TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Post Reply
BumbleFoot
Posts: 117
Joined: February 14th, 2017, 9:28 pm

TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by BumbleFoot » January 25th, 2018, 10:31 pm

I was looking back at a year-old thread about TSS reloading start-up costs. In the comparatively short while I’ve been doing it, I’ve spent a small fortune. Let me see...I’ve bought: 1) a funnel; 2) 2 scoops; 3) 1 set of digital scales; 4) 1 powder trickler; 5) 1 hull vise; 6) 2 crimper dies; 7) 1 drill press; 8) wooden dowels; 9) exacto blades; 10) 1 shell case holder; and, then 15 lifetime supplies of selected components...

Way I figure it, if I live to be older than Methuselah and manage to successfully complete an all-gauge, world slam every year I’ll come close to breaking even. And, even if I don’t, it’s been fun and worth every penny!

User avatar
DBLGBL
Posts: 46
Joined: May 27th, 2017, 8:31 am
Location: Blacksburg VA

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by DBLGBL » January 26th, 2018, 5:14 am

But like the rest of us you know you have the best when you drop the hammer :D

2Gbl

jhogue
Posts: 125
Joined: September 13th, 2017, 4:08 pm
Location: Van Buren, Arkansas

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by jhogue » January 26th, 2018, 8:41 am

Much agreed on the startup costs being more than the $100 before components number I’ve seen several times. I decided I was going to build a shot trap as part of my start up cost to save as much TSS as possible from the beginning. I managed to construct it from all scrap materials I collected. So that was a large savings. The drill press alone was about $100. You definitely could buy just a roll crimper and hold onto shells with your bare hand (or construct your own shell vice) and buy a scale, funnel, and box blade and be super minimalist about the process. But I don’t think many folks that are willing to take the time and spend the money to get into hand loading intend to keep costs that low at the risk of some perceived poorer quality finished product. I decided quickly that I wanted more precision to trimming shells than I could do with a razor blade, and bought a good trimmer for two gauges. There’s $80 more. I attempted rolling shells with my hand drill. It worked, but I was uncomfortable with the lack of precision.

I definitely believe the costs are higher initially, but I like knowing exactly what’s in my shell and what to expect from it. If I miss, there is not blaming the shell or the gun or the choke.

User avatar
poorcountrypreacher
Posts: 562
Joined: July 10th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by poorcountrypreacher » January 26th, 2018, 8:56 am

I would argue that every man needs a drill press anyway, so that should not count in your start up costs. :)

Loading your own was the only way to get tss loads for about a decade. With the availability of commercial loads, just buying them may be a better option for some people. I'd still rather load my own.

jhogue
Posts: 125
Joined: September 13th, 2017, 4:08 pm
Location: Van Buren, Arkansas

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by jhogue » January 26th, 2018, 11:51 am

poorcountrypreacher wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 8:56 am
I would argue that every man needs a drill press anyway, so that should not count in your start up costs. :)

Loading your own was the only way to get tss loads for about a decade. With the availability of commercial loads, just buying them may be a better option for some people. I'd still rather load my own.
I assume from many other posts about start up costs, that many feel the same way you do about the drill press. I may need to check my man card at the door, but I barely knew they existed before learning about handloading TSS. Now that I have it though, I really enjoy it and presume it will find other uses in time. Prior to owning one, my hand drill did everything I ever needed (primarily building decks and deer stands).

User avatar
turkeyinstrut
Posts: 621
Joined: April 13th, 2016, 11:32 am

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by turkeyinstrut » January 26th, 2018, 11:56 am

jhogue wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 11:51 am
poorcountrypreacher wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 8:56 am
I would argue that every man needs a drill press anyway, so that should not count in your start up costs. :)

Loading your own was the only way to get tss loads for about a decade. With the availability of commercial loads, just buying them may be a better option for some people. I'd still rather load my own.
I assume from many other posts about start up costs, that many feel the same way you do about the drill press. I may need to check my man card at the door, but I barely knew they existed before learning about handloading TSS. Now that I have it though, I really enjoy it and presume it will find other uses in time. Prior to owning one, my hand drill did everything I ever needed (primarily building decks and deer stands).
The drill press is very handy for making different sized loading blocks that the hulls fit in correctly.

