Overshot Felt

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
BumbleFoot

Overshot Felt

Post by BumbleFoot » January 28th, 2018, 8:02 pm

For those of you in the know, when adding filler felt above the shot/buffer what diameter gauge is recommended and why? I’ve seen recipes that prescribe the same diameter as the hull (e.g., 12 ga felt in a 12 ga load) and—differently—smaller diameter felt than the hull (e.g., 20 ga felt above shot in a 12 ga hull). Seems like the latter might allow shot to rattle and buffer to shift. If that’s not so, is there any advantage one way or another? Or, no matter either way... :dontknow:

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Overshot Felt

Post by Spuriosity » January 29th, 2018, 11:46 am

I personally don't use felt above the shot. I prefer to trim and roll or design my star crimped shells where they don't require it. But if you need it in your load, felt diameter is not super critical. It really depends on whether your payload reaches the top of the wad. If it doesn't, you will need felt that fits within the shotcup, so 20 ga felt inside a 12 ga wad. If your payload is level with the top of the wad, then I would use 12 ga felt to fit the diameter of the hull.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”