Curious...

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
firedup

Curious...

Post by firedup » September 3rd, 2017, 8:14 pm

I was talking to a friend about loading TSS and he echoed my exact thoughts before I actually started do it. He didn't want to buy a loader and all the gear, ect. So it got me thinking, how many really do use a loader for TSS. Does it work ok? No more than I load just for turkin' hand loading is just fine by me. But I do see some reference to waterfowl and stuff. Again, just curious.

swampchicken

Re: Curious...

Post by swampchicken » September 3rd, 2017, 8:44 pm

All you really need is a good scale and a roll crimp bit for turkey loads and waterfowl loads.

Fl strutter

Post by Fl strutter » September 3rd, 2017, 9:03 pm

I thought it was too much at first also. It doesn't take near what u think. Do it! You won't regret it.

Jamey

Post by Jamey » September 3rd, 2017, 9:23 pm

If you use a loader it will be for crimping only... and not for charging the powder and shot. You can do it if you insist on an star crimped shell but most simply roll crimp and I think it makes a better crimp anyway.
ImageImage

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator » September 4th, 2017, 1:59 am

I use an old MEC 600jr 20ga to fold crimp. It eliminates the need to trim hulls. A finished fold crimp is shorter than a roll crimp, the fold crimps work perfect in my Benelli M2 20ga

howl

Post by howl » September 4th, 2017, 8:49 am

There's more than one way to skin a cat. I wasn't interested enough to do it until I saw the brass cases. Which reminds me. I better stop dragging my feet on ordering the 20ga cases.

UPEgger

Post by UPEgger » September 4th, 2017, 7:50 pm

I load .410 rounds with a powder scale and a 3/8"" by 6" wooden dowel. I buy my cheddite hulls already primed. I scale the powder and put it in the case. I use the wooden dowel to seat the wad/wads, add the shot and then roll crimp. I purchased the roll crimper from BPI. I have marked my wooden dowel,with felt tip marker, so I can check each case to make sure I have not double charged or no charged a bunch of cases.

Carl L.
White Pine, Mi

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity » September 4th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Shotgun press not required to load good TSS loads, but it does give you the flexibility to fold crimp vs roll crimping. Probably wouldn't buy one if I was just going to load a few turkey shells. I use a Mec 600 Jr that is 35+ years old and has loaded 10s of 1000s of shells to fold crimp one of my TSS loads; the other is roll crimped. Just depends on the load.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”