TSS for youth.

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
southpaw

TSS for youth.

Post by southpaw » January 21st, 2018, 11:48 pm

I am entertaining the idea of getting into the tss game. The main thing is for my kids. My boy 11. He has been shooting his youth 510 20 ga. target loads. I have shot his gun with 3" shells and I doubt he would like them. I can get by with this but we are looking at 30 yards at the max.

I was thinking about tss in the 20 or 410. Recoil is not problem for me but I would like to work my kids into it. I have their attention now. Within reason I don't mind spending money. I know what I can do now with my reloads (yes, I have been loading for 20+ years). Looking to venture out if there is a chance that we can have great patterns at 25 yards and good patterns at 40. Not looking to break any records, just kill birds.

I have a great reload for my 835 (not to mention the long beards) and some factor LB and 3" 20 LB and hevi 13. None of which should be shot by my kids. Recoil is a bit stiff.

My gain idea is to get a load that they can shoot without beating the heck out of their shoulder. If that is the 410 and they are limited to 30-35 yards then so be it. This is just a feeler to the veterans, I can already do 25 with the 410. I plan on getting the bird that close or closer, but I have misjudged distance before.

I guess the big question is should I go with tss for normal range birds to get a better pattern all around? I am hoping I can get a great pattern at 30 and a killing pattern at 40, is it possible?

Sorry for the rambled post but my brain goes this way and hey there's a squirrel!

Jerry Jr.
Last edited by southpaw on January 22nd, 2018, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: TSS for youth.

Post by GLS » January 22nd, 2018, 6:10 am

The Kyle Smith 20 gauge load shoots 1 oz of TSS at 1230 fps. Hal's 13/16 oz. .410 load runs about 1000 fps. Either load in the right gun is a 50 yard pattern. The Kyle Smith load requires two wads; 28 ga. and 20. The 28 wad becomes a sabot carrying the shot. Under normal hunting conditions with restraint exercised over distances, a lifetime of turkey hunting would be successful with either load. Gil

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity » January 22nd, 2018, 8:23 am

That's the beautiful thing about TSS - it is so versatile. You could lower the speed to Kyle's one ouncer to 1100 fps and have a pussycat that would absolutely smash birds at 40 (and beyond). I don't load for the 20, so don't have the data, but I'm sure Hal or Tommy has a soft shooter that they can hook you up with if you buy the shot from them.

howl

Post by howl » January 22nd, 2018, 9:31 am

The weight of the gun is a big part of the equation. A 5.5# youth gun maxes out for soft recoil with a standard velocity 3/4oz load, regardless of gauge.

If you get a gun as heavy as he can handle using a load going slow enough not to distract him, he may need some sort of sighting system to get a tightly choked load on target. As you already have a 20, I'd look at loads as above with some weight added in the butt stock if necessary and feasible.

Splittoe

Post by Splittoe » January 22nd, 2018, 9:31 pm

I use one of Kyle’s 1 oz loads for my daughter. I dropped the powder by 2 grains. She killed one last year with it. She was 7. I use a real open choke for max spread and limit her to 25 yards. I use a Knoxx 12 gauge stock with the adapter. It still kicks but she never knew it. She practiced with low recoil skeet loads.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”