TSS buckshot opinions

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: TSS buckshot opinions

Post by Spuriosity » December 22nd, 2017, 8:38 am

SumToy wrote:
December 20th, 2017, 2:27 pm
I think around a Hm to a F going to be the place you want to be. Now that is based off the lead buck shot choke we play with.
Huh?

SumToy

Post by SumToy » December 22nd, 2017, 9:39 am

Spuriosity wrote:
December 22nd, 2017, 8:38 am
SumToy wrote:
December 20th, 2017, 2:27 pm
I think around a Hm to a F going to be the place you want to be. Now that is based off the lead buck shot choke we play with.
Huh?
Heavy Mod or Full. I know with lead loads we get any smaller the that it wants to blow pattern.

howl

Post by howl » December 22nd, 2017, 11:30 am

The more I think about this the more I lean to using #2 and shooting for the neck; especially since I want lighter loads. 2s will work with a regular turkey choke?

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips » December 22nd, 2017, 12:03 pm

howl wrote:
December 22nd, 2017, 11:30 am
The more I think about this the more I lean to using #2 and shooting for the neck; especially since I want lighter loads. 2s will work with a regular turkey choke?
Probably too tight...

VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard » January 2nd, 2018, 3:45 pm

Here is another opinion on chokes.......
I sent George Trulock an email about what size choke he would recommend for TSS T shot in my Remington 870, shooting a 1.5 ounce load. Here is what George said:

Sir,

As I have never tested the TSS in size T,  I cannot be sure but I would try our Predator Choke. This choke is longer than normal and has a .670 exit dia in the version to fit your Rem 870. If you decide to try this keep an eye open for choke creep although I really don’t think you will have a problem with that.

I would be very interested to know what sort of results you get.

George Trulock

Seems some think tighter constriction, some think looser. I have pretty much settled on in my mind trying either an extended full or extended improved modified from Carlsons. I got a feeling one of these will be very good with the Ts and risk no damage.

SumToy

Post by SumToy » January 2nd, 2018, 4:35 pm

VALongbeard wrote:
January 2nd, 2018, 3:45 pm

Seems some think tighter constriction, some think looser. I have pretty much settled on in my mind trying either an extended full or extended improved modified from Carlsons. I got a feeling one of these will be very good with the Ts and risk no damage.
I think you going to be good. I know Kicks runs XXF on buck shot. We just blow the pattern with our layout if we go that small. Now with the small shoot it works but steel dont like to be that small so I would think TSS would somewhat go in them lines.

That said the HV13 load that was T shot they ran out of a 665.

VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard » January 2nd, 2018, 5:19 pm

SumToy wrote:
January 2nd, 2018, 4:35 pm
VALongbeard wrote:
January 2nd, 2018, 3:45 pm

I think you going to be good. I know Kicks runs XXF on buck shot. We just blow the pattern with our layout if we go that small. Now with the small shoot it works but steel dont like to be that small so I would think TSS would somewhat go in them lines.

That said the HV13 load that was T shot they ran out of a 665.

I agree......one thing that I have run across on the Hevi-13 Dead Coyote loads with T shot is that the shot was frangible. If the shot was choked too tightly, it wouldn't hurt anything with the shot being able to fragment. This is not the case with TSS. It is definitely not frangible......

Some have shot the bigger shot out of tighter chokes, but I am not convinced at this point that is optimal. Honestly if I had to take an educated guess of best constriction for Ts, I am going to say extended full is where it is at without my own testing at the range.

SpitNDrumN

Post by SpitNDrumN » January 4th, 2018, 6:45 pm

If you’re shooting TSS just check the shot size restrictions on hunting deer with pellets in your State. Va has to be #4 buck or larger.

TSS BB’s is perfect for deer. With TSS 2’s right on their heels if you are hunting in thick brush with shots being around 50 yards and in. I know at 40 yards 2’s pass through a mature doe with most stopping and lodging under the skin on the opposite side.

VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard » January 4th, 2018, 7:05 pm

SpitNDrumN wrote:
January 4th, 2018, 6:45 pm
If you’re shooting TSS just check the shot size restrictions on hunting deer with pellets in your State. Va has to be #4 buck or larger.

TSS BB’s is perfect for deer. With TSS 2’s right on their heels. I know at 40 yards 2’s pass through a mature doe with most stopping and lodging under the skin on the opposite side.
Virginia doesn't have a restriction on shot size for deer unless it is a local ordinance. There is no general restriction on shot size with shotguns. The only restriction is for spring turkeys where no shot size bigger than number 2 fine can be used. Rifles have to be 23 caliber or larger. Not sure where you got that info from........ I have already checked the manual on this before getting started in this endeavor. Thanks for the heads up though.

howl

Post by howl » January 4th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Georgia says buckshot, but there is no definition in the reg.s for what is buckshot. Is it according to SAAMI? They say: "BUCKSHOT
Lead pellets ranging in size from .20” to .36” diameter normally loaded in shotshells." Or is it any shot that kills a buck?

Also in the reg.s is you can now use buckshot on WMAs. So, the question is whether those T2s you're carrying are intended for coyotes, hogs or deer; seasons for all of which are open concurrently. Can anyone tell the difference between 2s, BBs and T by sight without having more than one size side by side to compare? That's .15 vs .177 vs .2. I am assuming here that T shot passes for buckshot because of the SAAMI definition.

This reminds me of fellas always carrying their bow with them back in the day in SC. Bowhunting was either sex, but rifles might be buck only. They claimed an arrow run through a bullet hole was close enough.

K9Doc

Post by K9Doc » January 25th, 2018, 3:41 am

Still waiting to see some results!!!!
I need a good Yote killer to 75 yards myself

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”