BumbleFoot
Posts: 117
Joined: February 14th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by BumbleFoot » January 26th, 2018, 12:29 pm

poorcountrypreacher wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 8:56 am
I would argue that every man needs a drill press anyway, so that should not count in your start up costs. :)

Loading your own was the only way to get tss loads for about a decade. With the availability of commercial loads, just buying them may be a better option for some people. I'd still rather load my own.
You got me there...I told my wife it was hers when I bought it. She wasn’t impressed. Coulda bought 2 guns easier as they all look the same to her.

User avatar
Gooserbat
Posts: 271
Joined: December 14th, 2013, 10:56 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by Gooserbat » January 26th, 2018, 1:43 pm

I set up myself to reload for well under$100. I use an antique roll crimper. Beautiful results.
I just came to squeeze the wattles.

Gobble
Posts: 60
Joined: February 23rd, 2015, 10:26 pm

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by Gobble » January 26th, 2018, 2:19 pm

My Start Costs - $148
Reloading Block - $10 (not needed but handy)
Shells Case - $4 (not needed but handy)
BPI Scale - $30
Shot Dipper - $5
Buffer Dipper - $2
Roll Crimper - $40
Dental Vibrator $40
Powder Trickler - $14 (not needed, never used)
Funnel - $3
Drill Press - Free from a friend.

User avatar
howl
Posts: 926
Joined: April 25th, 2013, 9:26 am
Location: Middle GA

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by howl » January 26th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Good grief. Next, y'all will bemoan the cost of whisky.

I saw a listing for old lead Win Supremes the other day. $9/BOX. Those 2oz loads will flat smoke a turkey inside 40 yards.

jhogue
Posts: 125
Joined: September 13th, 2017, 4:08 pm
Location: Van Buren, Arkansas

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by jhogue » January 26th, 2018, 3:06 pm

howl wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 2:23 pm
Good grief. Next, y'all will bemoan the cost of whisky.

I saw a listing for old lead Win Supremes the other day. $9/BOX. Those 2oz loads will flat smoke a turkey inside 40 yards.
Nah, just being realistic for people starting up. Gooserbat's method could definitely get you there, and yes you can get started pretty cheap. But realistically, most folks will want some of the things that make the process easier or more precise. Some people are much more mechanically inclined, or have specific skill sets learned before starting handloading that may make using a minimalist approach more realistic. Personally, when I started a couple months back, this was completely new to me, and things like a drill press and GAEP hull trimmers were the only way I felt comfortable crimping my own shells. I tried my hand at trimming shells with several box blade options and couldn't make them clean enough to roll down well. Same with the drill press vs. hand drill or old school manual crimpers. The other options can work, but prior skills lend a lot more to the success of using them over more precise methods. One thing I do on the cheap now is vibrating buffer into the shot. I use the thumb over the hull and tap method, so that cost is $0 as of now.

In any case, I'm not at all upset about any of the money I've spent. I'm also certain that I'll buy several other "unnecessary" things in time to try them out.

I buy cheap whisky often as well. $20-25/bottle Bulleit suits me just fine.

