TSS Hulls

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Tad

TSS Hulls

Post by Tad » January 28th, 2018, 7:30 am

Does anyone have a suggestion or opinion on which 3” 12 gauge Hulls to buy?

The recipe I got from the gentleman who sold me the TSS recommend 3” Fiocchi hulls with roll crimping.

BPI lists both unskived and skived Fiocchi hulls but further examination shows they are the same part number....and a phone call confirmed that they are all skived.

BPI also lists federal hulls available, but they are considetably longer than fiocchi and are still skived.

BPI has unskived cheddite, but they are also a different length

I have PM’d the gentleman who gave me the original recipe, but the last response I got semed to suggest that he wasnt aware that I bought the 4lbs of shot from him.....or that my queation might have seemed ridiculous. So any help would be great. I have all of the other components and am interested in getting some 3” 12 gauge shells loaded......just want to get the right hulls without needing to buy a hull trimmer too...

redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: TSS Hulls

Post by redarrow » January 28th, 2018, 8:10 am

Im sure one of the fellas that load the 12 ga. will chime in soon. Inre: to a hull trimmer you don't need to buy one. Make your own. Do a search here for hull trimmers. You will be amazed at how simple it is.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » January 28th, 2018, 8:27 am

What ever hulls the recipe calls for is what you should be using (brand) as changing components can cause pressure increases, chances are what ever hulls you are going to use is going to need trimmed anyway.

reminex

Post by reminex » January 28th, 2018, 8:34 am

I have no problem rolling either type. Get the fiochii 3".

reminex

Post by reminex » January 28th, 2018, 8:39 am

Also, IDK who you bought from but make sure you contact them in the same matter as you originally did or they may not know who you are. If you need a question answered and you don't want to post, feel free to pm me and I'll help as best I can.

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator » January 28th, 2018, 9:03 am

The fiochii 3' hulls from bpi will work fine. If the recipe don't call for trimming you shouldn't need to. I have roll crimped fiochii federal cheddites and Rio. They all take a great crimp.

Jamey

Post by Jamey » January 28th, 2018, 9:21 am

Your recipe calls for 3" Fiochi hulls.
BPI has 3" Fiochi hulls.
What's the question again? Why not just follow the recipe?
ImageImage

GALongbeardSmacker

Post by GALongbeardSmacker » January 28th, 2018, 4:11 pm

First off, the recipe isn't a "suggestion"... follow it exactly.

Tad

Post by Tad » January 28th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Yes, my recipe called for 3" Fiocchi hulls......But, it did not differentiate between skived and unskived.....and I had no idea what skived vs unskived was before I started this process. To make things complicated, BPI listed skived and unskived 3" Fiocchi hulls.....so in the process of trying to not need my hand held on making a decision between skived and unskived, I did some research that seemed to suggest if you are roll crimping, unskived would work better than skived. So, my decision was made, and I felt good that I had been able to figure it out before I placed an order that would make the final result unacceptable. Then I recognized that the Fiocchi hulls that were listed on one line as "skived" had the same item number as the Fiocchi hulls that were listed on a separate line as "unskived". So I called BPI....the guy I talked to there said that all of the Fiocchi hulls they have are "skived" and that they had them listed wrong. Nothing in my directions mentioned having to trim the hull to remove the "skiving", yet the guy at BPI suggested this would be best if I was going to roll crimp a "skived" hull. So, I was back to square 1. When I sent the next PM concerning the hulls and which ones to buy......1. skived Fiocchi ...and do I trim or don't I.......or 2. unskived cheddite, I got a response that suggested I wasn't really entitled to that information. The PM I sent showed up in the same "conversation" as the message I got with the original recipes, so I am not quite certain how I should have handled that differently. But its all good now. I got the information I needed. The gentleman I bought the shot from has since responded that the Fiocchi hulls are fine skived or unskived....which is what I needed to know. I have intentionally left names out because my goal was to load the shells, not ruffle any feathers. I appreciate all of the help and suggestions.

If I have offended anyone, I apologize.

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator » January 29th, 2018, 1:03 am

Skivved hulls roll crimp fine.

Southern Sportsman

Post by Southern Sportsman » January 29th, 2018, 11:20 am

They will roll and function fine with skived hulls, but for me, the rolls look better with unskived. So if I have enough hull (you need about a 1/4 inch above the overshot card) I will trim the hull a little. But that’s nit picky and entirely optional.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”