Drill press or shot shell reloading press?

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
jhogue

Drill press or shot shell reloading press?

Post by jhogue » November 6th, 2017, 12:45 pm

I'm trying to get into loading TSS this year. I've noticed that most folks are using a drill press and some are using a regular hand drill. I have a hand drill, but since I'm a beginner, I'm no where near confident to load shells with it. I've been shopping for drill presses and find that there are single stage loaders for around $200, but it appears that they are made to only load one gauge of shell. Is it my best bet to pony up the money to buy a drill press, or is a loading press a good option? If I need to buy a drill press, how nice of one do I need and what capabilities does it need to have?

Thanks

jhogue

Re: Drill press or shot shell reloading press?

Post by jhogue » November 6th, 2017, 1:27 pm

I found this drill press on Harbor Freight's website for $67.99. Will it do the job?

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-sp ... 60238.html

hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hoobilly » November 6th, 2017, 1:30 pm

I so far have only used a star crimp. I have a roll crimp for 28&10ga but haven’t gotten around to loading them. Rather star crimp than roll them. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS » November 6th, 2017, 1:37 pm

It's hard to beat a vintage style hand cranked roll crimper for ease of use and set up. A MEC type press requires fiddling around with the stages to insure proper height for the load intended. A hand cranked crimper self adjusts to the load intended. Compact storage compared to a drill press or lever operated star crimper. gil

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » November 6th, 2017, 2:12 pm

jhogue wrote:
November 6th, 2017, 1:27 pm
I found this drill press on Harbor Freight's website for $67.99. Will it do the job?

This is the exact drill press I bought to load TSS, the thing is that you can put a roll crimp on any of the load recipes you get from your recipe supplier but a star (fold) crimp will raise the pressures if your recipe calls for a roll crimp. Most times the rise in pressures is minor but I have seen as much as a 1800 PSI difference between a roll and fold crimp. Maybe Hawlips or Shooter will chime in here and give their thoughts.

jhogue

Post by jhogue » November 6th, 2017, 3:22 pm

turkeyinstrut wrote:
November 6th, 2017, 2:12 pm
jhogue wrote:
November 6th, 2017, 1:27 pm

This is the exact drill press I bought to load TSS, the thing is that you can put a roll crimp on any of the load recipes you get from your recipe supplier but a star (fold) crimp will raise the pressures if your recipe calls for a roll crimp. Most times the rise in pressures is minor but I have seen as much as a 1800 PSI difference between a roll and fold crimp. Maybe Hawlips or Shooter will chime in here and give their thoughts.
Too easy. That's good enough for me. Thank you.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”