2Shooter
Posts: 779
Joined: January 6th, 2016, 9:18 pm
Location: North Georgia

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by 2Shooter » January 26th, 2018, 10:34 pm

poorcountrypreacher wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 8:56 am
I would argue that every man needs a drill press anyway, so that should not count in your start up costs. :)

Loading your own was the only way to get tss loads for about a decade. With the availability of commercial loads, just buying them may be a better option for some people. I'd still rather load my own.
Right on preacher!!! :thumbup:

User avatar
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 2531
Joined: May 16th, 2012, 10:29 am
Location: Lowcountry, GA

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by GLS » January 27th, 2018, 6:04 am

I've never looked at handloading tss because it was a money saving operation. It can be, but only if one handloads a quantity beyond a break even "X" number of shells which requires bean counting to establish that point and disregards the time factor. I handload below that break even point. I handload for the same reason I tie flies. I have exactly what I want when I need it. Gil

User avatar
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1808
Joined: July 8th, 2011, 9:06 pm
Location: KENTUCKY

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by OLE RASPY » January 27th, 2018, 7:38 am

jhogue wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 3:06 pm
howl wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 2:23 pm
Good grief. Next, y'all will bemoan the cost of whisky.

I saw a listing for old lead Win Supremes the other day. $9/BOX. Those 2oz loads will flat smoke a turkey inside 40 yards.
Nah, just being realistic for people starting up. Gooserbat's method could definitely get you there, and yes you can get started pretty cheap. But realistically, most folks will want some of the things that make the process easier or more precise. Some people are much more mechanically inclined, or have specific skill sets learned before starting handloading that may make using a minimalist approach more realistic. Personally, when I started a couple months back, this was completely new to me, and things like a drill press and GAEP hull trimmers were the only way I felt comfortable crimping my own shells. I tried my hand at trimming shells with several box blade options and couldn't make them clean enough to roll down well. Same with the drill press vs. hand drill or old school manual crimpers. The other options can work, but prior skills lend a lot more to the success of using them over more precise methods. One thing I do on the cheap now is vibrating buffer into the shot. I use the thumb over the hull and tap method, so that cost is $0 as of now.

In any case, I'm not at all upset about any of the money I've spent. I'm also certain that I'll buy several other "unnecessary" things in time to try them out.

I buy cheap whisky often as well. $20-25/bottle Bulleit suits me just fine.
Dang that’s some expensive whisky. I drink that $11.99 a fifth stuff. It all taste same and gives same effect. 😂😂
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)

2Shooter
Posts: 779
Joined: January 6th, 2016, 9:18 pm
Location: North Georgia

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by 2Shooter » January 27th, 2018, 7:56 am

GLS wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 6:04 am
I've never looked at handloading tss because it was a money saving operation. It can be, but only if one handloads a quantity beyond a break even "X" number of shells which requires bean counting to establish that point and disregards the time factor. I handload below that break even point. I handload for the same reason I tie flies. I have exactly what I want when I need it. Gil
Tell it all Gil!!! X2 :thumbup: :salute:

BumbleFoot
Posts: 117
Joined: February 14th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by BumbleFoot » January 27th, 2018, 9:55 am

GLS wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 6:04 am
I've never looked at handloading tss because it was a money saving operation. It can be, but only if one handloads a quantity beyond a break even "X" number of shells which requires bean counting to establish that point and disregards the time factor. I handload below that break even point. I handload for the same reason I tie flies. I have exactly what I want when I need it. Gil
Well stated! That gets to the core of why I started the thread. It’s never been about saving $$$. I simply enjoy (and can’t tie flies).

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1659
Joined: August 28th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by timbrhuntr » January 27th, 2018, 10:11 am

When I got into it the only thing I bought new was a lee loadall 2 0n sale at cabelas for $49 I already had the digital scale for making up arrows ! But it was also on sale for $49 if I would have had to by it to start up. I use the loadall for everything. So for me it was under 100 bucks to start up without the shot components.

Yule
Posts: 81
Joined: March 9th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Re: TSS Loading Start-up Costs — Revisited

Post by Yule » January 27th, 2018, 1:22 pm

What really gets me is what I am paying for Red Man and Levi.... just paid $10 for 3 oz. That's more expensive than TSS!

Reloading, now that's a necessity for me. Not so sure about the chew.... and yes, I spent a small fortune setting up to load 5 gauges of turkey shells.

Post Reply

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests