Tungsten loads blew all of the rectangles out of the back of the tube and onto the ground.
The #5 Lead blew the first 6 rectangles into the 7th and all were laying inside the tube.

It was very informal. Very fun. And gave me all the info I needed.
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.

gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble » April 19th, 2015, 6:29 pm

This goes without saying, but PLEASE be careful in the turkey woods. The increased pellet count and penetration makes these loads not only more dangerous to turkeys, but also to fellow hunters. Clothing isn't going to slow these down much, and there's a good chance a victim would be looking at internal bleeding, lung damage, etc. instead of pellets embedded in the skin and muscle.

Of course I wouldn't want to be shot with the old lead bbs either, but just remember to be sure of your target and what lies beyond it. I doubt getting dusted with #9 TSS at 100-200 yards would be brushed off as it is in the dove fields.

BuckyT

Post by BuckyT » February 9th, 2016, 8:22 am

I still have a handful of those Winchester Extended Range High Density #5's.

Trex18

Post by Trex18 » April 14th, 2017, 8:52 am

Ok....so after reading this entire thread.....and doing research my self.......I'm going to camp next weekend and my friends are never going to believe me when i say .......1 5/8 oz of TSS 8 and 9s hit harder than 2 oz lead 4 at 40yds.

Is that correct?

How do I explain this?

TSS is heavier than lead
TSS is denser than lead
Carries more momentum and longer distances than lead
TSS doesnt deform like lead.

So if i take a piece of metal roofing like in this thread......

Shoot TSS 1 5/8th load at it....and a longbear 2oz load at it......I should get the same results? Holes vs Dents?

If so ....I'm buying a cheap NEF 20ga threading barrel and handloading next year.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”