Apex Components

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Swamp Hunter

Apex Components

Post by Swamp Hunter » January 30th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Does anyone know if Apex uses Mylar wraps in their loadings? Just curious I suppose. I'm no TSS guru like several on this board but in every loading recipe I've ever gotten when I buy shot, it calls for a wrap. Thanks.

Jstocks

Re: Apex Components

Post by Jstocks » January 30th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Keep in mind that not all recipes call for Mylar. I have 2 recipes for 2 different gauges that do not use Mylar.
Just to clarify:
When stated "I have 2 recipes" I am referring to recipes that were supplied to me by the shot supplier. I don't develop loads.
Last edited by Jstocks on January 31st, 2018, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » January 31st, 2018, 8:23 am

I think in the beginning some of their loads had Mylar but I believe that now they have developed loads with wads that doesn't require Mylar or lots of "fillers". This is just my assumption as I don't know this for a fact but I would think that they would want loads as simple and less time consuming as possible.

howl

Post by howl » January 31st, 2018, 1:43 pm

That'd be real interesting. I was thinking one of the hurdles for independent loaders was the lack of purpose built wads.

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » January 31st, 2018, 2:06 pm

If you get on their Facebook page and go way back to the beginning there is a video on their loading process and the guy is trimming a piece of Mylar in that video. I know that they have had a ton of loads tested and I would bout bet money that they tried to incorporate wads that voided the need of Mylar and or fillers as much as possible, like I said before I don't know it for a fact but if I was loading as much ammo as they are loading I would try to make it as simple as possible. I do know for a fact that one of the loads they are using now does require Mylar, it was one of the loads that was shared with them by one of the top TSS guru's, I was told that by one of the gentlemen that works for Apex but that is the only original recipes they still use, all of the rest of their loads have been developed by their R&D team.

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » January 31st, 2018, 2:10 pm

Jstocks wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 9:44 pm
Keep in mind that not all recipes call for Mylar. I have 2 recipes for 2 different gauges that do not use Mylar.
Just to clarify:
When stated "I have 2 recipes" I am referring to recipes that were supplied to me by the shot supplier. I don't develop loads.
I think any 20 ga. recipe that calls for the PT2090 wad (VP90) doesn't require Mylar, at least all the recipes I have using the VP90 doesn't.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”